Frozen brakes

Tom03es

Mile High Zoom-Zoom
Contributor
:
2003 Protege ES
We are getting our first snow storm of the year today. And really, this is the first time this car has been driven in the snow since we've owned it (year and a half). It sat out last winter after my wife stayed home with our new born kiddo.

Anyway, I went to lunch. When I parked, I put it in P and set the parking brake (even though I live in KS and there isn't a hill to be found around here), just like I always do. Air temp is about 16*F with lots of snow coming down. On my way back to work, the car handled and the engine behaved like I was dragging one of the rear wheels. It wasn't until I finally hit a section of snow-free road that busted the stuck wheel free and the car went back to handling and acting normal.

My brakes are due for replacement- all around at 39K miles. Is there anything beside replacing the brake pads, regreasing the caliper slide pins, and bleeding the fluid that I should be looking for? This is the first car with rear discs that I've driven for any extended period of time like this so I'm not too familiar with the whole rear disc caliper set up.

The rear brakes have also made some noise after it rains or early in the morning when it's humid. I believe there's a TSB about this. Do you think this and my new problem are related? Certainly seems that way.

Thanks for any help!

your rear calipers could be seizing, you also said you put the car in p (I'm guessing you mean park so the car is an automatic) so if the park brake isnt used very often your park brake could be seizing up instead of your calipers, and as for your some noise after it rains or early in the morning when it's humid, thats normal its due to the metal content in the pads they are propably a semi-metalic pads

Back