The Progression of my V.1 Street Sleeper Turbo build

My 1st Autocross of 2007 and the 1st on the built motor...

All went well. I'm running the engine at wastegate max psi for now (7.5) and the microtech is limiting revs to 5500. I've got about 3250 kms on the engine. Power feels real good, this thing spools up so quick! I was running on the Ecsta MX's and they're pretty green, looped the car twice.. :D
Probably could have used a little less rear sway bar too.
All in all a fun day. I can hardly wait to turn up the wick and put on the Hoosiers! :)

mspeedP5 said:
All went well. I'm running the engine at wastegate max psi for now (7.5) and the microtech is limiting revs to 5500. I've got about 3250 kms on the engine. Power feels real good, this thing spools up so quick! I was running on the Ecsta MX's and they're pretty green, looped the car twice.. :D
Probably could have used a little less rear sway bar too.
All in all a fun day. I can hardly wait to turn up the wick and put on the Hoosiers! :)

very nice!

Bad ass dude, I can't wait to autocross this year, yet alone in a turbo P5. When are you bumping up the revs (and boost)?

Oh, and they are is no such thing as too much rear sway bar ;)

khaosman said:
Oh, and they are is no such thing as too much rear sway bar ;)

Hahaha. I'm afraid there is sometimes. In certain conditions, it usually results in the rear getting ahead of the front... :D

Regarding the revs/boost, I want to get close to 10,000 km before going for some really serious power.

Last edited:
Ran my 2nd event yesterday with much better results. I set the rear bar to full soft and along with some creative tire pressure combinations I managed to keep the car pointed in the right direction despite the slick conditions.
For those who are interested, the results can be found here:

Event 1
http://www.victoriamotorsports.ca/Content/winterseries1_jan28_raw.txt
Event 2
http://www.victoriamotorsports.ca/Content/winterseries2_feb10_raw.txt
Fastest run video from yesterday here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN123h8zdVY

Nice. I'd love to see what that thing would do on a faster course with favorable conditions. Keep us updated!

Hey man, was jsut reading the thread form the beginning, and I have to ask. Each tim you put the new rebuilt turbo in, did you fil lthe center section with oil? Or jsut crank the engine to prime it?

I had the same problem as you. If you jsut crank the engine to prime it, it's not good enough. The turbo still spins dry, and ***** the bearings. That's why you get oil leaking by. You need to FIL Lthe turbo with oi land spin it around as per Garrett's instructions.

Maxx Mazda said:
Hey man, was jsut reading the thread form the beginning, and I have to ask. Each tim you put the new rebuilt turbo in, did you fil lthe center section with oil? Or jsut crank the engine to prime it?

I had the same problem as you. If you jsut crank the engine to prime it, it's not good enough. The turbo still spins dry, and ***** the bearings. That's why you get oil leaking by. You need to FIL Lthe turbo with oi land spin it around as per Garrett's instructions.

We only cranked it until we had about 35 psi. It's all good. The first cartridge failure was after more than 10,000 km. Can't hurt to fill it prior though.

Fatter Exhaust

I'm planning to switch to a 2.5" exhaust before I put in bigger injectors and dial up the boost. I want to know what is the best recommendation for a cat and muffler. I'm going to have the piping built for me with mandrel bends and flanged connections so I can change/remove easily. Magnaflow was suggested to me for the cat, but which model number...? Also, for a muffler I want something that is low-key, not a fart-can. Also, do I need a resonator...?
Suggestions?

mspeedP5 said:
I'm planning to switch to a 2.5" exhaust before I put in bigger injectors and dial up the boost. I want to know what is the best recommendation for a cat and muffler. I'm going to have the piping built for me with mandrel bends and flanged connections so I can change/remove easily. Magnaflow was suggested to me for the cat, but which model number...? Also, for a muffler I want something that is low-key, not a fart-can. Also, do I need a resonator...?
Suggestions?

Ever check out a racing beat muffler? there pretty quiet and as you know my car is turbo'ed not loud at all doesnt sound like a fart can either

Dude look no further than the Corksport exhaust. It's a header back 2.5", removes both cats and sounds great. Full polished stainless steel for like $450 or something like that. I just got mine and I love it!

I want to keep the cat and it looks like the corksport isn't 2.5", it's 2.4"
I'm not interested in paying for polished stainless that I can't see and weighs too much any way. Aluminized piping with mandrel bends will work for me.
Now back to the original question about cats, mufflers and resonators...

I like the sound of the racing beat muffler on an NA car, haven't heard it on a turbo though...

mspeedP5 said:
I want to keep the cat and it looks like the corksport isn't 2.5", it's 2.4"
I'm not interested in paying for polished stainless that I can't see and weighs too much any way. Aluminized piping with mandrel bends will work for me.
Now back to the original question about cats, mufflers and resonators...

I like the sound of the racing beat muffler on an NA car, haven't heard it on a turbo though...

Paing for stainless? The CS exhaust is only like $420 man, that's a hell of a deal for what you get.

Maxx Mazda said:
Paing for stainless? The CS exhaust is only like $420 man, that's a hell of a deal for what you get.

Hehehe okay, you got me to take a second look... :D

Sound bites anyone...?

Back