Is there an EGR valve recall for free replacement???

sting88

I had rough idle a while back so cleaned my EGR (it was sticky) and that fixed it temporarily. Now the rough idle is back, so I'm just going to replacce it.

I went to the parts dept. at the Mazda dealer to buy a new one and he said that there's now a "recall" on the 2001-03 Protege EGR valves.

So, I went to service and the guy claimed to know nothing. He said to book an appointment and the mechanic will look at it, but if it's not the EGR or there's not a "recall", then I'll have to pay $100 for the diagnostic.

I'm pretty sure it's the EGR, but I have no idea if this "recall" is real. So, I could just buy the valve for $200 and install myself and be done with it, but if there is a "recall" and I can get it for free, I'd obviously want to do that... can anyone verify that a free fix is possible???

Also, I'm worried that I'll go in there and they'll claim something additional or different is wrong so I'll have to pay anyway, or pay for stuff I don't need... maybe I'm paranoid. Any tips appreciated.

Lance

Did you ask the service guy to talk to the parts guy? Go to a different dealer. There is some sort of TSB or something, not sure if all out recall. I haven't received any correspondence to that effect from Mazda. I am the original owner. I do think there is something going on because I've heard of a different part number superceding the old egr part number in some thread here on the forum. I myself have cleaned mine once but it wasn't acting up, I was just there when p&p ing my intake manifold & had it apart. Not sure even which one I may have. My prod date is June 03.

A revised EGR valve was released. I believe no P5 was originally equipped with the revised part. The guy probably meant revised when he said recalled. There is a TSB but no recall as far as I know.

If you're out of warranty the just buy the new part and install it. It's like 130 with a new gasket at onlinemazdaparts.com. Or, I'll sell you mine (brand new, never installed) for $100 shipped to US.

egr concern 2.0

this egr concern sucks and always will be a problem. as far as recall there isnt one, but theres an updated part. the difference is a heat shield added to the egr which really doesnt do much. its easy to replace the egr yourself on the 2.0 one connector and two bolts. but dont just replace it also clean the port hole on intake manifold, you wont see it but feel it with your finger after you remove the egr. use a clothes hanger and get the most of the gunk out possible , also use some carb cleaners and cigar pipe cleaner what ever works. the port hole for egr is shaped oddly adding to egr problems as it becomes clogged like an artery.

i think im just gonna pull my whole intake mani this winter and give it a good once over with carb cleaner and do some porting while im at it

here's my ten cents worth

uncouple the exhaust tubing to the egr a few inches from where it just exits the manifold/headers. Insert a dime. Reassemble. This does seem to solve the problems - not sure of the drawbacks? Yeah sure the NOx will be higher. I just mean in terms of other issues? Worked for me in a non-emissions tested area.

Last edited:
Back