2010 Mazdaspeed3 Officially Launched in Japan

If some aftermarket, low-profile hood and front bumper come out, I'll be on this faster than a chihuahua on a person's leg.

+1

hood scoop improves airflow to intercooler
dual exhaust tips
new designed mazdaspeed3 seats
2nd-5th gear all taller
new ECU calibration
new torque management system calibration
chassis stiffened up to 40%
stiffer springs, higher damping rates for suspension
improved front stabilizer bar design
wider tires - 225/40R18 vs old ms3 215/40R18
steering rack 3 point mount vs old ms3 2 point
electrohydraulic steering vs old ms3 hydraulic, improves steering feel
electronic brake assist (vs old ms3 purely mechanical brake assist)
pushbutton start
nanotechology catalytic convertor
...etc

yep, not a single thing to like over the outgoing model.

dual exhaust tips
2nd-5th gear all taller
new ECU calibration
pushbutton start
...etc

All your points are good, but you're mistaken about the tire size. The 1st gen has 215/45/18. At least the wheels are an inch wider. The hood scoop doesn't improve the air flow no more than the setup on the 1st gen. I like the dual exhausts and can't wait to see what the rear end looks like with an aftermarket setup. I'm noticing a lot of stock 4cyl dual exhausts on newer cars these days.

I hope they focused on 1st and 6th because in the 1st gen 1st gear is pretty much useless. I should be able to cruise at 70-75 at 2K in 6th, so what's the point in having a 6th gear? If the springs are stiffer which I don't believe they are, that wouldn't be a wise decision. The springs on the 1st gen were criticized for being too stiff, so I don't think they made them stiffer. The new seats aren't all that great. They're no improvement over the old ones, more of an eyesore than anything.

Attachments

• P1J04364s.jpg
    P1J04364s.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
dual exhaust tips
2nd-5th gear all taller
new ECU calibration
pushbutton start
...etc

What are you, a salesman? That's the kind of useless stuff you find in a marketing brochure or something. I could care less about the "electronic brake assist, improved front stabilizer bar design, stiffer springs, electrohydraulic steering" if none of that translates into a significant improvement over the outgoing model. Nanotechnology cat?! Doesn't mean much to the performance enthusiast sorry. Dual exhaust tips? Sure, looks nicer but surely not a reason to buy it. And don't get me started on the "new designed MS3 seats" coz they look quite ugly actually and look rather flat so I only see it as a downgrade. A 10 mm increase in tire width isn't going to translate to much diff in the real world so again, nothing to write home about.

So out of that list, I can see 3 things I like about the new model:

Chassis is stiffer by 40% - kind of a no brainer these days as pretty much anything new is "stiffer" and should translate to a more refined & composed ride. And if they did their homework the thing MAY even handle better!

Pushbutton start - convenience feature, nice to have but I've been living fine on plain 'ol keys for the last 16 years on all my cars. Surely not a reason to buy a car over it.

Dual exhaust tips - cosmetic. On a turbo 4-banger, of little to no performance benefit.

What are you, a salesman? That's the kind of useless stuff you find in a marketing brochure or something. I could care less about the "electronic brake assist, improved front stabilizer bar design, stiffer springs, electrohydraulic steering" if none of that translates into a significant improvement over the outgoing model. Nanotechnology cat?! Doesn't mean much to the performance enthusiast sorry. Dual exhaust tips? Sure, looks nicer but surely not a reason to buy it. And don't get me started on the "new designed MS3 seats" coz they look quite ugly actually and look rather flat so I only see it as a downgrade. A 10 mm increase in tire width isn't going to translate to much diff in the real world so again, nothing to write home about.

So out of that list, I can see 3 things I like about the new model:

Chassis is stiffer by 40% - kind of a no brainer these days as pretty much anything new is "stiffer" and should translate to a more refined & composed ride. And if they did their homework the thing MAY even handle better!

Pushbutton start - convenience feature, nice to have but I've been living fine on plain 'ol keys for the last 16 years on all my cars. Surely not a reason to buy a car over it.

Dual exhaust tips - cosmetic. On a turbo 4-banger, of little to no performance benefit.

+1

forgot one big point

2010 MS3* vs 1st generation

*look up (angry, ugly, smiling, pathetic, unappealing, slap me, clown face, front end)

I could care less about the "electronic brake assist, improved front stabilizer bar design, stiffer springs, electrohydraulic steering" if none of that translates into a significant improvement over the outgoing model.

it does.

the major complaints about the old ms3 have been addressed.

• under tired
  • springs too soft
  • under damped
  • poor steering feel
  • too short gearing
  • tq management too intrusive
  • chassis stiffness lacking, especially in the back
  • heatsoaks too easily
  • CAI needed to fully unleash stock engine

those who care about performance know its a better handler. its already obvious from comparisons of the 2010 mz3 vs 2009 mz3.

I really like the new cars. We have had a few of the new 2010 Mazda 3s here in the shop for development work and the they dont look bad at all.

If you want to see a shocker though, park one of the new cars next to a BJ chassis protege. The protege looks outdated.

We got a call yesterday from the dealer which we ordered our 2010 MS3 from. They have told us the car should be in port on July 2nd.

Derrick

(blarf)

ok i feel better now. That thing is an epic failure of a seller from the front to the seats to the tail lights in terms of aesthetics. Glad i kept my old out going gen fresh and clean.

Last edited:
The new car is definetly an improvement (I would hope so) looks are subjective (I happen to find the new MS3 very appealing) and if I wanted to continue my high HP FWD driving experience Id be all over this car. But Im going WRX, 370z or 'gasp' Hyundai Genesis coupe next.

If I were you, I'd go 370Z, WRX and Genesis in that order. Unless you have a family then it would be WRX, 370Z then Genesis. I'm super impressed with the hyundai though.

it does.

the major complaints about the old ms3 have been addressed.

• under tired
  • springs too soft
  • under damped
  • poor steering feel
  • too short gearing
  • tq management too intrusive
  • chassis stiffness lacking, especially in the back
  • heatsoaks too easily
  • CAI needed to fully unleash stock engine

those who care about performance know its a better handler. its already obvious from comparisons of the 2010 mz3 vs 2009 mz3.

The question is whether or not it's worth it to get one over the outgoing model (in my case). Consideration also going to the fact that I have some money already invested in my current MS3 and is already improved upon from a stock MS3. It's probably a no brainer for someone who's trading up from a MZ3 or who has never owned a MS3 (if they can stomach the looks).

It's great that you can bench/magazine/brochure race but I would usually like to hold off on making any comparisons until I can drive it for myself (unless you happen to have already test driven the new MS3 then accept my apologies). All I'm saying is that it better damn drive like a dream (or handle like an Evo8) coz it has to work against so many things I already don't like about it.

All I'm saying is that it better damn drive like a dream (or handle like an Evo8) coz it has to work against so many things I already don't like about it.

what are the so many things you don't like about it, other than looks?

what are the so many things you don't like about it, other than looks?

There's not much more I can go on seeing that I haven't driven it yet. But if I don't like the looks inside & out then it kinda makes it harder to swallow UNLESS it has smoking performance. Case in point would be the car I almost bought instead of the MS3 (couldn't justify the price in the end): BMW 135i - soso exterior styling, decent interior but holy crap 350+ HP with a reflash and it handles pretty well & rides even better.

What I can gather so far about the 2010 MS3 is that straight line performance will be about equal if not worse than the current gen (should come in a bit heavier I'm guessing). Ride & handling SHOULD be better because of the stiffer structure and the tinkering but I don't expect anything leaps & bounds better. More creature comforts which are always nice but no reason to upgrade. But the looks just KILL it. I saw the 2010 MZ3 sedan at the recent auto show and sat in it as well. The looks MAY grow on me but I really didn't care for the interior at all and actually prefer the current design more.

It's not so much what I don't like about it but it giving me no reason to consider buying it is all. It almost seems like a simple cosmetic change (even though I'm sure it's not) but for the worse so it doesn't really deserve my money.

so it's not "so many things" then, just one single thing -- looks.

sounds a lot like the bmw owners who whined to no end over the bangle redesigned 3 series even though the redesigned 3 was massively superior to the old 3 series in every way. their obsession with looks blinded them to performance.

the new ms3 is better than the old ms3 in every way. maybe not enough to cause you to dump your current ms3 and get a new one, but that doesn't mean the new ms3 sucks. it's silly to diss it because you have an investment in your current car that's holding you back.

Last edited:
so it's not "so many things" then, just one single thing -- looks.

sounds a lot like the bmw owners who whined to no end over the bangle redesigned 3 series even though the redesigned 3 was massively superior to the old 3 series in every way. their obsession with looks blinded them to performance.

the new ms3 is better than the old ms3 in every way. maybe not enough to cause you to dump your current ms3 and get a new one, but that doesn't mean the new ms3 sucks. it's silly to diss it because you have an investment in your current car that's holding you back.
What you're doing is giving it praise before it's even tested. You're jumping the gun. There have been tweaks here and there, but they may or may not have been for the better. No one will really know until the tests and reviews. So you can't say it's better in every way.

From what I've seen in a recent pic, the struts are carried over from the current gen. It wasn't a full pic of the strut, just the top of the rear. From switching out my stocks to a set of BCs, I know what the struts look like and they look the same to me. But that doesn't mean they are just because they look the same, it's just an observation. LINK I think the springs are the only difference. That doesn't mean it'll handle tons better though.

I think the argument here (as you've discussed) is whether it's justifiable for a current MS3 owner to trade in for a 2010 MS3. I don't think there's a huge benefit. What's to be gained? Creature comforts? Not really worth it. Don't get me wrong because I'm all for creature comforts, but someone with a Mazda 3 or some other brand of car will be the only ones who really benefit from this car. Especially if current MS3 owners have already invested in improvements over the flaws.

I just can't wait for the Best Motoring Tsukuba battle. To see how it fairs against it's competitors.

Last edited:
it's entirely possible mazda is lying about increasing the spring stiffness and improving the rebound damping, but i don't see what they would gain from lying.

i don't see the grille as a big issue as it's easily fixable. there are obviously those who wont be able to see beyond the grille though, just like the legions of bmw owners who couldnt see past flame surfacing.

Last edited:
the new ms3 is better than the old ms3 in every way.

So coming from a person who HASN'T driven the new MS3, you can make such a statement? Impressive - you have a special crystal ball or something?

I'm not about to give praise where it's not due. What I WILL do is voice my opinion on what I have seen for my own eyes. It's styling leaves much to be desired, inside and out. #s and marketing spiel mean nothing when they don't amount to much, other than hype.

And you're wrong, the current gen 3-series was not leaps and bounds better than the previous gen. Maybe for a bench racer like yourself, magazine #s and articles tell you that but having driven both generations and even the generation before these two, in terms of driving enjoyment, I think the last gen was probably the best. The major improvement (and it was a BIG one) in the current gen is the addition of the twin turbo engine. Stuff that engine in the last gen chassis and I'd be in heaven.

The major improvement (and it was a BIG one) in the current gen is the addition of the twin turbo engine.
:confused:

it's entirely possible mazda is lying about increasing the spring stiffness and improving the rebound damping, but i don't see what they would gain from lying.

i don't see the grille as a big issue as it's easily fixable. there are obviously those who wont be able to see beyond the grille though, just like the legions of bmw owners who couldnt see past flame surfacing.
What they would gain is entirely irrelevant, I think they just put out the wrong info. I also think what totally kills the 2010 MS3 is the simple fact they kept the 2.3 and didn't boost the 2.5 to 300hp. If they wanted to keep the 2.3, at least make the engine output match the Focus RS. Don't even get me started on AWD, or lack there of. Maybe then I could see everyone benefiting from this car, including current MS3 owners.

Last edited:
Back