How-to 10-15WHP dyno proven For Free.

I cut mine, not as much as mazdaspeedjay, just enough to expose the IC. I suppose the only way to prove any gains would be a b4 & after dyno. But the way i look at it is anything that would create less of a restriction for cool air to get to the IC has to help keeping temps down, & cooler temps HAVE to equal better performance.

AD07, I think the argument against this is that the turbulent air compared to the dyno's consistent air delivery would not hit the IC properly on-road conditions. Amirite?

Yeah, would definately be different on a dyno but in real time driving on the road the air forced on to the IC would be at an advantage if it isnt restricted. Approx, 1/4 to 1/3 of IC is restricted in airflow because of a black plastic cover, that, in my opinion doesnt do much more than cause more heat soak.

FWIW, my Aerogauge shows no improvement in the charge temp. reading with the cover off versus on doing a 10 minute same conditions run.

FWIW, my Aerogauge shows no improvement in the charge temp. reading with the cover off versus on doing a 10 minute same conditions run.

are you looking at the IAT sensor? because that is in the MAF housing and in no way effected by the intercooler.

just fyi.

the only thing I can think that would help the stock intercooler cover is if you cut the plastic mesh off of it. this would free up the air flow slightly (I mean, it's really still debatable if it would do anything at all), but if you start cutting the ducting more than that, you're losing the whole point of it, which is to make air go through the core, not around it. maybe you saw gains on a dyno because it's letting more heat up and through the cover rather than keeping it around the intercooler, but that is all. I couldn't imagine any real world increase by doing this, let alone 15 hp (which is hardly worth it, considering you've now ruined your intercooler cover).

What are you talking about everyone and there mother who got a FMIC kit said there boost went up cause of it. The stock Boost control system will boost cut you over a certain amount of boost but it doesn't mean the car wont be able to hit X amount of boost. don't compare this car to other cars. Like Srt-4s when they get a Fmic there boost drops but it more efficient power. It doesn't work that way on this car. Add an intake and FMIC and watch your boost jump 3+ psi......

ask everyone and their mother who has the turbo xs front mount. their boost went down.

Nope, I am looking at the "Charge Temp" reading off the post IC sensor..the Aerogauge will read in the IAT and this sensor.

interesting.

I wonder how these people are getting more dyno horsepower off of this mod... for the size, the stock intercooler is pretty well engineered. seems like "unengineering" it wouldn't yeild any extra power.

I agree with your point that taking the entire cover off like I did might decrease airflow over all but my run with ON/OFF didn't really show this either.

oh I ran with the shroud off for a while, because I forgot to put it back on after I put my diverter valve on... I didn't notice a difference at all. 10 hp on a motor with 300 isn't really noticable to me though.

interesting.

I wonder how these people are getting more dyno horsepower off of this mod... for the size, the stock intercooler is pretty well engineered. Seems like "unengineering" it wouldn't yield any extra power.

Not really surprising. On a dyno with the hood open, taking off the shroud should allow heat from the motor to escape around the IC, plus the IC has more exposed surface area, so it should be cooler while sitting there. On the road with the hood closed, the air that gets scooped up and channelled through the under hood ducting comes out and blows across the top of the IC sort of aimlessly instead of being directed through the IC fins.
The general debate here hasn't been if it makes more power on the dyno, but if it is one of those freakish, annoying things that looks good there, but actually hurts you on the road.

Not really surprising. On a dyno with the hood open, taking off the shroud should allow heat from the motor to escape around the IC, plus the IC has more exposed surface area, so it should be cooler while sitting there. On the road with the hood closed, the air that gets scooped up and channelled through the under hood ducting comes out and blows across the top of the IC sort of aimlessly instead of being directed through the IC fins.
The general debate here hasn't been if it makes more power on the dyno, but if it is one of those freakish, annoying things that looks good there, but actually hurts you on the road.

that is a longer way of saying what I said at the top of this page.

like exactly what I said.

Back