Faulty wheel bearing?

Schwamm

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege, 2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback, 1984 RX7 GSL-SE
Last week on a trip I noticed s vibrating feeling and thumping noise coming from my front end. I drove a few hundred more miles home, jacked it up, and grabbed the top and bottom of my passenger tire and pushed it in and out. It had a significant amount of play (inches of movement). I bought a replacement Timken wheel bearing and had it pressed in today.

The problem is still there! I have the spindle out of the car, and when I set it lug side down on the ground you can still feel a lot of play between the hub itself and the spindle. I can see the innermost shaft (the shaft attaching to the hub) moving a little inside the bearing. The wheel bearing itself seems snug in the spindle. Did I buy a faulty bearing? Can anything else cause this type of wobble, or was the bearing maybe installed incorrectly? I have to take it to a shop to have it pressed which will be another $45, and I have to go through the hassle of getting a replacement, so I want to make sure I am not overlooking anything. Any ideas?

By the way: the bearing I was replacing only had 18,000 miles on it, but it was a cheap part so I was not too surprised it failed.

I'm now being told the front hub itself and not the bearing is worn, by the shop pressing it in for me. I have not heard of that happening. Has anyone had that problem?

If the bearing is bad for long enough it can damage the hub, not that uncommon. I had a master pro wheel bearing on the rear that failed within 2 days, literally fell apart when I replaced it with an OEM.

Gotcha. I just hadn't heard of that happening. I'll pick it up tonight and find out for sure

Update: Thanks for the help, it was the wheel hub and it drives great now. This car has more problems with wheel bearings and hubs....

Last edited:
Back