Need: Power Driver's Seat Parts Schematic

Rarebreed

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 GT w/Tech Liquid Silver
I posted yesterday about my driver's seat lumbar support issue. The left side moves upwards, the right side does not. I was rear ended earlier this year, and the car has been in and out of the body shop for a while now. (Side note, the factory bumpers were malformed for some time.) I was driving the other day and heard a crack, and the right side lumbar support sunk in. The service department just called me and said
"Maybe it's always been like this, and it only moves on the side closest to the motor."
So I asked, "And the part that moves, was it inspected?"
He responded, "The motor? No, it's inside the seat."
Me, "Not the motor, you can hear that. What part does the motor drive?"
Tech, "Oh, I don't know."
Me, "So you didn't actually fix anything?"
Tech, "Look, if it's a part inside the seat, we're not opening it up to see it. I'd have to have my manager approve it."
Me, "Well that's the whole reason the car is in there today!"
Tech, "Well, the motor's working fine..."
Me, "Yes, I know that, I didn't bring it in with an issue with the motor on the lumbar support. Part of the actual support feels like it broke. I actually heard something crack before it sank in. Passengers in the car heard it as well. Something inside the seat broke, and I brought it in for THAT to be looked at."
Tech, "Well, like I said, it's ready for pick up."
Me, "Yes, I heard you say that, but you didn't actually inspect the problem, and you're telling me you didn't."
Tech, "I need to know the exact piece you think is broken."
Me, "Wait, I need to diagnose the problem?!"
Tech, "Yes, I need you to tell me what part is broken, so I can have my manager approve the work."

What's this s***?! Would someone here be able to help me find the parts diagram of the driver seat? I checked here (http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123825111-Full-Service-Manuals-PDF) already, but it shows wiring, not the internal workings of the seat.

Thanks in advanced.

UPDATE 12/16/2015
I picked up my car, and told them again what was going on. The tech opened the seat, so I could see the inner workings of the lumbar support. He sat in it, moved it up and down, and clearly the left side was moving about an inch or two more than the right side. He called his manager over, he did the same no less than three times, then said they'll ask the district manager what he thought could be done if anything. I feel like I should post a video of this because it may be unclear.

Last edited:
Call Mazda USA customer service and tell them about this. Many posters here have good resolutions when idiot dealers do things like this.

Seems like your mazda dealer techs received the same training my techs at my dealership did. What is so hard about looking at a service manual and diagnosing the problem? I'm envious of people who take a problem to a dealer and they right away say something like "oh, that's the first time I've seen that issue, we'll get it fixed right away. Give us a few days to order a new (seat, seat rails, headlight, what ever) and then bring the car back so we can install it". Your seat broke, they say well the motor works, I say my headlights seem low, they say they don't know if they can raise the headlights other then with washers as shims. I say my seat rocks, they say to bad another one we have does the same thing. I'm scared to even bring up the residue that looks like drips on the inside of my headlight. Others have gotten replacements I'll be told it's normal.

I think Mazda is having some issues with their service departments. I think I'm going to try a different dealer as soon my last free oil change is done in spring.

Good luck, I would contact Mazda customer relations and complain to them.

I posted every schematic for 2016 Mazda cx. ,(all variants ---- I'm sure it won't be different than the 2015. ALTHOUGH wire colors may be different. But all connectors should be identical.)

What Mazda dealer dd you go to? I scheduled an online appointment with the one in Concord for today, Saturday, and described the issue in the appointment request. When I got there, they read my request and then told me that it sounded like warranty work, which could only be done during the week, so now I have to go back on a week day. The person went so far as to say that I should've called in instead of making the appointment online.

What Mazda dealer dd you go to? I scheduled an online appointment with the one in Concord for today, Saturday, and described the issue in the appointment request. When I got there, they read my request and then told me that it sounded like warranty work, which could only be done during the week, so now I have to go back on a week day. The person went so far as to say that I should've called in instead of making the appointment online.

I went to Royal Automotive Group in San Francisco. Are you having the same issue?

I posted every schematic for 2016 Mazda cx. ,(all variants ---- I'm sure it won't be different than the 2015. ALTHOUGH wire colors may be different. But all connectors should be identical.)

Is this just wiring? I need to see the parts, too.

I went to Royal Automotive Group in San Francisco. Are you having the same issue?

I am. I went back Thursday. They had to check the motor and lumbar assembly, determined the motor was good, and ordered a new lumbar assembly. I'm going back Thursday to have it repaired. Because I'm under 36000 miles it's covered under warranty.

I am. I went back Thursday. They had to check the motor and lumbar assembly, determined the motor was good, and ordered a new lumbar assembly. I'm going back Thursday to have it repaired. Because I'm under 36000 miles it's covered under warranty.

Wow, who did you work with? I'm WAY under warranty (under 12,000), and they told me they'd have to contact the GM and get back to me. It's been two weeks, and I've yet to hear back from anyone there.

Wow, who did you work with? I'm WAY under warranty (under 12,000), and they told me they'd have to contact the GM and get back to me. It's been two weeks, and I've yet to hear back from anyone there.

I go to the Concord Mazda service department. I don't have any experience with other dealership service departments, but they seem pretty good.

I went back Thursday the 31st to have it repaired, and they got me a rental car for the day (a convertible mustang, must've been the last car the rental agency had available). I get a call a few hours later telling me they received the wrong assembly, they got the lumbar support for the passenger side of the car. The service guy said the CX-5 and CX-9 have the same power seats, but the CX-9 has them on both sides. They had already taken the seat out of the car, so I got to keep the rental until Tuesday. I went to pick up the car Tuesday, and it was fixed! They ended up replacing the entire lumbar assembly, and motor.

The problem: A clip failed. The lumbar support works by using a bent rod that rotates against a plastic plate in order to push the plate forward, or let it fall back into the seat. There is a clip that attaches the rod to the motor, and that broke, the snapping sound I heard when I was getting on the freeway.

I go to the Concord Mazda service department. I don't have any experience with other dealership service departments, but they seem pretty good.

I went back Thursday the 31st to have it repaired, and they got me a rental car for the day (a convertible mustang, must've been the last car the rental agency had available). I get a call a few hours later telling me they received the wrong assembly, they got the lumbar support for the passenger side of the car. The service guy said the CX-5 and CX-9 have the same power seats, but the CX-9 has them on both sides. They had already taken the seat out of the car, so I got to keep the rental until Tuesday. I went to pick up the car Tuesday, and it was fixed! They ended up replacing the entire lumbar assembly, and motor.

The problem: A clip failed. The lumbar support works by using a bent rod that rotates against a plastic plate in order to push the plate forward, or let it fall back into the seat. There is a clip that attaches the rod to the motor, and that broke, the snapping sound I heard when I was getting on the freeway.

Thank you! Was it the left or right side that was failing in your seat (or the whole thing)?

I'll see if that information helps the service guys across the bay at Putnam in Burlingame.

Last edited:
Thank you! Was it the left or right side that was failing in your seat (or the whole thing)?

I'll see if that information helps the service guys across the bay at Putnam in Burlingame.

Both sides were failing, the right side more so than the left. My dealership said they contacted Mazda Warranty to troubleshoot the problem and confirm it was covered under warranty, maybe Putnam in Burlingame can do the same?

Both sides were failing, the right side more so than the left. My dealership said they contacted Mazda Warranty to troubleshoot the problem and confirm it was covered under warranty, maybe Putnam in Burlingame can do the same?

My car is with Royal in SF today. They said they "think" they know how to fix the lumbar support issue. I guess I'll find out later today if it's been corrected. I'll update.

UPDATE: The lumbar support was not fixed. They changed some parts, and the lumbar support still moves unevenly. The left side of the support is moving forward significantly more than the right side. They said they looked at some other Mazdas, and all of them moved the same, skewed way. This can't be true, can it?

Last edited:
Back