Protege 5 rust

I spent $500 to cut out my rear wheel arch panels and get them replaced and repainted as well as getting the hole in the hatch fixed.I live in Toronto and every week I get my car up on a hoist and I wash the underbody and wheel arches. and I also wash the car body. SO far its keeping rust away, and I also bought a can of POR-15 to paint over some rusty spots such as in the engine bay.

Did they paint the quarters as well ? If so where u get it done cuz I need to get my quarters replaced on the mp3 in the spring

Did they paint the quarters as well ? If so where u get it done cuz I need to get my quarters replaced on the mp3 in the spring
Yeah they painted the quarters as well, its a private shop and my friend knew the guy too. The place is on Barbados Blvd, a street right in between speedy auto glass and a dodge dealership on Eglinton Ave. If you want I can give you the number also, as im sure you'll get a reasonable price.

My car is a complete mess right now, I'll try to give cliffnotes, I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba and did wash my car and waxed it. I'm the 2nd owner and have owned it for 4 years (03 P5)

-Need to use a piece of wood for spare tire jack to spread out weight, crunches right through
-Wheel arch on right side completely rusted away
-Right side strut tower is scary.

When I got hit, the bodyshop guy said I should have fought harder for it get written off. MPI (Manitoba's insurance) valued my car at $4000 with the bodyshop charging them $3100. Bodyshop guy was very helpful, said next time any accident happens come to him because he wll fight for me to get car written off. Basically, he says my car is only worth salvage value and that the strut tower might give up in a year or two.

I knew about the rust problems of the model before, but figured Manitoba has dry winters that it wouldnt be a problem.......worst purchase of my life easily.

Anything I could do to slow down the rust?

Last edited:
depends on the color and region...

what color is your car? the yellow p5s have a single stage paint and clearcoat, and are notorious for clearcoat failure.

I have the 03 yellow beauty.. rust is unreal panels over both rear wheels are deteriorating so much the bumped clips are gone.. also mad rust around the windshield.. other than that she looks great, interior is black and yellow leather with Mazda stitching.. have a din dvd and headrest monitors ..subs and 6x9s all that jazz.. the rust is killing me through and in Canada it's costly to fix to only drive it6 months a year too keep it out of the snow and salt

I spent $500 to cut out my rear wheel arch panels and get them replaced and repainted as well as getting the hole in the hatch fixed.I live in Toronto and every week I get my car up on a hoist and I wash the underbody and wheel arches. and I also wash the car body. SO far its keeping rust away, and I also bought a can of POR-15 to paint over some rusty spots such as in the engine bay.

What I'm in toronto too bro and have the yellow 03 rust is killing me.. where did you get the panels replaced, can you hook me up?.. been thinking of trying something myself not sure where tooo start though.. any advice would be huge

Amusing that so many threads like these exist on this forum, yet there are members insisting Mazda doesn't have a problem...cause they detail cars in the west where there is no rust anyway. Right...

Mine is in bad shape despite undercoating and washing. Nothing prevents existing rust from spreading except cutting out the infected area, replacing with new metal, and painting both sides. If you can't do that work yourself, then it likely isn't worth it from a financial standpoint. I guarantee if you have the typical rear wheel well rust already, your front fenders, rocker panel, and doors aren't far behind. So if you truly are interested in repairing the car and keeping it then you can't just stop at repairing what you see. Now is the time to make a decision: offload the car or make a serious investment in repairing it. I recommend the former.

Last edited:
I have the lifetime rust warranty and when I got oil sprayed in June the Joe the owner said to start saving for a new car in a couple years because its rusting underneath pretty bad. Sym-tech warranty has came through a couple times over the years, painted the doors and rear fenders for me. (nana)

Back