Strange noises WTF!

15min5k

Banned
I've been hearing this clunking/ clicking noise right after disengaging the clutch into my 1st/ 2nd gear shift and sometimes just driving about at really low speeds around my apt complex. Once the speed increases and I’m into 3rd gear and up the noise isn’t present. There doesn’t seem to be any negative effects on the cars performance; it’s just annoying as hell! The noise seems to be coming from the underneath the front/ center of the car.

- Stock speed3 w/ approx 25k miles
- Transmission rebuilt @21k miles.

Anybody know what might be the problem?

Last edited:
iv never had that stock, but i just started getting it when i put in the TRZ motor mount, so i thouhgt it had something to do with that...

jacked the car up and saw that the one horizontal bolt was stripped, torqued it a bit too much i guess, so i figured just the slight movement of the mm might have caused that, so maybe your stock motor mount is going bad??

not too sure, but id look into that.

i had the exact thing tho, startng off, 1-2 and 2-3 but then u didnt hear it at all, and it was right when the clutch was disengaged and u started moving
right?

iv never had that stock, but i just started getting it when i put in the TRZ motor mount, so i thouhgt it had something to do with that...

jacked the car up and saw that the one horizontal bolt was stripped, torqued it a bit too much i guess, so i figured just the slight movement of the mm might have caused that, so maybe your stock motor mount is going bad??

not too sure, but id look into that.

i had the exact thing tho, startng off, 1-2 and 2-3 but then u didnt hear it at all, and it was right when the clutch was disengaged and u started moving
right?

YES! Thanks for the imput :)

anytime, i dont really know how to check if the rear motor is bad, but after i did some home fixing of the stripped bolt, it doesnt make it anymore, even tho i do hear something going into reverse, but its definately not what i heard before...

so thats where i would start good sir, best of luck to you!

I've been hearing this clunking/ clicking noise right after disengaging the clutch into my 1st/ 2nd gear shift and sometimes just driving about at really low speeds around my apt complex. Once the speed increases and Im into 3rd gear and up the noise isnt present. There doesnt seem to be any negative effects on the cars performance; its just annoying as hell! The noise seems to be coming from the underneath the front/ center of the car.

- Stock speed3 w/ approx 25k miles
- Transmission rebuilt @21k miles.

Anybody know what might be the problem?

DUDE! I have the same problem! I was telling Zimmer about this. It almost sounds like a sway bar bushing type of clunk. I havent been able to stick my head under there to see yet but I will keep an eye on this thread to see what happens when you go to the dealer.
And I will jack the car up this weekend and look at all the mounts..

DUDE! I have the same problem! I was telling Zimmer about this. It almost sounds like a sway bar bushing type of clunk. I havent been able to stick my head under there to see yet but I will keep an eye on this thread to see what happens when you go to the dealer.
And I will jack the car up this weekend and look at all the mounts..

Yeah I'll post an update once I find out more.

it was at 21K, and great damn movie, your avatar..
so good

There I go trying to prove how SMRT I am with math instead of just reading...and hell yeah it was great. Kinda disappointed in the last season though. But I don't want to thread jack.

It was rebuilt@21k because 4th gear was grinding really bad.

They made you wait till it destroyed itself before performing warranty work?

I love this car, but it has a tough act to follow. My other car, ('97 Chev Silverado 4X4) has been in the shop exactly 1 times since new.
I hope to stay as close to this number as a turbo car can.(burnout)

Update: Car is now at Mazda getting looked at/ worked on. Hopefully by the end of the day we'll now what the issue is/was. Until then I'm driving around in a 08 Mazda3 sedan with the whopping 2.0liter as a rental. Not a bad little car.

any update? This just happen to me today and i'm not going to have a chance to take a look at it till thursday. Hope its not a tranny issue that requires a rebuild.

Last edited:
i'm glad i couldn't sit still after hearing that noise. It turns out to be the bracket that held the filter on my cobb intake. The nut came undone and i just loctite that sucker up and noise is gone. Just some info just in case somebody else experiencing something similar.

lol i wished i saw it before i went under my car to check my motor mount.

Back