2022 CX-9 Creaking Videos

All summer in the heat, mine were popping off multiple times a drive, now that it's cooling down, I only notice every so often, always after I come to a stop and turn left or right while taking off.

Won't notice it much at all over winter. I hope you troubleshoot it. A bit disheartening that a company that takes pride in it's engineering prowess doesn't seem committed to following up on known issues.
Freeking thing wont do it today!!! Maybe 5 degrees cooler then yesterday. Those vids were yesterday. Goddamit. Like I said I am stuck with this car, cant sell it, dont wanna go down that rabbit hole. Not fair to put this on someone else. Fingers crossed on my dealer appt tomorrow. Gunna tell the service writer right off the bat I'm not going to be getting a call from him later in the day saying the mechanic can't duplicate the problem. That's not even going to happen. So ****** pissed

The only things I havent removed from the car are the struts and upper bearings/mounts. I would love to press those LCA rubber bushings out and slather them up with silicone grease. That would be interesting to see

Yup. Thats when mine does it too. Coming off a stop, accelerating and turning right or left. Also over uneven surfaces and also body roll.

If its temp related that kind of indicates rubber to me.

All summer in the heat, mine were popping off multiple times a drive, now that it's cooling down, I only notice every so often, always after I come to a stop and turn left or right while taking off.

Won't notice it much at all over winter. I hope you troubleshoot it. A bit disheartening that a company that takes pride in it's engineering prowess doesn't seem committed to following up on known issues.

Thank you for you post. Yea, I think the dealer knows I will keep returning at this point. They might keep trying or give up. I opened the case last week and the lady said that if the dealer can't fix it or won't fix it I can bring it to a different dealer. But I tried that and the second dealer was horrible. She said if I can't get any resolution it'll get assigned to a case manager and there's a possibility of Mazda buying the car back. My brothers an attorney and I helped him do his brakes on his f-150. Maybe it's time he can return the favor and look into that lemon law for me. The murky part of this is is that noise "enough" to trigger Mazda to step in.
Well that response from mazda is at least encouraging. I'd stay cordial with them and just move through the process. If the dealer says they can't reproduce it just take the car back and move to the next step with corporate. I think if you just google your state and lemon law you can at least get an idea where you stand on that, but I'd just keep moving forward with corporate and see where that goes at least. My opinion is that suspension noise is enough for lemon law. That is not functioning as designed or within spec if there is that loud of knocking going on.
For what it's worth, my money is on the strut bearing mounts. I had a lot of problems with those on my 1st gen cx9 and they tricky to diagnose and temperature dependent. The noise also sounded different than a regular suspension clunk because the noise sounded like it was coming from higher up.
Good luck. I've (hopefully) concluded my own recent battle with suspension noises, and I have no love for the dealer, so I feel your pain.

At the dealer now. They gave me a loaner. CX-90 I dont want to appear ingreatful but wow, I like my CX-9 MUCH better. Except for the creak. :)

Dealer called, says they been trying to find the noise. Want to keep it overnight and investigate more tomorrow. Kinda gettin my hopes up!

Higher the hopes, harder the fall. Just enjoy the cx-90 and put some miles on it
The 10 speed trans and the i-stop really are distractig on this 90

The 6 speed on my 9 is butter smooth, always shifts perfectly.

Yeah I know the heart of the Fall is correct. I actually had a dream that they were going to find out the problem. A better get a little bit more realistic huh?

Cautiously optimistic. No creeks on the 15 mile drive home. Will update. The service advisor said they used the SST wireless chassis ear to locate the creak. God damit I hope this fixes it. I really like how my car drives. They did an alignment with my favorite .35 total tow for straight line stability too. Car drive sweet I gotta say. Props to Walser Mazda Burnsville Mn. Classy with no BS
20231012_142327.jpg

Last edited:
Cautiously optimistic. No creeks on the 15 mile drive home. Will update. The service advisor said they used the SST wireless chassis ear to locate the creak. God damit I hope this fixes it. I really like how my car drives. They did an alignment with my favorite .35 total tow for straight line stability too. Car drive sweet I gotta say. Props to Walser Mazda Burnsville Mn. Classy with no BS
View attachment 323003
They deserve a case of beer

That's great! I hope that's it. That's a win in my book just getting a dealer that will actually acknowledge the problem and make a sincere attempt at fixing it.

I think these guys are good. I am always suspicious that they are blowin smoke but I think they are good and did what they said. When the service writer called me to advise me on the fix he asked me if I had a preference on alingments. I had mentioned to him I had been fighting high speed wander and finally got it perfect. They needed to aling because LCAs share bolts with subframe. I said .35 or a smidge more total toe makes it stay straight. They put it at .37 total toe. Nice.

Back