New Rotors, and Pads.

hyck

:
Mazda 3i
Ok, I think I did a pretty good search in Google, and in the forum, and read most of the 120 post Thread "difference between slotted brakes and drilled brakes," which was real cool, but still couldn't find out from where to buy some performance rotors, and pads, for a decent price. The last time I went to the track, last year, I was driving with really, really warped rotors, it was scary, and now its almost time for the next track day, so I really need some new rotors and pads. Thanks

Try CTA Motorsports. I've been buying my brakes from them for the last 5 years. Good prices, and the guy really knows his stuff. Certified car-nut!

hyck said:
Ok, I think I did a pretty good search in Google, and in the forum, and read most of the 120 post Thread "difference between slotted brakes and drilled brakes," which was real cool, but still couldn't find out from where to buy some performance rotors, and pads, for a decent price. The last time I went to the track, last year, I was driving with really, really warped rotors, it was scary, and now its almost time for the next track day, so I really need some new rotors and pads. Thanks

hyck said:

Hyck, stick with STOCK rotors. Slotted or x-drilled (especially) won't do you any good on a track. Stock rotors have more cooling and braking surface. X-drilled are much more prone to cracking (99% of aftermarket x-drilled are drilled, not cast, holes).

Key is to get track-only pads for ther track and maybe upgrade your fluid. Or.... spring for those really nice Brembo GT kits that just came out for our cars.

Just a comment on the x-drilled rotors. If you're in a northern climate, it only takes 1 winter for all of those holes to get filled with rust! Trust me, I've tried it, and I'll never do it again.

I can imagine the slotted rotors will eventually fill with rust too.

I'd stick with stock rotors if I were you.

dcomiskey said:
Hyck, stick with STOCK rotors. Slotted or x-drilled (especially) won't do you any good on a track. Stock rotors have more cooling and braking surface. X-drilled are much more prone to cracking (99% of aftermarket x-drilled are drilled, not cast, holes).

Key is to get track-only pads for ther track and maybe upgrade your fluid. Or.... spring for those really nice Brembo GT kits that just came out for our cars.

Last edited:
the stock rotors warp too fast, i am not sure but I might just get some performance rotors, but not s/d, I was checking out the rotora rotors, what do you guys think about them

i go to maybe like 2-3 track events, and 5-6 autox a year, so I wanna get some rotors that will last the longest, and with which pads would you guys go, hawk hps, or ebc greenstuff, thanks

EBC does a "sport rotor" that is supposed to be the best of both worlds in terms of having smaller slots and dimples rather than holes. I know that NSN Motorsports sells EBC pads and rotors - so that is an option.

hyck said:
the stock rotors warp too fast, i am not sure but I might just get some performance rotors, but not s/d, I was checking out the rotora rotors, what do you guys think about them

Most rotors don't "warp." You get a vibration because you are applying a super hot pad on the rotor for an extended period of time (like when you park after some hot laps and put the parking brake on) and the pad material basically fuses to the surface of the rotor. After that, when you hit the brakes, you get that warbling feeling, but it's not warping. It's going to happen even more so if you are running on non-track pads which will break down when extremely hot. Warping is mostly a myth. Stock rotors can absorb and dissipate the most heat. Unless you get an aftermarket floating rotor (which I don't think is available for our cars), stick with the OEM and upgrade your pads and fluid. Slotted and/or x-drilled aren't going to perform any better. On 99% of the car out there, those things are for LOOKS ONLY.

Oh, and DO NOT purchase anything EBC. Their products are s***. I've yet to hear of a good experience with their pads, which have a nasty habit of eating rotors faster than you can blink.

Again, it would help if you said what setup you used at the track.

EDIT: I just saw you asking about EBC greens and HPS. DO NOT EVER use greens. They are only for street use and eat rotors - and will destroy then if you use them on the track.

DO NOT use HPS on the track. They are also street-only. I've used them for years and they are awesome on the street. On the track, I will get them to fade in two laps easy. I started using Hawk Blues last year, which are a racing pad, and the difference was night and day. They NEVER fade. So, I think you might need to do a lot more research about what you should be taking to the track. I'm not knocking you, just trying to get you headed in the right direction. (group)

Last edited:
dcomiskey, thanks for the advises, I see what you are saying, but I am not sure if I should put anything track only, because its also my daily. About my setup, I wouldn't call it a setup, its pretty much what is on my sig.

you might as well upgrade your brakes to the larger ones used on the 2.3l car since you're already doing a brake job... it's all bolt on

hyck said:
dcomiskey, thanks for the advises, I see what you are saying, but I am not sure if I should put anything track only, because its also my daily. About my setup, I wouldn't call it a setup, its pretty much what is on my sig.

I meant get the race-only pads just for the track. I swap my pads in/out at the track on track days. Although, I haven't gone with my MS3 yet, so I dont' know how easyt/difficult it is compared to VWs.

By using two sets of pads, you get the best performance for the circumstances. No street pad is good for track use and vice versa.

theMan, yeah that is probably what I am going to do, is it only the brackets I need? Do you know that is the difference in the sizes? Thanks

Back