Very disappointed..

six_dolla_bill said:
WANT SOME CHEESE WITH THAT WHINE!! geez, your willing to squeeze,juice, or whatever you want to call it. but you can't even spend a little time to actually research your car to see where you can milk just a little HP from where ever you can. nevermind why even research it you'll probably just complain about the cost anyway. do you think you can get you car faster by publicly complaining about it and wishful thinking. go talk to some people around here that are actually putting time,money, and effort into there cars and are getting results. go get yourself a Lambo if you want to go fast. you'll probably just go and complain on thier forum too! anyone know when we're sending another rocket to space maybe JAPMAXSE can strap himself to it. i hear those are pretty fast. someone ban this guy he probably really owns a honda anyway.

Wow sorry I don't own a Honda but a very fast 13sec NA 4thgen Maxima, and a 96 Toyota Supra Turbo awaiting motor from Cali this Summer.

Being that I'm a Newbie to the Mazda stuff I may have came off the wrong foot. This is my daily go getter and all I'm saying is their isn't very much to work with here on the P5 as far as Performance goes. You either Spend a whole lotta money on Boost or go cheap with N2O and take the Risk. This is a first for me I'm going to stick with the N2O idea and see how that goes.

Thanks for the comments guys I'll be back with further info in the Nitrous thread later next month or so.

japmaxse said:
Let me clear up some misconceptions. I purchased the car through a financial program that I liked and they gave me a choice of cars and this was the best for the price. Second I never had in mind trying to make this car fast. I'm just surprised how slow it is that's all. I'm just looking to making it more enjoyable to drive on the weekend without spending tons of money, very simple. After researching a little this would be the best and cheapest route to go. CAI, Exhaust, and a little juice. But it seems that since the motor is so pathetic, I like the challenge of finding out what I can do without emptying my pockets. No hard feelings to the true enthusiast.

Nitrous Oxide is overrated. It is not a good idea on a daily driver. Your car is still slow, except for the few seconds that the nitrous is on. Nitrous also puts a different load on the engine than a turbo, making it more dangerous.

Nobody on this board is running 14s naturally aspirated.

Either look into a turbo or quit complaining about the slowness of the car.

japmax- turbo is the way to go if you wanna squeeze any power from this econobox we all know and love. other than that, this poor baby is slower than molasses that's goin' up a hill.

and don't mind the trolls... they're just here for our amusement. (thumb)

Hey japmaxse, do you live in Lake Charleston?

Your garage door looks exactly like my friend's. I grew up in PBG. Small world.

just for the record, there is nothing ford about this car except for the ECU and part of the seatbelt. the engine, trans and nitty gritty parts are all japanese and bear nothing from blue oval lunacy.

Captain KRM P5 said:
just for the record, there is nothing ford about this car except for the ECU and part of the seatbelt. the engine, trans and nitty gritty parts are all japanese and bear nothing from blue oval lunacy.
The rest is all 1980's mazda....(hah)

Replica said:
The rest is all 1980's mazda....(hah)

mostly 1990s actually. the oldest part i know of on the car dates back 91 and thats the shift lever. the engine and trans are hardly related to anything produced since 1997 and have undergone revisions and redesign that make backwards compatibility prior to those years often impossible or very difficult. at least its not GM where they have been using the same parts literally since the early seventies, such as thier "cam in block" engines. ford built pretty much the same mustang on the same chassis and powerplant from 1978 to 2004. that said, i'd take 80s or 90s mazda over 70s anything any day of the week.

cable43 said:
it's a NA 2.0 16v 4cyl ......... what, if any, stock us vehicle has ever been "fast" with thoes specs.

slow and fast are relative

just have fun and be safe!

my 2

Have a look at GM's DOHC 2.3L W41 Quad-4 engine rated at 190 BHP-160 lb/ft or even the HO version at 180 BHP with the same torque. Better yet, it was produced in the late 80's. Unfortunately, the cars in which the engine was implemented were nothing more than painted turds.

Last edited:
to add to your list of "I wanna go fast but not go F/I.."

add cams
add ported tb
add springs/coilovers (reduce roll away from the front wheels w/springs/coilovers)
add slicks

this thread reminds me of this...
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0208_scared/

you can do 14s with damn near anything if you don't want to toss your wad but are willing to go far enough... the motor wasn't built for the shock that N20 puts on the motor/trans. it would've been stupid for Mazda to go through the hassle of building a motor/trans that are designed for a 130hp econobox to handle almost a doubling of hp through nitrous. its a purpose built car. start racing in places with curves... you'll be fine (2thumbs)

n2o only saves money that should've been spent to build a motor up right to begin with which = BOOM. If the motor isn't built to handle it then start by making it capable to do so. Something in a spray can is no substitute for the real thing - it can only enhance something built to handle it. Expect a messy disappointment otherwise - it will come soon. On the other hand it is entertaining to see other people blow up cars this way so party on, go for the 100 shot!

He said it best his'self:

"This is my daily go getter and all I'm saying is their isn't very much to work with here on the P5 as far as Performance goes. You either Spend a whole lotta money on Boost or go cheap with N2O and take the Risk."

Describes me as well. I will stick with intake/header and UD pulley and be done with it. Maybe a MP3 ECU if i could find one...

P-Funk! said:
He said it best his'self:

"This is my daily go getter and all I'm saying is their isn't very much to work with here on the P5 as far as Performance goes. You either Spend a whole lotta money on Boost or go cheap with N2O and take the Risk."

Describes me as well. I will stick with intake/header and UD pulley and be done with it. Maybe a MP3 ECU if i could find one...

That's what I thought too by the way there were questions & answers to them in the same posting. Just thought I would elaborate a little on his answer to his own question. Build the supra for speed & save the p5 for fetching parts for the supra. Sell the maxima to feed the supra.........

japmaxse said:
So besides headers, Catback exhaust and a CAI. What else can someone do to get this car to run in the mid 14's without changing internals or boosting?

Absolutely nothing. Sell it and buy something else. This motor only sucks if you eff with it.

Erci said:
Absolutely nothing. Sell it and buy something else. This motor only sucks if you eff with it.

True. If you think it is slow and you DON'T want to boost it, sell it. It will never be fast.

An expensive full NA build-up with the 2.0 is a waste of money and time. It is truly lame. Flame away. (deadhorse

What is great about the P5 is that it makes AN INCREDIBLY KILLER PERFORMANCE CAR if you do drop some money into it. No kidding, it is a legit car to build. I am not building it just because it is the car that I have. I bought the P5 TO build up as a really cool daily driver (look for a big thread when my build with MAM starts soon).

A correctly boosted P5 (or MP3) is a joy to drive. They look great with the right drop and rims, handle great, and are just fun.

I would much rather have it than any Civic or Eclipse or (most) Mustangs, etc.

i12drivemyMP5 said:
That's what I thought too by the way there were questions & answers to them in the same posting. Just thought I would elaborate a little on his answer to his own question. Build the supra for speed & save the p5 for fetching parts for the supra. Sell the maxima to feed the supra.........

Hmm,.. once I get the trany back from chryno treatment for the max I'll prob forget about the P5 then when summer hits and I'm all in my Supra then I'll prob forget about both P5 and Maxima. I'm the kind of guy who needs speed 24/7. Yeah the P5 is my daily fetch a part car during the week then when weekend's comes around I'm always at the meets and everyone knows me for my Max and my supra. So I get challenged in my P5 all the time now that I'm not in those cars and it's hella annoying.

Today I just came from the shop and I took a look at the rods of another P5 I think it was an 02' or 01' not sure but the rod journals are not at all that bad, I mean by the thickness. Only the bottom is off for now but it's the same motor I have right (specs wise). So tomorrow I should take a really good look at the internals and maybe I might see something worth telling but prob not.

I looked in the NA forums but couldn't find the engine specs such as materials used in crankshaft, piston type, valve length etc. etc.. Can anyone point me out to this information. I would appreciate it very much.

Back