Speedometer shows 2X actual speed

:
W WA
:
2024 CX-5 Premium
I have a new 2020 CX-5 GT, less than 600 miles. This afternoon while driving I glanced at the speedometer and it showed me going 90mph. I was on a rural road with speed limit of 35, my speed was probably about 45mph. I stopped and then continued without turning the engine off, sure enough the speedometer appeared to be showing about twice the speed I was actually traveling. I checked and the dash displays (range, trip computers) were indicating miles and not kilometers). After stopping again and this time turning the engine off the speedometer was back to normal. Anyone ever experienced anything like this? It was quite strange.

I have a new 2020 CX-5 GT, less than 600 miles. This afternoon while driving I glanced at the speedometer and it showed me going 90mph. I was on a rural road with speed limit of 35, my speed was probably about 45mph. I stopped and then continued without turning the engine off, sure enough the speedometer appeared to be showing about twice the speed I was actually traveling. I checked and the dash displays (range, trip computers) were indicating miles and not kilometers). After stopping again and this time turning the engine off the speedometer was back to normal. Anyone ever experienced anything like this? It was quite strange.
Did you take a picture or video? Show it to your Mazda dealer next time when you have a chance to visit them.

I had this sort of thing happen on a couple of vehicles but never my cx5.

Probably a weak battery affecting a cpu someplace (Body Control Module -BCM)

Your vehicle is so new that the battery might need more charging. Do you like to sit in the garage and listen to the radio? Lots of starting and stopping with not enough cruising?

Problem solved, user error! What happened is that when I recently filled up with gas I pressed the "stem" that sticks out by the tachometer, thinking that this would reset the trip computer. It actually switches from MPH to KPH. So speedometer was reading KPH. Doh!

That is downright wacky. I would get it checked out just to make sure everything is OK.

I've seen the posted speed in the HUD be off by a lot before, but never had the speedometer wig out like that. Presumably it accrued more mileage on the odometer as well.

Problem solved, user error! What happened is that when I recently filled up with gas I pressed the "stem" that sticks out by the tachometer, thinking that this would reset the trip computer. It actually switches from MPH to KPH. So speedometer was reading KPH. Doh!

I guessed it was that but i saw you checked for kph and didnt wanna sound condescending haha

I agree with dougal. You shouldn’t be able to switch mph to kmh that easy. I can’t switch mph to kmh by press the trip odometer reset stick on my 2016 CX-5.

its not a trip odometer reset, thats the point. the stick ONLY adjusts dash brightness and switches between kph and mph. The trip meter is reset by holding the info button on the steering wheel

So it seems that the knob on the dash only changes the units for the speedometer and not for the other functions (like the odometers), and it resets when the car is restarted, unless the OP inadvertently pressed the knob again.

Pg 4-19 of the manual specifically says that this knob changes the speedometer units (not anything else), but says nothing about reverting to the default global setting when the car is restarted.

I believe that you change the units globally (and not subject to a restarting-reset) through the System settings.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but if you push and hold the "stem" in for a few seconds, you can cycle through several display options for Distance to Empty and current fuel mileage bar displays. You can even turn them off if you like. I couldn't find a reference in the manual for that, my service adviser told me about it.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but if you push and hold the "stem" in for a few seconds, you can cycle through several display options for Distance to Empty and current fuel mileage bar displays. You can even turn them off if you like. I couldn't find a reference in the manual for that, my service adviser told me about it.
**Edited to refer to all dash types**

For the Type A instrument cluster (Multi-function display is the center gauge within the speedometer), the Stem is for (1) dashboard illumination, (2) toggles between MPH and KPH when pulsed, and (3) scrolls through the following displays when pressed and held. (This is explained on Page 4-16 of the 2019 CX-5 manual.)

Display Changes for Type C Cluster are also done via the Stem (Pg 4-46) and via the Info Button for Type B Cluster (Pg 4-31).

Man, there are lots of combinations and variations to this stuff!! I tried to capture the differences here for these specific functions, but I know I'm gonna mis-translate something.

I'm assuming the OP has Type A, Cluster so here's that one:

For Type A Instrument Cluster

Clipboard01.png

For the Type B and Type C instrument clusters (multi-function display is the right-hand gauge), the Stem is for dashboard illumination only. (Pg 4-34 and 4-38.)

Last edited:
On mine if I press in the stem for a few seconds it zeros out the odometer.
I edited my prior post to address the Stem function for all dash types. I should have done that before.

There are 3 instrument cluster types. I'm pretty sure that in none of them does the Stem reset the trip odometer...that's done with the Info button. But the Stem does different things in each of them (although universally it dims the dash lights.)

My aching head...

Last edited:
Back