MAZDASPEED 3 CAI Gains Comparison Depot

Speedy3

Contributor
:
2007 Cosmic Blue MS3
Place all your before and after Cold Air Intake comparisons, including output results from wheel dynos, g-meters, SW Dynos, and whatever else you can come up with. The goal here is to compare CAIs price vs performance. Include any environmental data you have from the test.

No discussions in this thread please. Revert to one of the other threads on the brand of CAI to discuss results.

Last edited:
MAZDASPEED 3 Stock vs MAZDASPEED Cold Air Intake - 3rd Gear
MAZDASPEED CAI Cost $325.00

Dynojet Research Dynos were run on 2 different days. Dyno with MAZDASPEED CAI was run on 3-5-07 and Dyno with stock airbox was run on 3-6-07. Yes, I had to take off the MS CAI and re-install the stock hardware! Actually, I'm still stuck with the stock HW cause I don't have time to change it.

Dynojet Research Dyno on MAZDASPEED 3 in Stock Configuration
  • Ambient Temp=64 deg. F
  • Atmospheric Pressure=29.80 in-Hg
  • Humidity=50%
  • Correction Factor=SAE 0.98
  • 2 Large Cooling Fans placed 5 ft. from front of car
  • Hood Closed
  • Runs in 3rd gear only
  • Runs started at about 2k RPM and stopped at about 6250 RPM.

Dynojet Research Dyno on MAZDASPEED 3 with MAZDASPEED CAI
  • Ambient Temp=63 deg. F
  • Atmospheric Pressure=29.90 in-Hg
  • Humidity=53%
  • Correction Factor=SAE 0.97
  • 2 Large Cooling Fans placed 5 ft. from front of car
  • Hood Closed
  • Runs in 3rd gear only
  • Runs started at about 2k RPM and stopped at about 6250 RPM.

Results:
  • 10.14% HP (24.2 HP)
  • 10.28% Torque (24.8 ft-lbs)

Attachments

• MAZADASPEED3_Stock_vs_MS_CAI_Hood_Closed_from_WINPEP_b.jpg
    MAZADASPEED3_Stock_vs_MS_CAI_Hood_Closed_from_WINPEP_b.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 3,847
  • Averages_Hood_Closed_Stock_vs_MS_CAI.jpg
    Averages_Hood_Closed_Stock_vs_MS_CAI.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 595
Last edited:
Nice gains man, I will be going this saturday to see what my numbers are. I'll be sure post the results in here.

07 MS3 - True Red - Turboxs Hybrid BOV - Turboxs Race Pipe - MazdaSpeed CAI
RIP: 03 LS 350z - Injen Super SES - MSR 088's

SwampAss said:
mine

It's legit. My friend will back my story.

Although very impressive and creditable looking, there are no y-axis lables so its eliminated. (wink)

dear lord guys... (granted that is some funny s***) lets at least try to keep this thread on the topic of posting legit CAI info on the MS3... may wipe this up later if it causes trouble...

Lol

tsunami said:
dear lord guys... (granted that is some funny s***) lets at least try to keep this thread on the topic of posting legit CAI info on the MS3... may wipe this up later if it causes trouble...

Man...I thought that was the best part of the thread. (gtfo)

Why are you guys pulling in 3rd? or even 4th?Gear ratios

According to this spec sheet, 5th gear is the closest to 1:1 meaning that is the gear you should be using. this explains why my dyno numbers were alot lower than everyone elses. I guess in the end it doesn't matter as long as you use the same gear every time to test stuff. the numbers are just inflated.

Wait i just saw something on my own web link. why does it say 5-6 th have a different final drive than 1-4th?
Hmm anyone know?

justa4banger said:
Wait i just saw something on my own web link. why does it say 5-6 th have a different final drive than 1-4th?
Hmm anyone know?
OMG! You got the two speed rear end option!

justa4banger said:
Hmm anyone know?
I thought this tranny had something funny that made the final drive for 1-4 different from 5-6.

justa4banger said:
Why are you guys pulling in 3rd? or even 4th?Gear ratios

According to this spec sheet, 5th gear is the closest to 1:1 meaning that is the gear you should be using. this explains why my dyno numbers were alot lower than everyone elses. I guess in the end it doesn't matter as long as you use the same gear every time to test stuff. the numbers are just inflated.
no, you are right, when i owned my dyno(dynojet 224) you ALWAYS do it in the 1:1 that way you measure true horsepower, not gear power....All the kids would want it done in third cause there is a 5-20hp difference... Good to know that 5th is teh closest to 1:1....

Final-drive ratio: gears 14, 3.94:1; gears 56, 3.35:1

None of these equate anywhere near 1:1. 6th gear(the closest to a 1:1 ratio) has a torque multiplier of 0.85*3.35 = 1:2.85. Meaning that the engine turns 2.85 rotations for every 1 rotation the drive wheels turn.

Since dynojet's measure drum acceleraton and engine rpm (from ignition firing), mathmatically it should compute the same horsepower regardless of gear. With one exception... That being friction. Since the higher the torque multiplier, higher the friction coefficient. The example below demonstrates the frictional losses on a turbcharged VW R32 running through its first 5 gears. 1st and 2nd gear are quite low due to turbo spool-up, but you can see my point in gears 3,4, and 5. Where each one shows progressively more power. This is due to less friction from less torque mulitiplication.

s4_fwd_multi_gear_01_800.jpg

Dynojet's work based on the time it takes to move the drum (fixed known inertia), and ignition firing to determine engine RPM. From that, software determines the torque multiplication at the wheels, and converts it into nice readable graphs.

While these measurements are taken from the wheel, it is important to remember that the actual torque at the wheels is much higher than what the graph states. Since its job is to factor out the gear amplification.

Example, say a MS3 dynojet graph shows a peak torque value of 280ft/lbs while being dyno'd in 4th gear. At the wheel, the actual torque meeting the drum is roughly 1290ft/lbs. This is down converted for the graph because the computer knows how many engine rotations were made during the time it accelerated the drum to record that amount.

Then based on that corrected torque number, the simple (torque*RPM)/5252 = Horsepower formula can be applied and plotted.

Back