Switched to 5W-30 from 0W-20

Ford switched from 5W-20 to 5W-30 in all of their 3.5NA 6-cylinder engines. Just some anecdotal information. You can make of that what you want. It has no bearing on which oil I choose I just find it interesting.

Mazda says that either grade of oil is acceptable, so use the one you want.

View attachment 324853
Great info -- Thanks for taking the time to post that chart !!!

Ford switched from 5W-20 to 5W-30 in all of their 3.5NA 6-cylinder engines. Just some anecdotal information. You can make of that what you want. It has no bearing on which oil I choose I just find it interesting.

Mazda says that either grade of oil is acceptable, so use the one you want.

View attachment 324853
The manual has changed for 2023 models. It does not suggest you can use 5-30W for US & Canada NA engines.

But..it still recommends 5-30W for turbos and for 'other than' US & Canada NA engines.

Anyone use LiquiMoly?

LiquidMoly.jpg

The most important thing is that it passes the latest tests, which are API SP and ILSAC GF-6. Technically, they aren't "needed" for non-turbo engines, but they are still beneficial, and they meet all previous standards, so you may as well use the latest.

This is the best oil I have come across:

I use 5w40/5w30 during the winter in my NA Skyactiv 2.5 and will go 10w30/10w40 in the summer.

The Idemitsu 5w-30 synthetic meets the GF-6 standards. I bought a 5 quart jug on RockAuto for $31 plus shipping

Screenshot 2024-01-10 082322.jpg
Specs.jpg

Last edited:
I would love to see an oil analysis of this. price is good for synthetic. doing some research on the company and they sound legit for sure.
Well in theory that's what the oil analysis I posted is. All the reading I did pointed to Idemitsu Synthetic as the factory fill in Hiroshima. I have no way of confirming it but it makes sense.

By the way if you buy a multi-pack online you can get down into the $25 per 5 qt range for the best oils. I picked up 3 jugs of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for $27 ea.

Well in theory that's what the oil analysis I posted is. All the reading I did pointed to Idemitsu Synthetic as the factory fill in Hiroshima. I have no way of confirming it but it makes sense.

By the way if you buy a multi-pack online you can get down into the $25 per 5 qt range for the best oils. I picked up 3 jugs of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum for $27 ea.
I have been a PUP guy for ever. Not sure if you know but if sign up and use PUP they give you a 500,000 mile drivetrain warranty. I have used PUP in all my vehicles and will in this one unless i see something that is better...I ran it in my last 4 jeeps and am running it in my RAM 6.4 and both Hondas (civic and CRV) . Again I would like to see an analysis on it. I know many of the factory fills are not what is actually for sale on the shelves.

Competition is GOOD - thanx for the post -- It looks like Idemsu which is the identical Mazda US OE oil w/moly ....I suspect ?
I don't think Idemitsu is made in Germany? A quick search shows Indiana.

Anyway if it's cheaper than $25 / qt it's probably good, but since you can get API SP and ILSAC GF-6 for around there I'm not sure it's worth it to get an older spec oil. Weigh the cost/benefit.

Some info I found on GF-6 A and B:
https://360.lubrizol.com/Specifications/ILSAC/ILSAC-GF-6/ILSAC-GF-6A-and-GF-6B

0w-20 isn't "special." Its been the default oil for most passenger vehicles for at least the last 10 years. When I worked for Chevy it was the weight to be used in the 5.3L engines in the Silverado and Tahoe/Suburban (don't know if that has changed).
If you guys don't like 0w-20, you must LOVE the 0w-16 and 0w-8 that Toyota is using now

Interestingly, 5W-30 has close to twice the market share as 0W-20.

motor oil sales by type.png

Last edited:
IIRC… Idemitsu makes the 0W-20 moly for Mazda according to some old threads I thought I read on BITOG

Back