Aftermarket speakers for the Mazda CX-9, what have you done?

I do not need to rock the neighborhood anymore but the non Bose sound system in my 2012 CX-9 is pretty bad. I have been tolerating it for 3 months now since I purchased the car new. I had the Sirius module installed which I love. I just ordered 1 pair of the Kappa 6X8's to try out in the front doors. Fingers crossed hoping to avoid the amplifier route.

I installed the Kappas in the front doors yesterday. The sound is definately cleaner but still needs some help. The factory speakers are about the cheapest junk I have ever seen and it is no wonder they sounded so bad. I went ahead and ordered another pair of Kappas for the rear doors. A small powered subwoofer might be the next best solution from here.

Kappa Speaker install update

I noticed the left speaker sounded better than the right and realized I had connected the right side backwards and had the tweeter button pressed "in". I found wiring instructions (below) and changed the tweeter setting. Much better! The improvement over the factory speakers is significant. I did not get the deeper bass I had hoped for but it is punchier and I can live with it. The highs and mids are much cleaner. I am not sure how much the rear speakers will effect the front of the cab but I ordered a set anyway. The door panels were easy to R&R and this overall upgrade will only be $170.00. Well worth it.

Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue/Orange
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Violet
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Gray/Blue
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow/Green
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Green
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Green/White
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Yellow/Black
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow

instructions for reaching dash speakers?

I kept the factory head unit but replaced all my stock 2008 cx9 speakers (non-Bose). I replace the front dash speakers with Polk audio 3.5in (DXI350). Feed coming straight from factory unit. The factory front dash speakers where actually just 1 inch tweeters mounted into a 3.5 inch plastic spacer! The front door units i replaced with PA 5 x 7 (DXI570) and are also fed by the factory head unit. In the rear of the car i got a little fancier...in the rear doors I replaced the factory speakers with 8in infinity referance (860W) woofers! i had to modify the interior of the door(a little cutting here and there...) but they do fit in the factory position. Once the door panel was put back on...Whalla! Factory look! I also added D panel speakers PA 3.5in (DXI350). My CX9 had no speakers back there. (i think only the Bose cars have these...) I am feeding these four rear speakers with a four channel PA amp (PA200.4) mounted under the little storage compartmant in the rear hatch area. the amp gets installed this weekend...so ill let you know my final results...so far its been great! maybe if i get crafty ill even attach some pictures...

Could you let me know where you found instructions for removing the tweeters? Does the top portion of dash pop off?
Anyone else have instructions for this? I'd prefer NOT to pay someone.
Thanks in advance!

Yes, at least on the 2012 GT, the tweeter grills just pop off. On the drivers side the "solar radiation sensor" must be disconnected too.

for you guys that has the bose system this might help

MazdaBoseDiagram.jpg

Very helpful! Is this the same diagram for the CX-9 Bose? The title says "CX-7". I have a 2010 btw.

Hi,
I am writing to ask for your help. The diagram shows that the front door speakers are 9 in diameter. However, they mention that they have replaced it with Infinity or Polk Audio 5 x 7 or 6 x 9. Is this correct? BTW I have 2007 CX9 GT.

I installed DLS three ways in the front with Alpine PDX amps and am over the moon with the sound. Leaves the BOSE system for dead. Also replaced the head unit with a Pioneer deck. I did not like the BOSE system at all. Too muddy, no tweeters, muddy bass.

485333_10151388007283269_1525922939_n.jpg

546040_10151391526868269_52369623_n.jpg

They are 9" in size with the Bose system. Very unusual speakers. I replaced mine with a 6" in each door.

Back