P5 rear wheels/brakes overheating!!

well a little more info than that might help. but id say your rear caliper(s) are seized. but you left that to imagination with such little info on what exactly is happening. are the brakes hot?....the rims are hot?

if you have to ride the brakes alot(like in traffic) dont ever plan on touching the rims or rotors.....friction creates heat with will decapitate outwards from the source.....

Jack the rear end and spin the wheels.

Since both are dragging - i would suspect the parking brake cable is binding. As you work the handle up and down do the levers move on the calipers?

You can disconnect the parking brake cables from the calipers until you fix it. Keep wheel chocks with you in case you have to park on a hill...

if you have to ride the brakes alot(like in traffic) dont ever plan on touching the rims or rotors.....friction creates heat with will decapitate outwards from the source.....

Not usually a stickler for grammar or english, as mine communication skills suck. But "decapitate" means to remove one's head from one's body. lol, sorry.

Jack the rear end and spin the wheels.

Since both are dragging - i would suspect the parking brake cable is binding. As you work the handle up and down do the levers move on the calipers?

You can disconnect the parking brake cables from the calipers until you fix it. Keep wheel chocks with you in case you have to park on a hill...

^This was my guess as well.

I've had issues with my left rear caliper. It'll hang up. It will actually drag the wheel is the roads are snow covered.

In my case, the best fix has been routine maintenance. Once a year- usually when the snow wheels/tires are coming off, I'll take the calipers off their brackets and grease up the slide pins really good.

Back