Shift delay going from P to D on a 2016 GT

Still waiting for them to replace the tranny. It's has been sitting at the shop since 12/22 and they think it will be done this Wed or Thurs. So frustrating.

The holidays probably delayed the shipment of the new tranny to your dealer. My breakdown happened during Thanksgiving and it took a week for the repair. I was told the actual job takes 1-2 days. I suspect it's not too difficult of a job when done by an experienced tech. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add mine to the list. 3,400 miles and here comes the delay into first and slippage trying to downshift on the highway from 5th to 4th, then it gives up and goes back to 5th. It's as if it can't handle the extra torque. 2016 GT.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

How long was the shift delay going from P/R to D? My problem started with a slight delay and then it got progressively worse. After about two weeks I started seeing other major shifting problems. Just to be on the safe side you might want to bring the car to a dealer. Most likely they will give you a loaner car while the dealer diagnose the problem. Please keep us updated.

Add mine to the list. 3,400 miles and here comes the delay into first and slippage trying to downshift on the highway from 5th to 4th, then it gives up and goes back to 5th. It's as if it can't handle the extra torque. 2016 GT.
The third person in this community is having the similar problem on their 2016 CX-5! Luckily the symptoms are all showed up early around 3,000 miles. This seems Mazda has a batch of bad parts been put into the transmission. Hopefully Mazda can pinpoint the issues fast and make sure the problem is not widespread.

Amen to that! Our 2015 has been flawless (knocks on wood).

It developed overnight and just started when we were leaving for a 6 hour road trip. Thought maybe it was just a computer hiccup so turned off the car and started it again. Still had the issue. Had the GF look into it as we were driving and was not encouraged to find Reddit posts detailing the exact issue that resulted in a transmission replacement. From park to drive or from a complete brake to drive its 3-4 seconds. From reverse to drive its a little longer still. Had to turn off cruise control on the highway due to ineffective downshifts on hills. The drivers in Atlanta weren't pleased with me taking a second or two to get away from the lights. I learned how to keep it almost braked to keep it in gear or would try to anticipate light changes.

Its really discouraging. I can only hope that this is now commonplace enough that I won't have to jump through some ineffective partial repairs before the new transmission is authorized.

You'll be in good hands. The dealer should take it seriously as this is a safety related problem. One time I backed out of a parking stall that is on a slight incline. After I shifted from R to D and with my foot on the gas the car started to roll backwards in neutral! There was new Lexus behind me and the driver was horrified to see my car rolling towards his!

It would be interesting to compare the serial numbers of the defective tranny. I scanned my service ticket and posted it in an earlier post.

Got her into the dealership this morning. After a quick demonstration in the parking lot I waited for about a half hour while they hooked it up for a quick reading. New transmission was being authorized as I left with a loaner. So no hoops. Not pleased with needing such a major component this quickly but at least they're doing the right thing in getting it taken care of. I forgot to note the serial number but if it's listed on the paperwork I'll post it here.

Thanks for the update and good luck. It appears that there's definitely a problem with some transmissions.

Thanks for the update and good luck. It appears that there's definitely a problem with some transmissions.

That's true. I don't know of a single car model that you wouldn't have to say the exact same thing.

Fortunately for CX-5 owners, the numbers are very low.

I'm facing the same problem, I have Mazda 6 2016 and just completed 1500 KM then I find this problem ins transmission when shifting from R to D or from N to D there is delay in response about 5 sec or more.
Today I drop the car to the dealer and I will leave the car their for couple of days then let see what they will update me.

Same problem with my 2015 CX5, but I not sure do I want fix it. It seems no big deal, if I just shift it from R to D and foot off gas and wait for few sec then give gas. I notice it when I pull out from parking lot, so I start to change my driving behavior. I doubt my dealership will be happy to see me, they sell Jeep, Doge, Chrysler and Mazda, not sure how professional will they be about Mazda. Change a transmission is a big deal, what if the problem gets worst? Also, I can't really explain the problem. Sometime when the car is warm, the delay will not be there, sometime is will be there. I don't know what to do next, they don't supply loaner car, they are a small family dealership.

Same problem with my 2015 CX5, but I not sure do I want fix it. It seems no big deal, if I just shift it from R to D and foot off gas and wait for few sec then give gas. I notice it when I pull out from parking lot, so I start to change my driving behavior. I doubt my dealership will be happy to see me, they sell Jeep, Doge, Chrysler and Mazda, not sure how professional will they be about Mazda. Change a transmission is a big deal, what if the problem gets worst? Also, I can't really explain the problem. Sometime when the car is warm, the delay will not be there, sometime is will be there. I don't know what to do next, they don't supply loaner car, they are a small family dealership.

Your dealer would be happy to see you. They make money on warranty work.

Imagine if you don't fix it under warranty and the problem gets worse. Once your car is out of warranty you would be out of thousands of dollars.

Loaner car is paid by Mazda not the dealer. Mazda will need to approve it however for something this big Mazda will gladly pay for it. If your dealer can't get you one I would rent a car and ask Mazda for reimbursement.

Imagine if you don't fix it under warranty and the problem gets worse. Once your car is out of warranty you would be out of thousands of dollars.

Loaner car is paid by Mazda not the dealer. Mazda will need to approve it however for something this big Mazda will gladly pay for it. If your dealer can't get you one I would rent a car and ask Mazda for reimbursement.

If they don't have a loaner, the dealer should reimburse you for a rental. That's how its done here when they run out of loaners. Ultimately Mazda corporate pays for it all.

The main problem is sometime, it doesn't delay or jerk that much, it usually happened when car is cold not warm up. I afraid that when I drive to the dealership, and the problem is gone because the car is warm up, and I sure they will charge me $130 for inspection.

If they don't have a loaner, the dealer should reimburse you for a rental. That's how its done here when they run out of loaners. Ultimately Mazda corporate pays for it all.

Thanks, I think I know what I need to do next. I just not sure if they understand the problem.

The main problem is sometime, it doesn't delay or jerk that much, it usually happened when car is cold not warm up. I afraid that when I drive to the dealership, and the problem is gone because the car is warm up, and I sure they will charge me $130 for inspection.

The normal procedure for a problem that manifests itself only upon cold start-up is to drop it off the night before.

This is not rocket science.

The normal procedure for a problem that manifests itself only upon cold start-up is to drop it off the night before.

This is not rocket science.

They check the car and update PCM software and they told me the problem is fixed. I tested and the delay is gone, and when coming to stop the downshifting is not that noticeable now. I think maybe in 2015 model they fix the issue but still need software update or something. I will be going to dealership next week again to replace the bluetooth module. Thank you mike,pdlpsher,and craigo。

Back