2016.5 CX-5 FWD: 60K mile service, all of these needed?

:
2016.5 Touring FWD
Took my car in for oil change and 60K service to the local dealership. Car is out of warranty. They suggested all of these attached (cheapest package at $691). Ended up only doing Oil change, inspection, lubricate body latch, locks, hinges, Torque body fasteners and install windshield washer fluid. I'm not somebody who can work on cars (time, space, tools skill, knowledge) but changed both air filters as well as replaced wiper blade inserts on my own with parts I bought on Amzn. Tire rotation was not needed. So ended up paying for the oil change.

Should I have paid for these other items like brake fluid exchange, fuel induction cleaning service or am I okay for now?

They did say Belt tensioner is leaking as well as Timing cover need resealing. Quoted $2929.00 If tensioner work only it is $627.00

I like to keep the vehicle for another 5 years (70K more miles or so ) so would appreciate suggestions on what I should get done proactively or routinely every year. Hoping to keep it at $500-700 range per year including 2 oil changes.

Wondering if it would be cost efficient to find a non-dealer repair shop. This is in the San Jose bay area. Thanks.

Attachments

• 03042460K service declined.png
    03042460K service declined.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 247
This is why they're know as STEALerships lol. $99.95 to replace cabin air filter 😂. A $15 part that takes 43 seconds of labor with no tools or skill. Pfffffffft.

I'm laughing at the STEALerships, not you. You're smart to reach out to a forum for council on a topic you aren't knowledgeable and ask. (I'd be doing the same thing on a computer forum if my computer box needed attention haha )

You can certainly have maintenance work done at an independent shop. Of the items on that list, brake fluid flush could be beneficial. The rest of that is garbage fluff profit generator items for the STEALerships and a sure indicator that they are NOT to be trusted with your car.

Replace spark plugs @ 75,000 miles (very easy for you to do yourself)

Replace coolant at 10 years or 120,000 miles. Have your tensioner and belts replaced at the same time

Mazda's (IMHO) are very easy to work on / maintain. You may surprise yourself on what you can accomplish with shop manuals online and YouTube videos about everything.

👆 what he said.

Personally, the only thing I might have done at a dealer is the brake fluid, mainly so all the fluid can be exchanged (including cycling the ABS pump).

WOW! What the actual f?!?! Your car is out of warranty STOP GOING TO THE DEALER. These cars are NOT complicated. A corner garage can change your brake fluid. That's the only thing on that list you need that you didn't get done. $50 for rotate tires! Un-effing-believable.
Pretty sure plugs are at 70K, not 75K.

Took my car in for oil change and 60K service to the local dealership. Car is out of warranty. They suggested all of these attached (cheapest package at $691). Ended up only doing Oil change, inspection, lubricate body latch, locks, hinges, Torque body fasteners and install windshield washer fluid. I'm not somebody who can work on cars (time, space, tools skill, knowledge) but changed both air filters as well as replaced wiper blade inserts on my own with parts I bought on Amzn. Tire rotation was not needed. So ended up paying for the oil change.

Should I have paid for these other items like brake fluid exchange, fuel induction cleaning service or am I okay for now?

They did say Belt tensioner is leaking as well as Timing cover need resealing. Quoted $2929.00 If tensioner work only it is $627.00

I like to keep the vehicle for another 5 years (70K more miles or so ) so would appreciate suggestions on what I should get done proactively or routinely every year. Hoping to keep it at $500-700 range per year including 2 oil changes.

Wondering if it would be cost efficient to find a non-dealer repair shop. This is in the San Jose bay area. Thanks.

WTF?

That list is ridiculous!!!

03042460k-service-declined-png.326510

What's the difference between E-shield fuel system treatment, Premium engine treatment, Fuel induction cleaning service, and Enhance fuel system cleaner?

I'll tell you what the difference is, none. No difference as they're all aimed at removing as much money from your wallet as possible while doing little to nothing for your car.

You should give this dealership the ole heave ho and never go back there. Tell them why before you go!!!

Perform A/C odor treatment service? Does your AC stink? Or is that just more of the same of the "money removal from your wallet" service?

...They did say Belt tensioner is leaking as well as Timing cover need resealing. Quoted $2929.00 If tensioner work only it is $627.00 ...
Oh yeah, I forgot to address this one.

For both of those, I would clean the entire area with engine cleaner/degreaser and then keep a close eye on how bad these actually are. The timing chain cover could be worse after a repair. If it's not leaking enough to leave spots on your driveway, I wouldn't worry too much about it and just clean it off occasionally .

Prices are ridiculously high because everything is based on a labor rate of about $250/hour. It's that high because dealerships have a ridiculous amount of overhead in today's over inflated economy. Find yourself a reputable independent garage. No need to go back there for maintenance.
Service advisors are sales people, so yeah, they will load up on the "services" they think you need.

Last edited:
WTF?

That list is ridiculous!!!

03042460k-service-declined-png.326510

What's the difference between E-shield fuel system treatment, Premium engine treatment, Fuel induction cleaning service, and Enhance fuel system cleaner?

I'll tell you what the difference is, none. No difference as they're all aimed at removing as much money from your wallet as possible while doing little to nothing for your car.

You should give this dealership the ole heave ho and never go back there. Tell them why before you go!!!

Perform A/C odor treatment service? Does your AC stink? Or is that just more of the same of the "money removal from your wallet" service?

I'm surprised that the list didn't include a flush and fill of the transmission.

$71 to replace the front wiper blades? Not even including the rear, WOW!!!!!!!

Would the OP care to share the name of this dealership?

And what about a kiss after such a fine screwing? Was that included?

Prices are ridiculously high because everything is based on a labor rate of about $250/hour. It's that high because dealerships have a ridiculous amount of overhead in today's over inflated economy. Find yourself a reputable independent garage.

Twenty years ago, I recall thinking how high I considered Volkswagen's dealership shop rate, which was $108 at the time if I remember correctly. Ah, those were the days. Nowadays, that sort of rate's almost unheard of.

Ditto, on the suggestion to find one or two good independent shops who are capable of doing most things. No reason to be paying dealership prices for most stuff on the OP's original list. No reason to be even doing many of those things.

I'm surprised that the list didn't include a flush and fill of the transmission.

$71 to replace the front wiper blades? Not even including the rear, WOW!!!!!!!

Would the OP care to share the name of this dealership?

And what about a kiss after such a fine screwing? Was that included?
Fremont Mazda. DGDG, when I called them said 60K service is $1198 or so. So think they all mostly have these packages they like to sell starting at the $700 mark going up to $1300.

Never, EVER tell a dealer, "I want the XX mile service" or that is what will happen. They all bundle up services like that hoping that someone will just say ok.

This is what the owner's manual manual says is due at 60k miles:

Oil Change
Tire Rotation
Change cabin air filter
Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis and body (no one ever does this even if it's requested)
Multi-point inspection (most Mazda dealers already include this for free)

All of that should be under $150

When you go into d/st-ealership for service, you need to be armed with information.
Otherwise, you become their prey.

I do go to dealership for services.
I always go in knowing what I want done to my vehicles and have coupons w/ me.

Read your manual and do only what it says at 60k. That is enough. Mazda doesn't have a change interval for brake fluid, but I think its a good idea. I did it at 10 years on my MX-5.

See this, also:

Back