Now with the CX-70 "revealed", what is everyone buying?

Interesting.

Here in Canada, the MDX S is 88k, the x5 89k. Now, i didn't look into what might be missing in that starting price for the BMW, and I know ticking BMW boxes can be painful, but it does seems a bit much of an ask from Acura. I've read great things about the Type S, but still.

The Type S is the top of the line so I'd think the 88k should be realistically the price paid or close. But then the CX90 here is 63k, so if I'm looking at these 2...25k even when interest rates were low was a crap ton, nevermind at the rates they want now.

88k also gets one in the range of the mid level Tahoes. Cross shopping that might not be super common, but who knows. Maybe someone has 3 big kids + dog and is MDX dreaming but knows the space would be limiting. I think they are different vehicles with different benefits, but the tahoe is quite a tank and has a certain luxury in my opinion from it's mass and 8 cyl. I could see me being happy in an MDX, X5 or Tahoe to be honest. But my budget more goes to CX90 and hard to fault it with 25k extra in the bank.
I was surprised at how close they were in price...the sales guy at Acura was trying to talk it up vs. the X5 (knew nothing about the CX90) but it started sounding a bit desperate.

I can't consider a Tahoe - one of many requirements for the replacement to my Explorer ST is that it has to fit in the garage.

Has anyone else thought about how the ad campaigns for the CX-70 might look compared to the CX-90?

Every time I see a CX-90 ad, I hope Mazda does something more exciting for the CX-70.

The point about the MDX being a better package is debatable, IMO.

The Acura may put the power down better but it does so at serious cost and efficiency degradation - also not keen on the air suspension. It handles slightly better but the engine is almost as noisy (comparing it to my Explorer ST).

As 'not a basketball player', I couldn't comfortably get into the back seat of the Acura because of the lower roof line. That is a deal breaker for me - I will quickly forget the performance every time I crack my melon on the roof getting into the back seat to retrieve something.
The CX-90 wins on the efficiency for sure.
Pretty sure the air suspension is only on the type S.

Just to confirm, for the backseat space. Have you compared it with the CX-90 and the roofline was lower, or is it just too low to fit for your need ? Just trying to see if this is a con compared to the Mazda or just a con in general.

The CX-90 wins on the efficiency for sure.
Pretty sure the air suspension is only on the type S.

Just to confirm, for the backseat space. Have you compared it with the CX-90 and the roofline was lower, or is it just too low to fit for your need ? Just trying to see if this is a con compared to the Mazda or just a con in general.
The rear seat entry is definitely tighter in the Acura. I had no issue getting into the back seat of the CX90 and it wasn't just because the doors open wider. I didn't try to get into the 3rd row because I won't use it. I've had my Explorer ST for enough time to know that it's superfluous (which is why I waited for the CX70).

I'm only considering the MDX Type S as the lower versions don't fit my 'wants and needs'. I compared it to a CX90 Turbo S Premium.

An update on my end. With the CX70 fiasco I decided that I will buy a CX90 Signature and will place a factory order. Went and discussed pricing with some of the dealers in my area (non of them willing to budge on MSRP, only in accessories). As I was about to narrow down my choice and place an order was told by multiple dealers that CX90 is getting delayed and deliveries are being pushed 6 months or more.

At that point I was like, no thanks. First year model, known issues, fiasco with CX70 size, I might just well skip the hassle. Short story, decided to lease an 18 months old BMW X5 40i with about 15,000 km on board and another 2yr warranty and maintenance included, for basically $100/month cheaper than what a CX90 lease would have cost me. Can't beat the engine/transmission combo and ride quality in X5.

Will keep my Mazda 6 but I will revisit their offerings in 3-4yrs, hopefully will have something else to choose other than a boat and also they iron out their issues with the new platform.

@dwswager Which bimmer forum I am going to find you ? 😅

An update on my end. With the CX70 fiasco I decided that I will buy a CX90 Signature and will place a factory order. Went and discussed pricing with some of the dealers in my area (non of them willing to budge on MSRP, only in accessories). As I was about to narrow down my choice and place an order was told by multiple dealers that CX90 is getting delayed and deliveries are being pushed 6 months or more.

At that point I was like, no thanks. First year model, known issues, fiasco with CX70 size, I might just well skip the hassle. Short story, decided to lease an 18 months old BMW X5 40i with about 15,000 km on board and another 2yr warranty and maintenance included, for basically $100/month cheaper than what a CX90 lease would have cost me. Can't beat the engine/transmission combo and ride quality in X5.

Will keep my Mazda 6 but I will revisit their offerings in 3-4yrs, hopefully will have something else to choose other than a boat and also they iron out their issues with the new platform.

Can't believe there are still Mazda dealers still asking for MSRP! I'm guessing the 6 month pushback is due to supply chain issues and getting chips! Doesn't bode well for the CX70 either in its debut year!

Nice find ! Leasing a used car…. I never even considered this as an option. Nothing bad with 2 year old cars, most of my rides have been 2 year olds used car. A lot of time there is even less issue with them because all the early issues come up in the first year of ownership.

They may be delaying any additional builds to get through the vehicles sitting on dealer lots. I've been watching a few at a local dealer - they've all been there for 60+ days - and if you know how vehicle sales work, that's a lot of money tied up in flooring expense unless Mazda is covering it.

The 2022-23 X5 is better looking, IMO, so a used low-mile vehicle would be a nice find!

I went back to the drawing board and added a vehicle to my list: 2024 Volvo XC60 Recharge. It's shorter than the CX70/90 (closer to the X5), has a great interior and the powerband is solid. Priced under the MDX S Type and BMW X5 with nice features. It's hard to beat Volvo's seats as well.

I really like the Volvo's, but reliability has been holding me back on getting one. I have heard from various source they spend a lot of time at the garage.

For all those considering a new X5, I am curious to know why the Porsche Macan's are not making it on your list. Is it only because of the size or is there other reasons ?

Fortunately, I'm still in a Volvo forum from the days of owning a V60R Design so I'm doing a lot of reading. I like the design a lot.

Why not the Macan? For me, it's the same reason you're avoiding Volvo - reliability.

I really like the Volvo's, but reliability has been holding me back on getting one. I have heard from various source they spend a lot of time at the garage.

A few years ago I had posted about a close friend getting a used 2018 XC90. His car has spent plenty of time in the shop, mostly for air-suspension related issues.

@dwswager, @Muggs1, @EWL5 and everyone else who's decided (or is planning to decide) on a CX-70 alternative - I hope you guys stick around on the boards, if only to check in every once in a while and update on your ownership experiences! (y)
I appreciate you guys being so open and understanding! I know of at least one car forum who can't wait to kick you out of the threads once you've moved on to other brands!

A few years ago I had posted about a close friend getting a used 2018 XC90. His car has spent plenty of time in the shop, mostly for air-suspension related issues.
Air suspension, in general, is a problem waiting for the worst possible time to reveal itself. Run flat tires are another thing I avoid.

Air suspension, in general, is a problem waiting for the worst possible time to reveal itself. Run flat tires are another thing I avoid.
Air suspension was unavailbe on 2024 due to parts availability issues. Only reason I considered is my wife is 5'1" and with 8.7" ground clearance she has to "hop" down out of it. With the air suspension you can set it up to lower all the way when you park to make ingress and egress easier. A friend with said he changed out the airbags himself and not that big of a deal.

And I ordered a spare and plan to ditch the OEM runflats when they wear out. Will go to a Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 or Continental Extreme Contact DWS.

@dwswager, @Muggs1, @EWL5 and everyone else who's decided (or is planning to decide) on a CX-70 alternative - I hope you guys stick around on the boards, if only to check in every once in a while and update on your ownership experiences! (y)
If I remember I will post my experience good or bad. I told the BMW dealer there was another one next year depending on how our experience went. The only reason my wife test drove the X5 was because my plan was to buy either an M3 or M340i and I was getting her used to the idea of a BMW. I seriously expected she would be getting a CX-70. Never in my wildest dreams given the existence of the CX-60 and CX-90 would I have expected them to drop a land yacht for a 2-row. Otherwise, I would have forced her into a new vehicle at least a year ago.

Air suspension was unavailbe on 2024 due to parts availability issues. Only reason I considered is my wife is 5'1" and with 8.7" ground clearance she has to "hop" down out of it. With the air suspension you can set it up to lower all the way when you park to make ingress and egress easier. A friend with said he changed out the airbags himself and not that big of a deal.

And I ordered a spare and plan to ditch the OEM runflats when they wear out. Will go to a Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 or Continental Extreme Contact DWS.
If you haven't used the Michelin PS AS 4, they're great tires. I use them for 3 seasons and Nokians for Winters.

Why not the Macan? For me, it's the same reason you're avoiding Volvo - reliability.
Macan is the X3 size at 186" and to get the V6 it starts at $66K. It's a great driving vehicle...everything about the driving dynamics is better than the X3 except the motor. For $66K you are into a X3 M40i with a 382HP B58 inline 6. The BMW also has more functionality. More of a luxury kit while the Macan is more of a driving vehicle. But even a BMW SUV is a stretch. I have a friend with a Porche Cayenne that pulls his Porsche 911 turbo to the track with it. I told him it is a good thing because someone with a Porsche SUV better have a REAL Porsche.

Considering the massive early depreciation on a BMW X5 leases for a used one should be pretty decent even with the overall vehicle price increases and interest rates. And the 40i is enough...400HP is enough even at 5,000lbs.

I'm kinda on Bimmerpost's X5 forum and a BMW X5 Facebook group.

I'll be doing RX350 shopping soon, have been looking at the 350 (turbo) and 350h (mild hybrid, NA).

It sounds like people are really enjoying the 350h, 0-60 numbers are basically the same tagged the 350 (neither of them close to the BMWs for performance), h is supposed to be slightly quieter (Lexus is known for a quiet cabin), price for the h and non-h is essentially the same at a given trim level, and I'm comfortable that everything on it will just plain work.

The downside, keeping me in the main 350 Turbo zone, is the actual HP/torque ratings of the 350h. Since I'm mainly rural/highway driving, very little stop and go, acceleration up in the 45 - 75 mph range is important. 0 - 60 numbers between the two may be close, but on extended driving at higher speeds the smaller NA engine in the 350h just doesn't have the oomph.

Based on hanging out here, when it comes to replacing tires I'll likely look seriously at the Nokian Remedy WR G5. They only go up to 20", but I'll definitely be going for 19" wheels, and are both winter (all weather) and speed rated.

(I've never been into multiple sets of tires, have lived in MA and NY all my life - potholes and snow, like a set of good tires that I can run all year.)

Last edited:
Back