New owner looking to get the navigation

ihaveworms

:
CX-5
I just picked up a 2016 CX-5 today and so far really enjoy it. It is the touring model and did not include the technology package. I want to confirm that even though I didn't get the tech package I can still purchase the SD card for the navigation and get the navigation on my car. Is that correct? I have the menu option there, but of course it does not work.

Now, if I can get the navigation for it, where would you all recommend I get it? I would prefer to get it online to avoid taxes, but I was unsure of what to get. Searching led me to eBay several times, but I wanted to ask you all that were more familiar and knowledgeable about this before I picked a certain one on eBay if that is where it is recommended to get it.

Another question, from my understanding I can get free map updates for a year. Is that correct?

I'm a GPS aficionado and I would love a great built-in GPS, but I recommend you buy a stand-alone GPS.

I'd like to use the built in one if I can so it is cleaner and don't have a stand alone unit mounted on the windshield.

I'd like to use the built in one if I can so it is cleaner and don't have a stand alone unit mounted on the windshield.

That's why I like the GPS to be integrated. But first and foremost, it needs to be functional. I don't know if the 2016 models are significantly better than the GPS in my 2013 but I can tell you it's barely better than nothing. If I'm in a totally unfamiliar area, I might turn mine on but I don't rely upon it or attempt to use it as a real navigation device. If I need real functionality, I'll bring my trusty 12 year old Garmin 376c along, even with maps I haven't updated in 5 years it's worlds better than the built in TomTom. But, yes, it's not built in. So what, it works. The TomTom is essentially unusable.

The navteq unit is not as bad as people make it out to be (not even close really). With the latest firmware updates, my unit is very stable and hasn't crashed since that update (V55.00.753). I drive to jobsites often and use the navigation to go from point to point regularly. Again, with the latest firmware, I've not had an issue finding what I was looking for. I also have stand alone Garimn devices, and they do have their place, but I prefer to use the in car navigation unless I'm going someplace where there are no "roads".

To answer the OP's question, I bought my car with the navigation already installed. From what I've read though, if you have a '16 CX-5 (different nav systems on the pre-'16's) then, yes, all you need to do is purchase the navigation SD card and insert it into the slot under the unit. I've seen reports of people purchasing them on Ebay or from the dealer. I can't recommend one or the other unfortunately.

Check out these threads:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123820484-CX5-Navigation-Option
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...g-a-navigation-SD-card-together-for-2016-CX-5
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123847693-2016-CX-5-Navigation-Questions
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123850807-Cheapest-route-to-a-nav-system

Last edited:
I'm a heavy Waze user, but since getting my 2016 GT last week, I've been messing with the built in Nav. It's not that bad for factory. I usually only by factory Nav for resale purposes, and don't actually use them. Waze is still better for its instant map and traffic updates. The 2016 factory one though has a really nice feature of always showing you the next cross street coming up, no matter if you have a destination set or which screen you are on. It's a great feature. My mother has a 2013 CX-9 GT and the Nav is just garbage in it.

As for where to purchase... Have you looked into the Mazda online parts and accessories stores? You shouldn't have to pay tax from them, they'll be cheaper than the dealer, and you know they'll be genuine since they are a Mazda parts retailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just picked up a 2016 CX-5 today and so far really enjoy it. It is the touring model and did not include the technology package. I want to confirm that even though I didn't get the tech package I can still purchase the SD card for the navigation and get the navigation on my car. Is that correct? I have the menu option there, but of course it does not work.

Now, if I can get the navigation for it, where would you all recommend I get it? I would prefer to get it online to avoid taxes, but I was unsure of what to get. Searching led me to eBay several times, but I wanted to ask you all that were more familiar and knowledgeable about this before I picked a certain one on eBay if that is where it is recommended to get it.

Another question, from my understanding I can get free map updates for a year. Is that correct?

I read that Nav owners get 2 free map updates each year for 3 years. The Nav manual for the 2016 CX-5 is at: https://www.mymazda.com/MusaWeb/pdf/manuals/2016_CX5_Navigation_Manual.pdf

Has anyone copied the sd card to a hard drive and made up another spare card?

I've done that with my present car. But will the 2016 car do the same.

When you put the SD into PC it will invite you to make a backup, and then you chose restore with a new SD in, works fine, the 2016 nav is on a 8 GB card and uses over 6GB. I like the new nav its Navtek except for entering a new address very long winded, it does not do full postcode !

@OP
decent enough system, although some have issues with some aspects of it
the Nav itself works fairly well IMO
Srad600's links provide more info

Has anyone copied the sd card to a hard drive and made up another spare card?
yes - easier to make a backup using mazda toolbox, then use the backup to restore to a new 8gb d card as ColinX-5 suggests - more discussion on diff methods in the posts linked above by Srad600

Thanks for all the info guys. That mazdaparts.org link that brillo54 provided is quite a bit cheaper than my dealer. The dealer wanted $436 including tax. Are there any videos of the navigation unit in action. I looked on youtube at reviews, but couldn't find one of someone actually using the navigation unit.

When you put the SD into PC it will invite you to make a backup, and then you chose restore with a new SD in, works fine, the 2016 nav is on a 8 GB card and uses over 6GB. I like the new nav its Navtek except for entering a new address very long winded, it does not do full postcode !

Thanks for the information, no full post code is really a step backwards though, first time I've read that, dam.

Thanks again.

@OP
decent enough system, although some have issues with some aspects of it
the Nav itself works fairly well IMO
Srad600's links provide more info

yes - easier to make a backup using mazda toolbox, then use the backup to restore to a new 8gb d card as ColinX-5 suggests - more discussion on diff methods in the posts linked above by Srad600

Back