2021 CX-5 Front end thump...Any ideas?

Towser

2021 CX-5 GT Premium
Hello,
Love my 2021 CX-5, non turbo. However, there is a quiet thump that happens only once very time I start the car, drive and with in 5-10 mph, I hear a thump. It’s quite low in volume, but it is there, every time I start the car, put it in drive, and between 5-10 mph, the thump is heard. I can sometimes feel a very slight vibration on the gas pedal and the shift lever when I hear the thump.

Any ideas what this could be or where to start looking? Thanks for any help.

Hello,
Love my 2021 CX-5, non turbo. However, there is a quiet thump that happens only once very time I start the car, drive and with in 5-10 mph, I hear a thump. It’s quite low in volume, but it is there, every time I start the car, put it in drive, and between 5-10 mph, the thump is heard. I can sometimes feel a very slight vibration on the gas pedal and the shift lever when I hear the thump.

Any ideas what this could be or where to start looking? Thanks for any help.
If you still have new car warranty, take the car to the Mazda dealer for a check since you can produce the symptom consistently. At least you have a record in Mazda’s file if anything happens later.

Well, I took the care to the dealership I bought it from. Still under warranty. They said front brake shims are causing the thump. They added some grease to calipers. Said the thump is gone. As soon as I pulled away from the lot, I heard the thump. At least it is documented with the dealership. Mechanic said brakes are still fine. No need to replace them yet.

Well, I took the care to the dealership I bought it from. Still under warranty. They said front brake shims are causing the thump. They added some grease to calipers. Said the thump is gone. As soon as I pulled away from the lot, I heard the thump. At least it is documented with the dealership. Mechanic said brakes are still fine. No need to replace them yet.
Thanks for the update. I believe you should at least call the dealer to let them know the problem didn’t get fixed. Another visit to the dealer is better if you have time to do it.

abs clunks once doing initial check on every start/run. Thats normal.

The other noise is the bushings as mentioned. Once - while they shift/settle then its gone for the day :) its harmless but annoying. I got it on my 2022 since it was brand new.

The brake issue is squeek noise :) thats separate thing.

Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it. Will look into the front bushings. It’s just an annoyance. If no damage is caused, I can live with it.

There isnt much to do with the bushings. If its that one.
Mazda recommenda a grease. What happens is they are probably too tight and when the car front bar shifts the first thing after sitting for a while is that it just adjusts itself. Its more of an annoyance. No harm.

Back