2017~2021 CX-5 Sport mode questions

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR
I find that Sport Mode is only effective to use when driving on an open road in a spirited manner. In traffic, it struggles to shift at appropriate RPM's and just feels awkward to use.... Get it on a wide open twisty road and it can be kinda fun.

ColoradoDriver

Gen-1 Kodo Design
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
WOT from a stop felt much better in sport mode on the 2019 GT loaner I had, but I'd immediately take it right back out of Sport mode after that initial acceleration.

Thing was laggy as hell WOT out of sport mode from a stop.

Last edited:

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
Ditto 50/50 diff lock! I'm guessing it's best to not even touch sport mode until the engine is run in.

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
Ditto 50/50 diff lock! I'm guessing it's best to not even touch sport mode until the engine is run in.

My manual says this about break-in period:

- Do not race the engine.
- Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended periods of time.
- Avoid full-throttle starts.

Sport Mode will cause it to wind out excessively. It is not a comfortable experience, even in someone else's car. You want to wait until your 1,000 km is up.

The dealer I bought my car from had the car I wanted in a related out-of-state dealership, and would have had it driven over 300 miles for me to pick up. I ordered from the factory so I could break it in myself.

:
CX5 GT-R
My manual says this about break-in period:

- Do not race the engine.
- Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended periods of time.
- Avoid full-throttle starts.

Sport Mode will cause it to wind out excessively. It is not a comfortable experience, even in someone else's car. You want to wait until your 1,000 km is up.

The dealer I bought my car from had the car I wanted in a related out-of-state dealership, and would have had it driven over 300 miles for me to pick up. I ordered from the factory so I could break it in myself.

A good thought, but often cars get driven hard even in those few miles. Truth be told, I think the break-in procedure gets a lot more press than is necessary. For example, I broke my 370Z is "by the book", and it still had a grinding transmission, etc. I bought my first CX5 as a former rental, and it was a great car.

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
A good thought, but often cars get driven hard even in those few miles. Truth be told, I think the break-in procedure gets a lot more press than is necessary. For example, I broke my 370Z is "by the book", and it still had a grinding transmission, etc. I bought my first CX5 as a former rental, and it was a great car.

Yeh, I wonder the same thing myself.

How can one really tell if it makes a difference? I've driven lots of rental cars and never noticed anything "bad" about them.

My main thing was if I'm gonna pay for a new car, then I want a new car.

:
CX5 GT-R
Yeh, I wonder the same thing myself.

How can one really tell if it makes a difference? I've driven lots of rental cars and never noticed anything "bad" about them.

My main thing was if I'm gonna pay for a new car, then I want a new car.

Mine had 600ish mi on it when I took delivery. It does fine and I'm not stressed. My Z06 has <5mi on it. It had a cracked fender on delivery.

All that sport mode does is put excessive RPM's on your engine for no good reason. It was a cheap add on added to try and sell more cars.

CarpeDiem

Under Pressure
:
Superstitions
:
2021 Carbon T
0B9F11C1-8084-462D-8CBE-B51DD64F54C7.jpeg

:
Phoenix
:
2020 CX5 signature
It may be a gimmick, but it's hardly useless. If I'm on a 45 mile per hour road, and I put it in sport mode, it stays one or two gears lower which means I am already in a lower gear if I want to give it the beans to get around someone. That's especially useful with the turbo where it's already revving and spooling higher and ready to go with less lag.