Small Oil leak for me too... :-(

So, the block is actually 3 pieces- head, cylinder block, and lower cylinder block, with the timing chain cover connected to both bottom pieces. Yikes! I'm surprised this thing doesn't have more leak problems.

Last edited:
Ironic you asked that as I just got an email from them no more than 10 minutes ago.

I told them my dealer is currently working with me on this issue and will keep them apprised if things do not continue moving in a positive & productive direction toward resolution.

I am feeling encouraged. Hopefully not setting myself up for more disappointment.

This issue could end up being a new TSB.

They also stated: "I'd like to be able to partner with our senior technicians to further research this concern and be able to provide you with a permanent repair option."

I am pleased with corporate response so far. They want to be kept in the loop on this issue and also wanted to ensure I had a loaner car provided to me.

Ironic you asked that as I just got an email from them no more than 10 minutes ago.

I told them my dealer is currently working with me on this issue and will keep them apprised if things do not continue moving in a positive & productive direction toward resolution.

I am feeling encouraged. Hopefully not setting myself up for more disappointment.

This issue could end up being a new TSB.

They also stated: "I'd like to be able to partner with our senior technicians to further research this concern and be able to provide you with a permanent repair option."

Hopefully they'll put everything back together properly. Did you mention the other leaks? Glad they got back to you. "Research this concern and be able to provide you with a permanent repair option"- that statement kinda makes me scratch my head...

Hopefully they'll put everything back together properly. Did you mention the other leaks? Glad they got back to you. "Research this concern and be able to provide you with a permanent repair option"- that statement kinda makes me scratch my head...

I haven't yet on the other leak.

I am hoping too on them putting everything back together correctly... this has got to be some significant labor hours

The following bigger items that have to be removed:

- Air clean and hose
- Battery tray and PCM
- LH Splash shield
- Intermediate shaft from the steering gear and linkage
- Front tires
- Under covers
- Starter
- Front ABS sensor
- Tie rod end ball joints from steering knuckles
- front lower arms from the steering knuckles.
- front stabilizer control links from the front stabilizer.
- front drive shaft (LH) from the transaxle
- front drive shaft (RH) from the transaxle.
- front crossmember component and No.1 engine mount rubber as a single unit.
-windshield wiper arm and blade.
- cowl grille and panel

Maybe the front transfer as well?

Here is the removal/install of AT in CX_5

Last edited:
seeing the block is a split 2 part design (from the other forum thread) ..kind of makes sense to me now...technically both sides seem like weak spots. "front" and "rear"
Hopefully your issues will be resolved once and for all.

I'm curious if they are going to find the rear main seal actually is fine on mine too but it is the same failure as poster on Mazda3revolution. Dealer won't know until they tear into it.

https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2359026-post8.html

back2mazda-albums-leak+location-picture53738-cut-away.jpg

back2mazda-albums-leak+location-picture53746-exploded.jpg

So, the block is actually 3 pieces- head, cylinder block, and lower cylinder block, with the timing chain cover connected to both bottom pieces. Yikes! I'm surprised this thing doesn't have more leak problems.
Definitely its a surprise to me too that Mazda splits cylinder block into 2 pieces. And its definitely a challenge to make sure leaks wont be developed in the long run. IMO thiss another example that Mazda is trying too hard to be different from others. Some are good but some are bad.

If this does end up being the rear main seal over the other possibility listed above I will definitely be a unicorn on this repair. I really don't see anyone else out there with replacement rear main seal being needed on a SkyActiv motor. I have seen posts about it on pre-SkyActiv motors.

If this does end up being the rear main seal over the other possibility listed above I will definitely be a unicorn on this repair. I really don't see anyone else out there with replacement rear main seal being needed on a SkyActiv motor. I have seen posts about it on pre-SkyActiv motors.

Not too many people are out there removing the bottom plastic covers to do a thorough inspection. Looking at the split block, I can't see how it's NOT more of a problem, especially when Mazda has problems with something as simple like a timing chain cover. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. But my 2014 CX5 had 72k miles on it with no leaks, and my stepdaughter's 2014 CX5 had 86k miles on it with no leaks. Hate this hit or miss stuff.

Last edited:
I've seen one on the russian forums where it was the seal. But probably isolated..to be honest not many reports on that particular issue or most people don't roam the forums here.

slight offtopic,
First ecoboosts biturbo Fords were leaking bad from the oil pan. For few years it was big issue. Unfortunately it happens..just hoping its not a new trend given how engines are assembled past few years. Back in the days it was very rare with the real gaskets unless defective or old.

[madar]
True... I imagine most won't pull them off

Looking back at my personal service history records I started to notice on mine in the 15-20K mile range.

[cz5gt]
Good find on Russian forums. I've spent many hours there with GX finds but I don't know Russian so translated pages are often difficult to sift through.

Got my car today. Very happy with my dealer. They were quick and updated me regularly. They even gave me loaner 6' which had the 2.5T engine which was nice. 0

Its the same repair as mentioned in the tsb posted some pages back for the timing chain cover leak.
Oil pan sealant is new as well.
head cover gasket, front /crankshaft pulley gasket and inlet cam timing gasket seem new as well as part of the tsb and the invoice. all under warranty.

So far so good :)

I got my car back today as well.

IMG_0141.jpg
So it WAS the rear crankshaft bearing seal instead of transmission input shaft bearing seal leaking. It seems pretty obvious from your original pictures and I wonder why your Mazda dealer refused to do anything on it at the first time. And what is the 80W-90 gear oil about? At least they use Mazda Moly oil and your transmission is untouched.

Also completed alignment???

Hope your small oil leak finally gets resolved once for all!

They are saying it was the crankshaft bearing seal. Fingers crossed this one is behind me but gonna keep a very watchful eye on this one as well as the timing cover. I haven't had a chance to closely look at engine since I got it back today. I think they had to drop the front transfer... they must have drained that as well. Glad to see they used the moly oil as I had just changed the oil with Med Center moly. Possible suspension pieces removed requiring alignment... not sure though. I was told this was a 7 hour job.

Last edited:
They are saying it was the crackshaft bearing seal. Fingers crossed this one is behind me but gonna keep a very watchful eye on this one as well as the timing cover. I haven't had a chance to closely look at engine since I got it back today. I think they had to drop the front transfer... they must have drained that as well. Glad to see they used the moly oil as I had just changed the oil with Med Center moly. Possible suspension pieces removed requiring alignment... not sure though. I was told this was a 7 hour job.

Good thing you had it addressed and didn't ignore it as some one else suggested. It could've been a catastrophic leak down the road out of warranty.

Sae 80W-90 R Diff Oil - Mazda (0000-77-80W9-QT)

25. Disconnect the tie-rod end ball joints from the steering knuckles..

26. Disconnect the front lower arms from the steering knuckles..

27. Disconnect the front stabilizer control links from the front stabilizer..

they seem to have done it by the book.
Great job.

yes, those leaks and especially if under warranty (decently new car) definetely have to be fixed. not as suggested to leave them.

I'm definitely glad I got it fixed. This last time was the worst it had ever been so it was definitely headed in direction of getting worse.

Looked a little closer today....

* Told corporate I need a couple weeks to check things over before I close case

* I had to top off the coolant since it was well below the L level... they obviously lost some and didn't top off

* Cleaned up the residue that looked like a timing cover leak again. I'll play... cleaned off with brake cleaner. Lets see if fresh oil shows up. I'm man enough to own being wrong if that isn't the case.

* Notice they probably put in more oil than needed as oil level is slightly above top fill mark. Might need to drain some out.

If I have time will drop bottom cover tomorrow and see what things looks like. I certainly hope things are cleaned up after the repair.

Back