Search results

1. S

Slightly rough idle after rebuild

I rebuilt my engine a few months back, and it now doesn't idle quite right. There is vibration, and the RPM needle fluctuates just a bit. It didn't do this before, and I also saw a slight drop in MPG since. Other than idle the car drives fine. Even kicking on the AC compressor fixes the...
  2. S

Whining noise after engine rebuild

I posted this in the Mazdaspeed forum already but there doesn't seem to be much activity there. I rebuilt my engine recently and now have a whining noise coming from the belts that I can't figure out. I've already done a lot of troubleshooting and it has stumped me for about a month now...
  3. S

Whining noise after engine rebuild

I just got my car running again after a rebuild. It runs great, just like it used to, except for a strange whining noise near the left side of the engine (belts area). I can hear it over the engine noise when driving, and it becomes more high pitched at higher RPMs. I took each accessory belt...
  4. S

Alignment Issue

I took my car in for an alignment and found the front-left tire was outside the adjustment range. I recently replaced all struts, strut mounts, and front control arms, and I'm wondering if I installed something incorrectly. On my rx7, the front strut mounts need to be installed facing a...
  5. S

Looking for 03.5 MSP Wheel

I've got a bent rim and am having trouble finding a replacement. I don't need a brand new, perfect wheel but I don't want one that's trashed either. It doesn't have to have the center cap. Thanks
  6. S

Replacing Catalytic Converter

My car has misfired one too many times due to bad coil packs or plugs over the years and the cat is clogged up, causing back-pressure. I don't know much about cats and have a couple questions. 1. Does the MSP have the same cats as a standard protege? Do the cats on rockauto look like they're...
  7. S

Misfire & messed up spark plugs

My car was driving fine this morning until I stopped after about 5 minutes and idled when it suddenly started misfiring heavily. The car barely stayed running. I pulled a p0300 random misfire code, and swapped in an older, used set of plugs and it ran fine again. I'm going to get a brand new...
  8. S

Spicy Orange Mazdaspeed Protege

NOTE: PM me for a link to more pictures. I didn't want to retake all my pictures with the forum sign. 2003 Spicy Orange Mazda Mazdaspeed Protege for sale. 136k miles. I purchased this as a non-running car one year ago and have replaced a large number of parts including the engine to make it a...
  9. S

Low vacuum at idle

I have been in the long process of getting an MSP running, and after an engine swap, new head, new rod bearings, and a whole lot else I have it running again. It runs and drives OK but the idle is a little low, and my vacuum at idle is only 15psi. All the vacuum hoses seem to be connected and...
  10. S

Options for replacing factory struts and springs

I'm at 146k miles on my original struts and springs, so it's time to replace them. I really like the factory setup and ride height so I'd like to stick with Tokico blues and the racing beat springs if I can. What are my options for purchasing these? I have heard the rear struts are a different...
  11. S

Warped exhaust manifold. Can it be fixed?

I took my exhaust manifold off and had it welded because it had cracked, but I realized it is not flat anymore. It's not even close. You can lay a straight edge across it and see a big gap on one end. I have stripped out two of the bolt holes going into the head now and I think this might be...
  12. S

Turbo is loosing oil. What are my replacement options?

I discovered today that my turbo is loosing oil which is forming a puddle in the air intake side. I'm looking for feedback on my replacement options without spending over $1000 if possible. I also want to buy something that will last another 10 years, so a new or lightly used turbo is what I'm...
  13. S

No start after engine swap

I am struggling to get this car started after swapping engines. This is the first time I have ever swapped an engine, so I am not sure how to troubleshoot the problem and I could have overlooked something simple. Background: A few months back I bought an MSP with a blown engine. I swapped in a...
  14. S

Problems with replacement engine

I recently bought an MSP with a supposedly blown engine so I could learn to do an engine swap. I know a good deal about these cars but I am not a mechanic and I am pushing the boundaries of my knowledge with this. I took the old engine out which recently had a new head put on, but supposedly 100...
  15. S

How to tell if I have an LSD?

This is probably a dumb question for many of you with experience, but I have never opened up a transmission before. Long story short, I recently bought an MSP with a blown engine and am replacing the block. The seller told me the transmission had been replaced a year or so ago, and didn't know...
  16. S

Losing Oil... don't know how

I just drove 800+ miles yesterday and this morning my oil pressure light came on. Looks like I am down at least a quart of oil, maybe 2. I have had problems losing oil for nearly two years, but I just did a bunch of maintenance that I thought would fix the problem. I was losing oil in this same...
  17. S

Where to get valve spring compressor?

I am getting ready to change the valve seals on my MSP but cannot figure out which valve spring compressor will work. I found other threads here with links to pictures and websites but they do not work anymore. Can someone point me in the right direction?
  18. S

Trying to track down suspension noise

Hey guys, I recently started hearing a popping noise from my suspension when I turn sharply or go over larger bumps (even slowly - like a speed bump). It sounds like it's coming from the front end but I can't be sure. It doesn't happen every time, but it's a very noticeable noise when it does...
  19. S

Faulty wheel bearing?

Last week on a trip I noticed s vibrating feeling and thumping noise coming from my front end. I drove a few hundred more miles home, jacked it up, and grabbed the top and bottom of my passenger tire and pushed it in and out. It had a significant amount of play (inches of movement). I bought a...
  20. S

Engine won't run after trying to fix misfire - Need Help

Two weeks ago my car (137,000 miles) very suddenly started to run rough and then the third cylinder started misfiring consistently, making the car barely drivable. I tried swapping coil packs, plugs, and wires but nothing changed. I then tried to swap the third and fourth fuel injectors to see...
Back