CR-V vs CX-7 Commercial

lisevolution said:
That's kind of how I'm feeling about the Acura. I think the biggest thing is the I-pod and having to use an RF adaptor to get it to work...Overall the RDX is just a tad bit bland to me. On the flip side, in the fall we'll be seeing the EX25/35 from Infiniti the Q5 from Audi, a new Highlander from Toyota etc. I know I'll love the curves and shape of the EX as the pictures I've seen are just plain sexy, takes the existing FX to the next level. Appearance wise the CX7 has the RDX by a mile. The acura is just plain, and as I said, the interior was just plain bland. Yes the blue dash is nice and the leather is a tad bit nicer but not really that much nicer

OMG, I just checked out the Infiniti web site and looked at the EX...the interior is positively stunning! WOW! Of course, it's TOTALLY out of my league....definately out of my budget. (headshake

Vince.

How about someone find the commercial and link it? I think that was the original topic of this thread.

Oh and I'll take a Mazda over a Honda or almost any other manufacturer for that matter. :p

getting back to the commercial, it only makes sense for Mazda to go after the CRV or the RAV - thats the meat of the market. It could obviously attack the RDX or Murano, but there isnt much revenue there. Even tho the 7 is a step up from the Honda, CRV's sell in upwards of 20k units a month, thats where the $$ is.

1killercls said:
Please elaborate.

In Europe a major study has just declared Mazda the most reliable brand. I'm not up to speed with resale numbers from Europe, but that has to have an impact. In Canada the Mazda product is higher regarded than in the US as well. The Mazda 3 is the number one car in Canada for resale value. The Acura TL takes a big kick in resale here, I expect the RDX to have similar resale to the TL. I would go out on a limb and say the CX-7 will beat the RDX in resale, but I think beacause the CX-7 outsells the RDX 10 to 1 in Canada the extra availabilty will probalby make it about equal.

The CX-9 is certainly the equivalent of the MDX and the new 6 will be very competitive with the TL even though it is a class down from the TL.

That's the point Mikey was trying to make. Saying "a Mazda isn't an Acura" doesn't hold the same weight it did 5 years ago and it holds even less weight in Canada/Europe than in the US.

HeavyH20 said:
Well, when I was considering vehicles, it was between the Murano and the CX-7. I never even considered the CR-V.

When I looked into replacing my Ford Explorer Sport, I seriously considered only the Murano and was ready to talk shop with the dealership. Hours before I discovered the Mazda on the internet, went to take a test drive and decided to buy the Mazda that day.

I believe these cars can be comparison shopped, simply because I did.

Mazda3 said:
In Europe a major study has just declared Mazda the most reliable brand. I'm not up to speed with resale numbers from Europe, but that has to have an impact. In Canada the Mazda product is higher regarded than in the US as well. The Mazda 3 is the number one car in Canada for resale value. The Acura TL takes a big kick in resale here, I expect the RDX to have similar resale to the TL. I would go out on a limb and say the CX-7 will beat the RDX in resale, but I think beacause the CX-7 outsells the RDX 10 to 1 in Canada the extra availabilty will probalby make it about equal.

The CX-9 is certainly the equivalent of the MDX and the new 6 will be very competitive with the TL even though it is a class down from the TL.

That's the point Mikey was trying to make. Saying "a Mazda isn't an Acura" doesn't hold the same weight it did 5 years ago and it holds even less weight in Canada/Europe than in the US.

I think I will just agree to disagree here. I mean you are now comparing the 3 to the TL! (bang)

1killercls said:
I think I will just agree to disagree here. I mean you are now comparing the 3 to the TL! (bang)

yea, only for resale value and im sure nothing else. i dont think he was intending to say the 3 is a better vehicle.

Gonna knock out a few responses here, bear with me.............

mikey1981 said:
i just do not buy the "the mazda is no acura" theory. I know some members on this board say the mazda is no acura, all im saying is besides the interior, WHY NOT?

I agree here. Compared to what Mazda was putting out a few years ago, the new Mazdas, esp. the CX7 and 9 are light years beyond where the were in terms of near everything. Fit, finish, quality, features, and many more. I will need to find the quote, but the current CEO said that he wants to be on par with Lexus and Acura in terms of quality, reliability and a few other things. People though I was crazy to pay as much as I did for a Mazda but when they saw it they all thought I put a Mazda badge on some other vehicle. They were very impressed and though it was work evey penny.

--------------

1Sleepy93 said:
How about someone find the commercial and link it? I think that was the original topic of this thread.

Oh and I'll take a Mazda over a Honda or almost any other manufacturer for that matter. :p

I searched a good bit last night and couldn't find it. If someone can find it, please post a link to it.

--------------

tdf2001 said:
When I looked into replacing my Ford Explorer Sport, I seriously considered only the Murano and was ready to talk shop with the dealership. Hours before I discovered the Mazda on the internet, went to take a test drive and decided to buy the Mazda that day.

I believe these cars can be comparison shopped, simply because I did.
I totally agree. When we were search for an upgrade for my wifes car we had been looking at the FX35/45, the Murano, and Lexus RX330. I knew about the CR-V but I can't have a honda in the driveway.

We happen to see the CX-7 commercial with the hikers in the woods and the guys listens to the road and, well, you know the rest. It took a little bit to get to a dealer to look at one. Once we/she saw it she knew it fit the style that she wanted. We compared the value of the CX-7 with what we wanted [crossover platform, navigation, leather, quality interior, HIDs traction control, and many more] and the CX-7 was a better value. Plus, I get the SPlan so that really helped.

Anyhow, maybe it was the way we were shopping, but for reasons beyond the no Honda in the driveway thing we didn't even consider the CR-V. We compared the vehicles in a higher price range. Maybe that was because we were willing to spend a bit more to purchase the vehicle.

Maybe with the commerical Mazda is trying to pursuade those that didn't want to spend the extra 3-4k that the value is there and a step up from the Honda to the Mazda is a good choice.

Last edited:
I have to agree. We looked at the Lexus 330, FX 35 and even the MDX before in addition to the Murano before we picked up the Mazda. It was such a good value, it was hard to resist.

1killercls said:

I was using the 3 as an example of Mazda's resale in Canada. Giving an example of how Mazda is in higher regard here than the US. The Mazda 3 is the number one selling car in Canada this year, its not even close to number one in the US. The TL is two classes of car above the 3, so I wasn't comparing the two. There are no used CX-7's so I had to use a different example to make my point.

Mazda3 said:
In Europe a major study has just declared Mazda the most reliable brand.

Well, here in Canada, the CX-7 has been the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned. And I've had two F-150's, so that's saying a lot. (hi)

Mazda3 said:
I was using the 3 as an example of Mazda's resale in Canada. Giving an example of how Mazda is in higher regard here than the US. The Mazda 3 is the number one selling car in Canada this year, its not even close to number one in the US. The TL is two classes of car above the 3, so I wasn't comparing the two. There are no used CX-7's so I had to use a different example to make my point.

The reason the Mazda3 is the best selling car in Canada is due to the price of our automobiles. It's an issue we've always had (and always will, unless our dollar reaches parity / they actually decide to adjust our prices downward, OR the US vehicles adjust upward and then we'll see both countries selling tons of Mazda3's)

The average mazda3 sells for around 22k. If you look at what costs 22k in the US, you have many more high(er) end vehicles to choose from.

koala said:
Well, here in Canada, the CX-7 has been the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned. And I've had two F-150's, so that's saying a lot. (hi)

Ouch.(nuts)

Saw the commercial....CR-V as a competitor was a little surprising.....CX 7 has an easy win over that. Comparing to a Murano, new Outlander and Rav 4 is more like it. I like the look of the Murano 2nd but it has a harsh ride and interior is so-so and it costs more. Outlander is better restyled but still not the quality and ride of a Mazda. CX 7 seems to be the best value and most fun and has the best styling for your dollar! Zoom, Zoom!!
P.S. I love Acura's but the RDX on the outside just doesn't do it for me....looks small and smashed!

I pulled up next to one of those outlanders and it sure seemed a lot smaller than the 7. More like a competitor to the Forester.

AWmustang said:
I pulled up next to one of those outlanders and it sure seemed a lot smaller than the 7. More like a competitor to the Forester.

IMHO, Foresters and Outlanders look like station wagons, not CUV or SUVs. (yupnope)

Vince.

cruzdreamer said:
P.S. I love Acura's but the RDX on the outside just doesn't do it for me....looks small and smashed!

I checked out the RDX after buying my CX-7 to see if I'd made a mistake, and while I found the interior was excellent, I cannot get over the styling of the body. It's one ugly thing, IMO. All these creases and weird body panels. Hard to put my finger on. Pricewise, in Canada, they are very close. The CX-7 GT AWD w/o Tech was $37,000 and the base RDX $41,000.

Haven't seen the CR-V commercial, infact have only ever seen one CX-7 commercial - with the flying duck garden-thing. Come-on marketing ...

Well I don't see the CRV being competiotn for the CX-7, I do see the benefit to Mazda to compare them in the Canadian market.

The top line CRV EX-L lists at about $36,500 including freight, PDI and block heater. The CX-7 GT AWD with everything except NAV lists at about $39,900. The CX-7 is twice the vehicle in every area (except gas mileage) for only $3k more and its $10k less then a Murano. So for value purposes I guess the comparison is relevant.

Back