Now with the CX-70 "revealed", what is everyone buying?

The CX-80 should be the equivalent of the CX-8. Which was a shorter CX-9 and was available in other markets. I really don’t expect to have it come to North-America, just like we never had the CX-8. It will likely be the rest of the world version of the CX-90.

The CX-80 should be the equivalent of the CX-8. Which was a shorter CX-9 and was available in other markets. I really don’t expect to have it come to North-America, just like we never had the CX-8. It will likely be the rest of the world version of the CX-90.
Not where I was going with my comment about the CX-80. I was hinting at how it is shaping up to be a more differentiated model compared to what we got with the CX-70. I agree we won't get a CX-80 variant. I mainly just hope it's an evolution of Mazda's design language that I like.

Did more digging into the X5 and decided it is too big for what I need/want. The X3 definitely lacks the refinement that may be coming in the 2025 model - the current version strikes me as the 'economy car' version of the BMW SUV range. The minimalist interior of the Volvo appeals to me more than the BMW interior. The XC60 definitely drives nicer than the X3.

Reserved an XC60 Recharge Ultimate today for delivery in 2 weeks.

View attachment 327267

It looks like BMW has gone even further with "Economy Car" for the new X3. We will need to wait for more detailed reviews but this looks like a further step back from the current X3 from an premium interior perspective.

Longer, wider, lower, and more slippery (with a coefficient of drag of 0.27), the new SUV is also roomier than its predecessor. Developed during the COVID-19 pandemic when the world almost ground to a complete halt, the X3 was significantly decontented in a rush move to curb costs. Accordingly, the interior of the lesser models looks drab and somber in its materials and generic displays, with a pair of quirky touch sliders popping up in the door panels. On the credit side, we must thank the designers for keeping the intuitive iDrive controller, which went missing in the latest X1 and X2.

It looks like BMW has gone even further with "Economy Car" for the new X3. We will need to wait for more detailed reviews but this looks like a further step back from the current X3 from an premium interior perspective.

I've been saying all along: if you're even halfway interested in the X3, the current gen is the one to get since you still have your buttons!

I'm quite satisfied w/my '23 X3 and have no interest in something that will be bigger than an X5 from 1-2 generations ago!

Why is the X3 being mentioned in a thread where folks were considering the CX70?

Why is the X3 being mentioned in a thread where folks were considering the CX70?

I would guess that many were hoping for the 70 as a Goldilocks' "just right" option as there weren't many options that fit those shopper's needs, back when they expected a shorter, lighter 90 at an attractive price. Now, they're forced to look elsewhere and make some concessions or spend the money they had hoped to save.

Because it is about the same price as the CX-70. It is a lot smaller, but a lot of us were hoping the CX-70 would be smaller than it is. For me, the CX-70 is too big for my need, I already have a CX-9, so if the CX-70 would have been smaller it could have replaced our second car, but now it doesn’t. The X5 would be a better size, but i just don’t want to spend that much for a second car.

I would guess that many were hoping for the 70 as a Goldilocks' "just right" option as there weren't many options that fit those shopper's needs, back when they expected a shorter, lighter 90 at an attractive price. Now, they're forced to look elsewhere and make some concessions or spend the money they had hoped to save.
Because it is about the same price as the CX-70. It is a lot smaller, but a lot of us were hoping the CX-70 would be smaller than it is. For me, the CX-70 is too big for my need, I already have a CX-9, so if the CX-70 would have been smaller it could have replaced our second car, but now it doesn’t. The X5 would be a better size, but i just don’t want to spend that much for a second car.
I didn't realize there was such a "similarity" in pricing! I just checked and my well-equipped '23 X3 xDrive30i still has a higher MSRP than a CX70 3.3 Turbo S Premium (and that's comparing 2022 dollars vs 2024 dollars)!

If you consider a Chevy Blazer a mid-size reference car, the X3 is 6" shorter but only gives up less than 2 ft3 of cargo space. The X3 makes a fine 2nd or 3rd car but probably too small to be the family car unless your kids are really young!

It's been brought up a few times as an alternative to what I (and potentially some others) expected to be the rough length of the CX70 when the rumor was it'd be a similar size to the CX60, only wider. The X3, XC60 and CX60 are all within an inch or two of one another on major dimensions. For me, that's the right size and they blew it. I went back and drove the CX5 and sat in the CX50 and eliminated them for subjective reasons. I fit just fine in the back seat of the Volvo and the CX5 but not the CX50 (lower roofline). The CX5 is dated and lacks power, IMO.

The thread topic is "What is everyone buying?" - at least two of us have gone significantly up in price/level for one reason or another. I went up by nearly $20k to get the size and features I was seeking vs. a larger Mazda CX70 that I did not want. I happened into a great timing situation as I received $13k in incentives and discounts on my Volvo as a result. I'm getting the right size in a ridiculously powerful package.

I think Mazda screwed up by not bringing the CX60 over -it fits their push upmarket and is the right size against the competition. Candidly, I think they're taking the cautious route to replacing the CX5 and hanging on to it as long as they can sell it. A hard swap out with the CX50 or CX60 would have been a bad idea. The CX5 is a great vehicle for the market but, at some point, won't align with their push upmarket. They pride themselves on being different, but in some cases, it's in the least logical way possible.

The CX5 is dated and lacks power, IMO.
Meanwhile, I started driving my Turbo CX-5 again after several weeks in another (European) SUV. Wow I appreciate how much better it handles and how much pep it has. And 320 (soon to be 370) to the wheels isn't what I call lacking in a 3800 pound vehicle. And while looks are subjective, I feel it's one of the best-looking SUVs on the road. It has a smooth, muscular design unlike the angular/boxy messes on wheels from brands like Toyota and BMW.

Meanwhile, I started driving my Turbo CX-5 again after several weeks in another (European) SUV. Wow I appreciate how much better it handles and how much pep it has. And 320 (soon to be 370) to the wheels isn't what I call lacking in a 3800 pound vehicle. And while looks are subjective, I feel it's one of the best-looking SUVs on the road. It has a smooth, muscular design unlike the angular/boxy messes on wheels from brands like Toyota and BMW.
It's been brought up a few times as an alternative to what I (and potentially some others) expected to be the rough length of the CX70 when the rumor was it'd be a similar size to the CX60, only wider. The X3, XC60 and CX60 are all within an inch or two of one another on major dimensions. For me, that's the right size and they blew it. I went back and drove the CX5 and sat in the CX50 and eliminated them for subjective reasons. I fit just fine in the back seat of the Volvo and the CX5 but not the CX50 (lower roofline). The CX5 is dated and lacks power, IMO.

The thread topic is "What is everyone buying?" - at least two of us have gone significantly up in price/level for one reason or another. I went up by nearly $20k to get the size and features I was seeking vs. a larger Mazda CX70 that I did not want. I happened into a great timing situation as I received $13k in incentives and discounts on my Volvo as a result. I'm getting the right size in a ridiculously powerful package.

I think Mazda screwed up by not bringing the CX60 over -it fits their push upmarket and is the right size against the competition. Candidly, I think they're taking the cautious route to replacing the CX5 and hanging on to it as long as they can sell it. A hard swap out with the CX50 or CX60 would have been a bad idea. The CX5 is a great vehicle for the market but, at some point, won't align with their push upmarket. They pride themselves on being different, but in some cases, it's in the least logical way possible.
Plenty of CX5s on the road near me. Mazda would be insane to get rid of that model! I feel the CX50 is catering to Millennials and Gen Z (kinda how Toyota had Scion back in the day). Anyone know the % of sales for CX50 vs CX5?

The March sales numbers show 13,789 CX-5's to 4,654 CX-50's. Interestingly, the CX-5 sales are down 17% YOY, while the CX-50 sales are up 16.1%. Currently the CX-50 is selling better than the CX-90, but the CX-30 is selling better than both of them combined.

Given the state of the world, I might risk a car fire or a transmission/engine replacement and give that new boxy Hyundai Santa Fe a try.

And while looks are subjective, I feel it's one of the best-looking SUVs on the road. It has a smooth, muscular design unlike the angular/boxy messes on wheels from brands like Toyota and BMW.
That's another reason I'm not excited about the current X3.
Being a design-conscious person I humbly hoped that the '25 X3 would follow the 7 series pattern, which is actually the coolest thing and brings back the time when BMW was not the follower but the leader.
Unfortunately from what I can tell by camouflaged pics they chose to produce a Toyota again. But we will see.

That's another reason I'm not excited about the current X3.
Being a design-conscious person I humbly hoped that the '25 X3 would follow the 7 series pattern, which is actually the coolest thing and brings back the time when BMW was not the follower but the leader.
Unfortunately from what I can tell by camouflaged pics they chose to produce a Toyota again. But we will see.
I'm perhaps being too harsh on BMW, but I really dislike the pig-nose design.

I'm perhaps being too harsh on BMW, but I really dislike the pig-nose design.
If you are referring to this as pig-nose I totally agree, it's bad:
1713411784135.png

but this one is really good, fresh and innovative, would love to see 5 and 3 follow. Just IMHO.
1713411839392.png

Look and design is subjective, and everyone have different taste. But me too, i don’t like that new 7 series look.

The split headlight in the front reminds me too much of 2019 Cherokee and 2019 Kona. And I didn’t like the split headlight trend then.

And at night then you see both set of headlights turned on, and it just kind of break the design.

Now don’t get me wrong the BMW 7 design is way better than those two, but it still reminds me of that trend too much.

1713435833100.jpeg

2bdb0989-b4f0-4f09-9da1-a502fcfaa4fb.jpg

Last edited:
I was seriously considering waiting for the CX-70 PHEV, but then went with the CX-90 PHEV after checking it out at the dealer. Everyone already knows that the difference between the 70 and 90 just comes down to the 5 vs 7/8 seats (i.e. the 3rd bench in CX-90). In the CX-90, the 3rd bench when folded down are really flat out at 180 degree, resulted in the same surface level as the rest of the trunk and gives quite a good amount of cargo similar to the CX-70. For me, having a 3rd bench option when needed is still a big plus. One thing I can't understand is why the EV miles of the lighter CX-70 PHEV without the 3rd bench is the same as the CX-90 PHEV at 26 miles (I think this is a conservative number, I have had it easily reached 30 miles when driving in the city which I use almost daily.)

The Toyota RAV4 Prime was my 1st intention due to its decent 42 EV miles, but The CX-90 is in a different class of its own, so no comparison here. Just FYI, OTD cost of the two with *same* trim (RAV4 Prime SE vs CX-90 PHEV Preferred) are virtually the same. The RAV4 PRIME ain't cheap.

Last edited:
All of us who wanted the CX70 to be around 195-196", just look at the CX80, it has this length. However, because of the narrow body, the car looks even more off, the proportions combined with the design is just wrong.

Back