new small suv's with flash

Yep.

Sorry but the front overhang, thick chrome, and lack of swoop kill it for me every time I see it.

Gen 1 CX-5 was like the CUV that appealed to people like me (22 at the time, didn't want a car, didn't want a big SUV, didn't want a soccer mom mobile), and Gen 2 just doesn't....at all.

Last edited:
Yep.

Sorry but the front overhang, thick chrome, and lack of swoop kill it for me every time I see it.

Gen 1 CX-5 was like the CUV that appealed to people like me (22 at the time, didn't want a car, didn't want a big SUV, didn't want a soccer mom mobile), and Gen 2 just doesn't....at all.

I have sons similar to your age and they are split. One has a Mazda3 and the other a Civic, both 2017s.

I’ve had the old and currently the new body style. I like the new one, it’s less cute and more sophisticated looking. Something a bit more fitting for a GenXer. [emoji41]

I have sons similar to your age and they are split. One has a Mazda3 and the other a Civic, both 2017s.

I’ve had the old and currently the new body style. I like the new one, it’s less cute and more sophisticated looking. Something a. It more fitting for a GenXer. [emoji41]
27 now. I don't disagree with that. It's just not what I want out of a vehicle.

My CX-5 turns 5 on the 20th :)

I think the KFs look less distinct and have a more subdued look. My cx5 looks muscular like a panther on the prowl; big lights big mouth good size nose, muscle tone on the sides , low stance with tail up, and that bulged front fender style (reminiscent of 30s cars) and the kf is more like a hippo; still strong but you cant see the muscle swoops on the body are missing. More "round" overall . Big nose, stubby (more vertical) rear that kinda seems like a cuv generation back.
IDHWWYt.jpg

Gen1 looks peaked with the 16 MY imo. I like the looks of my car. Definitely looks great. GT would look even better.

I prefer the curves of the CX-5 to the straight lines of the new RAV4. I was always a big fan of RAV4s before they launched the outgoing 4th generation which shared the same long body version as the US model (we always got the short body version which was much better proportioned). If they should have hung on to one thing from the current model it’s the round wheel arches. What is going on with those new squared off arches? Grotesque.

Im surprised you didnt mention the elimination of the manual transmission.

That is the biggest bummer. Now I am out of options when I replace the CX-5. I wish the new Rav4 was availible with a 6-speed manual.

The CX-5 MT-6 is fun and easy to drive, even in traffic.

I must agree, it is a definite improvement over the outgoing model. But Toyota has been overstyling their vehicles in general a bit coming into this generation. If I had to guess, probably to make them "younger" and "edgy" to appeal to the under 60 crowd. Hahaha.

CX-5 still looks more classy and understated in a good way to me. I personally like the nose overhang look and the new squinted lights more than the outgoing model where everything seemed kind of "blown up" in proportion, if that makes any sense. But I understand why those of you that like the outgoing model rather it. There's a distinct difference between the two for sure.

Last edited:
I prefer the look of the KF, but it really needs the 19" wheels to fill it out. Glad they're on the Touring for MY 2018.

Back