Backup Camera Adjustment

rlallos

:
2016 CX-5 GT - No Tech
Did a search on how to adjust the backup camera on my '16 CX-5 GT, no joy (probably missed it).

Can it be adjusted and if so how? (uhm)

What do you need to adjust it for?(uhm)

When centered in a parking space, the image makes it appear that the passenger side is right on the line. Also, I'm not certain but I believe the image should show my rear bumper.

When centered in a parking space, the image makes it appear that the passenger side is right on the line. Also, I'm not certain but I believe the image should show my rear bumper.

That would be covered under warranty. Why not let the dealer fix it?

Mine does, makes it easy to backup to wall, or tall curb stop/obstacles very closely without hitting it.

+1. This is also stated in the Owners Manual.

EQAWUZM.jpg

I don't mind that the bumper shows - I like having a frame of reference. However, it irks me that part of the license plate is in the image.

Does anyone else have that?

I don't mind that the bumper shows - I like having a frame of reference. However, it irks me that part of the license plate is in the image.

Does anyone else have that?

That seems like an odd thing to be angry about.

Who said anything about being angry? I just stated that it irked me some. Other cars i've owned didn't show the plate in the camera so I thought it was a little odd when I first saw it.

Who said anything about being angry? I just stated that it irked me some. Other cars i've owned didn't show the plate in the camera so I thought it was a little odd when I first saw it.

I'll re-phrase slightly. That seems like an odd thing to be irritated or annoyed by.

For reference, mine also shows the bumper which I do like having. OP probably wanted to avoid the dealership due to the pain of scheduling, taking time off work, waiting around, etc. I get it. Maybe give them a call and see if they'll let you talk to a service tech directly. Some dealerships won't let you do that and want you to go through their service manager. If you get rejected, call another dealership. Hopefully you get something out of them.

For reference, mine also shows the bumper which I do like having. OP probably wanted to avoid the dealership due to the pain of scheduling, taking time off work, waiting around, etc. I get it. Maybe give them a call and see if they'll let you talk to a service tech directly. Some dealerships won't let you do that and want you to go through their service manager. If you get rejected, call another dealership. Hopefully you get something out of them.

I had the car in for service and asked about camera adjustment. Figured I would make another appointed (retired, not that busy). The SM said they never has a request for an adjustment. But another post said they see their plate, I don't. There has to be some way to adjust. I'll try again or go to another dealer.

Are you sure that the tailgate is completely closed? That would cause you not so see the bumper anymore...

But other than that, there is not an adjustment that I am aware of. The camera is fixed to the tailgate.

The SM said they never has a request for an adjustment. But another post said they see their plate, I don't. There has to be some way to adjust. I'll try again or go to another dealer.

If a service writer told me they had never been asked to do a particular procedure, I would simply tell them "I guess there has to be a first time for everything". If they still didn't want to do it, I would question their expertise and whether they have enough to call themselves a Mazda dealership.

On flat level ground, centered in a parking space, the lines on the camera should be roughly equidistant from each parking line. If not, have them fix it. It's not an exact science but it should look roughly centered.

I see both my bumper and a portion of my plate. Lower right of screen and a tiny area in extreme lower left. FYI: Distance between Red Line and edge of bumper: 20 inches.

Attachments

• Back Up Camera.jpg
    Back Up Camera.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 460
ditto, ours looks about the same, didn't measure it, was thinking closer to 15-18 inches (wink)
as long as i know the approx distance from bumper to red line, all good

wiggled the camera mount a bit, seems fairly well set in place

Last edited:
I see both my bumper and a portion of my plate. Lower right of screen and a tiny area in extreme lower left. FYI: Distance between Red Line and edge of bumper: 20 inches.
Same detail when here from my camera... I had assumed it to be normal, and don't mind the bumper showing since it allows me to back up extremely close in parking lots with concrete walls or other low obstacles, where with previously owned cars I would have to do the stop and creep, until I got 'close enough' , or tapped the wall.

Its a reversing camera, you shouldn't see any of the plate just the rim of the bumper.

With the Xtrail you could set up the guide lines to get an accurate picture, they was something in the manual detailing how to do it. It was tied in with the steering wheel position.
I cant see the Mazda being any different?

As for adjustment I looked but could find any, but mine has moved some how since new, it could just be something as simple as the door seal compressing?
Maybe ask the dealer if the hatch door can be tweaked.

I see both my bumper and a portion of my plate. Lower right of screen and a tiny area in extreme lower left. <snip>

Ours is the same way. I'd like to raise the camera slightly so the 'audio muted' message is above the horizon.

Back