Now with the CX-70 "revealed", what is everyone buying?

Congrats on the X5. Great car! Unfortunately it is out of my budget range.

Shopping around for a replacement car for our mazda 3. Looking into SUVs, don’t want anything generic like a RAV 4 or CR-V. My CX-9 has been fitting that bill for the last 5 years, but i am keeping it so do not need another 3 row.

Like everyone else, the CX-70 is out of my shopping list now because of its size. Still early days on my shopping, but at the moment it seems like a toss up between

2 year old:
-Acura RDX
-Genesis GV-70
-BMW X3 (maybe the PHEV 30e, or not)
-Audi Q5

New
- CX-5
- CX-50
- VW Atlas Cross sport

These are all about the same price here in Canada around the $40-49k canadian (well maybe except the VW Cross sport). All AWD. Disclaimer, i have not had the chance to test drive any of them yet.

I am also not quite sure I want to jump into the luxury brand maintenance and ownership costs, looking to keep the car 10 years. so that is why the list straddles luxury and mainstream brand. The genesis and VW both are bottom of the list on the last Consumer report, so I have to consider that as well.

I know these are not midsize SUV except the VW cross sport, but the list of 2 row midsize SUV is pretty short. Midsizes not making the cut:

-Ford Edge
-Jeep Grand-Cherokee
-Hyundai Santa fe
-Kia Sorento
-Honda Passport
-Chevrolet Blazer
-Nissan Murano

If the CX-70 would have been a smaller/ slightly cheaper CX-90, that it would have been my choice. I apparently don’t like any of the other mid-sizes choices, and I am now cross shopping all over the place. A midsize would have been nice, but I can settle for a compact SUV.
If you are looking at the Atlas Crossport, that thing is huge and is "only" 5 inches shorter than the CX70/90. You will be way better in getting the 70/90 as the turning radius is miles better and driving characteristics does not show that is actually a very long SUV vs the cross sport which feels very boaty on long drives and has worse hp/torque and fuel efficiency compared with Mazda.
I was in the same boat as you and at the end of the day, there is nothing out there that can actually compete with Mazda "value" proposition; hence I am ordering a CX90.
anyone seen the new x1 (or x2)? i saw an x1 m35 (not sure if i got that right) and it looked insane. bigger than expected and beautiful shape and silver/grey color.

View attachment 326372

As everybody else mentioned, you don't want a FWD platform, it has nothing to do with the X3.

If you are looking at the Atlas Crossport, that thing is huge and is "only" 5 inches shorter than the CX70/90. You will be way better in getting the 70/90 as the turning radius is miles better and driving characteristics does not show that is actually a very long SUV vs the cross sport which feels very boaty on long drives and has worse hp/torque and fuel efficiency compared with Mazda.
I was in the same boat as you and at the end of the day, there is nothing out there that can actually compete with Mazda "value" proposition; hence I am ordering a CX90.

As everybody else mentioned, you don't want a FWD platform, it has nothing to do with the X3.
I wouldn't outright discount 5". It could be the difference b/w driving into the city vs taking the train!
These are just very "real world" reasons why some folks are disappointed the CX70 isn't smaller!

On the plus side, my X3 is still considered a crossover so I don't pay the "oversized" fee when parking in a garage!

I wanted to remove any misunderstanding that BMW only has a touchscreen interface. In the pic of the X5 interior, you can clearly see the rotary dial is still there and is my preferred method of interaction w/my X3 as it's safer! The best interface is the one that gives you a choice!

Mazda is the same, no?

2024-bmw-x5-115-1675791498.jpg
Like Mazda CX-70/90 BMW does indeed have a rotating controller that depresses and also that can push in various directions. Plus for some things they provide hand gesture control. Plus there is voice control. And of course, a passenger seat occupant can use the touch screen.

True story. in 2010, My friend with a older X5 is pulling a camper to the Indy Car Races at Mid-Ohio. He offered me $200 if I could teach his wife how to use the infotainment system. Morons at BMW had mounted the commander dial on the front of a console such that the top of the dial faced the screen, but left the rotation orientation of the dial results the same as if it was mounted facing you. Hence, every time you rotated the dial it caused the opposite effect of what you expected. After 5, minutes playing with it I looked at him and said: "not worth the money!" SMH Major human factors fail!

Congrats on the X5. Great car! Unfortunately it is out of my budget range.

Shopping around for a replacement car for our mazda 3. Looking into SUVs, don’t want anything generic like a RAV 4 or CR-V. My CX-9 has been fitting that bill for the last 5 years, but i am keeping it so do not need another 3 row.

Like everyone else, the CX-70 is out of my shopping list now because of its size. Still early days on my shopping, but at the moment it seems like a toss up between

2 year old:
-Acura RDX
-Genesis GV-70
-BMW X3 (maybe the PHEV 30e, or not)
-Audi Q5

New
- CX-5
- CX-50
- VW Atlas Cross sport

These are all about the same price here in Canada around the $40-49k canadian (well maybe except the VW Cross sport). All AWD. Disclaimer, i have not had the chance to test drive any of them yet.

I am also not quite sure I want to jump into the luxury brand maintenance and ownership costs, looking to keep the car 10 years. so that is why the list straddles luxury and mainstream brand. The genesis and VW both are bottom of the list on the last Consumer report, so I have to consider that as well.

I know these are not midsize SUV except the VW cross sport, but the list of 2 row midsize SUV is pretty short. Midsizes not making the cut:

-Ford Edge
-Jeep Grand-Cherokee
-Hyundai Santa fe
-Kia Sorento
-Honda Passport
-Chevrolet Blazer
-Nissan Murano

If the CX-70 would have been a smaller/ slightly cheaper CX-90, that it would have been my choice. I apparently don’t like any of the other mid-sizes choices, and I am now cross shopping all over the place. A midsize would have been nice, but I can settle for a compact SUV.
FYI there is also the QX50 from Infiniti but since the Murano didn't make the cut on your list, I would pass on this one too. 2.0L turbo variable compression with CVT? My previous ride was a 2017.5 Murano and was nothing but trouble; a great V6 engine, nice features but poor fit & finish, always in the shop and serious design flaws.

You are correct, forgot about the infinity. But as you said, the variable compression engine is pretty complicated and all new tech, without a whole lot of benefits. They already have a recall on it I think. Probably the main reason I am not considering it.

Last edited:
not sure why you say that. i assume it's based on the mini like the last gen, but it looks much nicer to me. i'm not planning to get one, but i wouldn't rule it out just because it's a FWD based platform and the other BMWs are RWD based. i also never said anything about the x3.

With the CX70 reveal fiasco, basically showing us a car the nobody expected it/wanted and the overwhelming negative opinions about this, what is everybody buying.

I will start myself as I was waiting for basically two years for this model to arrive. I wanted a bench on the second row and I wanted the artisan red color and nice wheels on the highest trim along with the Red nappa interior. Of course I wanted the length slashed for about 5 inches. All in one I could stomach this length, however, Nappa red leather is only available on GT-P trim level (Canada), therefore you are left out with the old instrument cluster. Artisan Red is not available at all. Wheels on the highest trim and GT-P are kind of meh.

The results, I went and test drove again the CX90 and this week will order most likely a CX90 in Artisan Red with tan interior.
Sorry, but what is so overwhelming and negative response?..
What is it that hurst peoples eyes because its not what they think they need, people do winge about nothing.

Mazda always said it , sorry the KJ CX-70! Yes its a KJ model code and is a 2025 model year, was going to be a 2 row crossover.

So what do people want, a smaller car?? Then people would complain it is too small and would like it larger.
The CX-60 is the smaller model not sold in NA.

Engines, same applies.

Anyway, the CX-90 is going gangbusters sales wise in North America, I heard a rumour it is being released in Europe/ UK?

I’ll be going for the CX-70. It still will fit my needs best and look great doing that.
Good on you, I just dont understand this so called Negative BS response...

I really dislike people who dump on a product before its released.

So is it the launch delay?, well they can only make so many units.

That’s because everyone that was excited and looking forward for the reveal were people waiting for a 2 row midsize, something that would fit between the CX-5/CX-50 and the CX-9/CX-90. So when Mazda release a 2 row CX-90, that is not what the audience at the reveal was expecting and hoping for. As great as the CX-70 may be, this is not what the crowd excited for its reveal were expecting or needing. The negativity is just that. Mazda promised a wider/ larger CX-60, they offered a CX-90 with a 3rd row delete, at about the same price.

What people were expecting:
- bigger than CX-5 but smaller than CX-90
- same powertrain as the CX-90, but in a lighter vehicle, potentially offering more performance.
- a lower price than the CX-90

I was also hoping for more passenger space. By removing the third row, you usually can design the second row to be pushed further back. They didn’t even do that. The CX-90 is already low in class in driver and passenger space, the CX-70 does not fix it. We were expecting this vehicle to fall in the Ford Edge, Nissan Murano, Grand Cherokee sizes and it doesn’t.

In short, we are disappointed the CX-70 is not a new vehicle in the lineup and is only a third row replaced by storage cubicle. We all wanted a new vehicle in the lineup, instead we got a bench seat option.

So the question remain, what are you shopping for now? If you were waiting and looking to purchase a 6 cylinder RWD midsize crossover with a focus on above average handling under the luxury prices?

Someone bought an X5 for a lot more money, some are saying used X3 M40i, but that is significantly smaller than a midsize SUV. Some are getting Lexus again, but I would argue this sacrifice handling. Someone went for a CX-90. What is the best option on the market now for those that were expecting the vehicle that we dreamed the CX-70 was going to be?

i'm not in the market for one of the big luxo-mazdas, but even i was a bit disappointed by the reveal, or what i saw of it. i kind of wish we just got the cx-60 or something closer to that; isn't the cx-60 bigger than the cx-5 and cx-50? isn't it wider? instead of insulting us with a car that is almost identical to the cx-90, why not bring over a different car that is actually in between the smaller models and the cx-90 in size? i could be way off here, as i can't be bothered researching models i won't be driving anytime soon, but that's my take on things.

So what do people want, a smaller car?? Then people would complain it is too small and would like it larger.
You need to work on your "Jedi mind trick". The CX70 and CX90 are literally the same size! Which person in their right mind wants the CX70 to be larger?

Folks are going to vote with their wallets and some have already moved on...

i had a specific user case as I was swapping out both our vehicles within a yr and I also tow, but when the CX90 came out I wanted to like it, but decided to go different route. I considered waiting for the 70 (this was last spring) but situation forced my hand.

I strongly considered the Passport but didn't like the reviews wrt towing. Looked at the RDX again, after considering it but going with a CX9 in 2019. Didn't consider BMW/Benz due to price. Q5 were having reports of issues (connecting rods I think) so I passed, also a bit pricey. Hated the QX50 dynamics.

Long story short, after thinking about the two CX models for way too long I decided to get a Chevy Blazer RS. I'm thinking not a lot cross shop it with Mazda, I certainly didn't for months. Had zero intention of going Chevy or american, owned GM cars in the early 2000s but not since. Ended up looking at the Edge with the bigger engine and suitable length for us, but then happened to see couple reviews on the Blazer so checked it out.

Not disappointed.

308 HP, naturally aspirated V6 would have done it alone, but add in torque vectoring and I was sold. Interior is naturally a couple tiers below Mazda but if I had to complain about the interior it would be that it's a bit dark rather than it has poor materials, so overall I'm satisfied with the interior. Decent space in back seat, cargo is obviously less than the 9, 90 or 70 but its enough for us. I love the exterior look.

If the CX70 had been shorter, I would perhaps have been having regrets now but as is, the length wouldn't suit our commute. Blazer is 191 inches which makes a difference in an 80 min commute to a deep parking garage in downtown Toronto.

I started to realize the ICE age for vehicles is probably getting to it's sunset, that was sort of the final push for me on the Blazer. I for a sec considered a hemi Durango, but as is the V6 does put a smile on my face.

Elephant in the room is reliability, so far so good and I'll deal with that if and when.

Sorry, but what is so overwhelming and negative response?..
What is it that hurst peoples eyes because its not what they think they need, people do winge about nothing.

Mazda always said it , sorry the KJ CX-70! Yes its a KJ model code and is a 2025 model year, was going to be a 2 row crossover.

The CX-60 is the smaller model not sold in NA.

Engines, same applies.

Anyway, the CX-90 is going gangbusters sales wise in North America, I heard a rumour it is being released in Europe/ UK?
I've not seen anyone say the CX-70 is a bad vehicle. What people are complaining about is that it is a CX-90 without the 3rd row when what was expected by almost everyone in the world including the entire automotive press (who was interviewing Mazda executives and engineers) was a NEW 2-row vehicle wider and longer than the CX-60 (but not minivan sized) that would slot between the compact CX-5/50 and the CX-90. Nobody know how we got to this point. Whether it was Mazda's intent all along or if they were unable to execute their original plan for the CX-70.

Almost everyone here owns and likes Mazdas. I personally would love to see Mazda do better in the U.S. Market. But they keep pulling stupid pet tricks. While the current CX-70 is clearly cheaper to produce (less RD&E costs and use of common parts) than an all new midsize 2-row, it will also sell considerably worse. And it still leaves the gaping hole Mazda has had in their lineup at least since the CX-7 was killed in 2012. The PR department completely failed them. They should have recognized the expectations and since what they intended to deliver would not meet them, they needed to take action.

This wasn't that difficult:
MazdaCockup.png

And as to the CX-90 sales...it is well received and selling well, but not up to expectations. These are January 2024 YOY monthly sales. Annualized it is not quite 40,000 U.S. sales. Better than the CX-9, but not up to the level they wanted. It is a full size. Put a 192", 2-Row midsize with turbo inline 6 and rear biased AWD and it will sell a lot better.

1709392887436.png

i had a specific user case as I was swapping out both our vehicles within a yr and I also tow, but when the CX90 came out I wanted to like it, but decided to go different route. I considered waiting for the 70 (this was last spring) but situation forced my hand.

I strongly considered the Passport but didn't like the reviews wrt towing. Looked at the RDX again, after considering it but going with a CX9 in 2019. Didn't consider BMW/Benz due to price. Q5 were having reports of issues (connecting rods I think) so I passed, also a bit pricey. Hated the QX50 dynamics.

Long story short, after thinking about the two CX models for way too long I decided to get a Chevy Blazer RS. I'm thinking not a lot cross shop it with Mazda, I certainly didn't for months. Had zero intention of going Chevy or american, owned GM cars in the early 2000s but not since. Ended up looking at the Edge with the bigger engine and suitable length for us, but then happened to see couple reviews on the Blazer so checked it out.

Not disappointed.

308 HP, naturally aspirated V6 would have done it alone, but add in torque vectoring and I was sold. Interior is naturally a couple tiers below Mazda but if I had to complain about the interior it would be that it's a bit dark rather than it has poor materials, so overall I'm satisfied with the interior. Decent space in back seat, cargo is obviously less than the 9, 90 or 70 but its enough for us. I love the exterior look.

If the CX70 had been shorter, I would perhaps have been having regrets now but as is, the length wouldn't suit our commute. Blazer is 191 inches which makes a difference in an 80 min commute to a deep parking garage in downtown Toronto.

I started to realize the ICE age for vehicles is probably getting to it's sunset, that was sort of the final push for me on the Blazer. I for a sec considered a hemi Durango, but as is the V6 does put a smile on my face.

Elephant in the room is reliability, so far so good and I'll deal with that if and when.
It is interesting that nobody actually considered to put the Durango on the options list. Durango I would say its probably the closest competitor to the Mazda CX90, in terms of RWD platform, engine (entry V6 Pentastar) and LENGTH. I drove both the V6 standard engine and the RT one with the V8. Both engines paired with the ZF transmission (although older version) are awesome to drive and like you said it puts a smile on your face. It's a Dodge, yes, reliability is not there, creaks and loose stuff but size/power driving dynamics are very close to the CX90 IMO (would say that is more engaging to drive than the CX90 because of the transmission).

The Durango is a CX-90 competitor, not a 2-row midsize SUV. That is why it isn’t considered in this thread.

As for the Blazer, I must admit I took it out of my list based on reputation and reliability alone. I just crossed all the american cars of my list based on my experience with my Ford Edge. Maybe I should revisit it.

To be fair, the Ford wasn’t that terrible, but I have been spoiled with a rock solid mazda 6 2004 and a similarly reliable Mazda 3 2010. It was just the annoying obvious cut cutting, like having to replace the exhaust pipe after 7 years because it wasn’t stainless steel and had rusted through. At least it was cheap to replace I guess.

The Durango is a CX-90 competitor, not a 2-row midsize SUV. That is why it isn’t considered in this thread.

As for the Blazer, I must admit I took it out of my list based on reputation and reliability alone. I just crossed all the american cars of my list based on my experience with my Ford Edge. Maybe I should revisit it.

To be fair, the Ford wasn’t that terrible, but I have been spoiled with a rock solid mazda 6 2004 and a similarly reliable Mazda 3 2010. It was just the annoying obvious cut cutting, like having to replace the exhaust pipe after 7 years because it wasn’t stainless steel and had rusted through. At least it was cheap to replace I guess.

The other thing is, TBH, Mazda reliability is why I got rid of my CX9. So it didn't help me to go with a trusted Japanese brand anyway. Naturally it's about odds, but at the same time I am not about to drive most toyotas just bc they last.

And even if one wanted to discount the leak issue being on a different engine, it's still taking a chance on relatively new engineering in the 90/70 engine/transmission. Personally I'd like more time and more models with miles on them to see what's up.

The other thing is, TBH, Mazda reliability is why I got rid of my CX9. So it didn't help me to go with a trusted Japanese brand anyway. Naturally it's about odds, but at the same time I am not about to drive most toyotas just bc they last.

And even if one wanted to discount the leak issue being on a different engine, it's still taking a chance on relatively new engineering in the 90/70 engine/transmission. Personally I'd like more time and more models with miles on them to see what's up.
I am of the same opinion with reliability and odds. Dealer support is why I keep going back to my preferred Mazda dealer to purchase new Mazdas. The cars are nice, too, but having a dealer I trust makes a world of difference. Hence why I may just make a CX-70/90 work for me.

I am of the same opinion with reliability and odds. Dealer support is why I keep going back to my preferred Mazda dealer to purchase new Mazdas. The cars are nice, too, but having a dealer I trust makes a world of difference. Hence why I may just make a CX-70/90 work for me.
I have found a dealer about 45 min away that's great, compared to the one 5 min away. I don't think i will switch, but I won't lie it's tempting and if I had an issue where it might matter, I'd drive. Will do occasional stuff there to make sure I'm not a complete stranger. Did buy from the one 5 min away though, and they aren't bad just not amazing.

It also must be said that if one turns over vehicles a lot, reliability is less a factor. We don't often keep past 5 yrs, and with one of us having significant WFH, there's flexibility should something go wrong. So reliability is preferred, but I will look at other things over it.

Very diff if someone is a one car household and does 30k miles a yr.

Anyone on the fence of getting the X5, BMW has a March promotional APR of 2.99% up to 60 months (3.49% up to 72)!

The normal APR lately has been more like 5.29% so March is the month! @dwswager, your dealer will probably give you this rate since you still haven't taken delivery yet!

Anyone on the fence of getting the X5, BMW has a March promotional APR of 2.99% up to 60 months (3.49% up to 72)!

The normal APR lately has been more like 5.29% so March is the month! @dwswager, your dealer will probably give you this rate since you still haven't taken delivery yet!
Thank you. Yeah, still going back and forth on paying cash outright or financing it. I would like to help my dealer out and finance, but in February, the dealer quoted 6.99% and that was a no go! Of course, been selling stock into the recent rally to raise the cash already. Wonder if they would go lower for 48 months. Nope 2.99% for up to 60 months.

Last edited:
Great car/engine/transmission but I really hope you are not keeping those wheels :D
You will be relieved to find out that the photo of my X5 is just a representation for the Track My BMW site. The actual wheel I choose is the BMW 20" M STAR-SPOKE BI-COLOR WHEELS, STYLE 740M WITH ALL-SEASON RUN-FLAT TIRES which looks like the photo below.

1709483693262.png

In fact the vehicle actually will look like this:
1709484577229.png

Last edited:
Back