Protege 5 rust

Has it got you too?!?!?

I know Kansei's car is soon to be a fatality to it!

I've been practicing patching things on the corolla before I attempt on the pro5. I hope i can get it to look good. Can't be worse than the previous owners blob-like attempts.

i had little on the inside of my door, at the weep hole...fixed for now, but it will be back!(confused)

Hi everyone I just purchased a 02 Protege 5 and I would like to know what is the best way to get rid of all the rust (there is a few small spots but nothing deep). Should I go with a complete body cleaning/repainting? and what about cleaning the engine, do all garage offer this service?

This is my first car so I am not 100% sure on how to proceed, I'd like it to last as long as possible. :p

getting rid of the rust will cost you several hundreds of dollars...the best you can do is chase it around the car..once it starts it's almost impossible to stop without removing the sheet metal completly and installing new skins.

the engine bay you can clean yourself, simple green and a lot of elbow grease is your friend!
this is mine after a long NE winter, sand and salty roads

Attachments

• whaling 2.jpg
    whaling 2.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Very nice engine, I don't mind putting a few hundreds to get rid of the rust. I guess changing pannels would up that estimate from a few hundreds to a few thousands or is it still affordable?

Very nice engine, I don't mind putting a few hundreds to get rid of the rust. I guess changing pannels would up that estimate from a few hundreds to a few thousands or is it still affordable?
yup

Protoge5 Rust issues

I have a 2002 P5 bought new and after the 4th year the bubbles appeared around the Protoge5 emblem and rear wheel well edge. Fortunately with a help of a friend we have repainted the whole hatch and it turned out pretty good. After 2 years still no rust on it. However I did notice a lot of rust on the bottom of the car so with my friend we have undercoated it with thick undercoating oil. Also, I would like to let everybody know about a product called Fluid Film. It's amazing stuff. It doesn't wash off and it's made of wool wax. I sprayed it inside my doors, hatch, fenders, hood and rocker panel. It's not cheap but it is cheaper than repainting or replacing body panels. You can spray it on rust and it will stop it immediately.
My other rust problem caused a major fuel leak when the bracket holding the fuel pump assembly rusted and caused the plastic housing to crack. Cost me $650.00 to fix. Needless to say I sprayed the s*** out of the new metal bracked and surrounding area with Fluid Film.
Right now I'm about replace my oil pan which is about to fall apart from rust.
(p5silver)

Attachments

• rust 1.jpg
    rust 1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 433
  • ready to paint.jpg
    ready to paint.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 426
  • done.jpg
    done.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 390
  • before the undercoating.jpg
    before the undercoating.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 451
  • oil pan.jpg
    oil pan.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Damn dude, where are you from that you're getting rust like that? Do you live by the ocean or something?

Damn dude, where are you from that you're getting rust like that? Do you live by the ocean or something?

We pay extra tax here in London, Ontario so that the sanders will put down more salt. (rant)

Nice job on the emblem repair, I have rust on my silver P5 in exactly the same place, plus I've been told that the oil pan is rusted out.

No, nowhere near ocean but we probably got just as much salt in winter on our roads. London, Ontario is about 2hrs North-East of Detroit.

I use POR 15 rust sealant. Works great in salty Michigan. make sure ot top coat it.

Hi everyone I just purchased a 02 Protege 5 and I would like to know what is the best way to get rid of all the rust (there is a few small spots but nothing deep). Should I go with a complete body cleaning/repainting? and what about cleaning the engine, do all garage offer this service?

This is my first car so I am not 100% sure on how to proceed, I'd like it to last as long as possible. :p

We pay extra tax here in London, Ontario so that the sanders will put down more salt. (rant)

Nice job on the emblem repair, I have rust on my silver P5 in exactly the same place, plus I've been told that the oil pan is rusted out.

Thanks. All P5's in Ontario must look like mine from the bottom and I think Mazda's paint is inferior to say, Toyota's. Our 10 year old Tercel had barely any rust on it.

Last edited:
i've always has some rust in the weel wells, i have been sanding and repainting but it always come back in new places. i dread to think how much rust will come out again after this winter. So far , its been small spots here and there but eventually the rust will become uncontrollable ...

Rust = Character

Hey, I've been driving Canadian "Salt-ways" and "Stone-chip-lanes" for over 10 years..... I still have not owned a car that did not rust..... I do have a problem with the $1200 dollar estimate to fix my badge-rust problem but such is life.... Metal is made to corrode, Cars die and America will always find cheaper and crappier ways to make cars that stupid people like us buy. I figure, if it's fun to drive, go till you can see the ground through the floorboards. Then put a 2x4 in there to cover the hole and go for a while longer! Just think of all the good laughs you've had at the rust buckets driving beside you.... The world needs laughter and I'm willing to help for a while...(rofl)

Back