Mazda Appoints New CEO, Prioritises USA - Wonder If Any Immediate Impact On CX-5

Really? How bad is it Xeler8?

Speed cameras, red-light speed cameras & mobile speed cameras everywhere. Most urban speed limits either 50km/h [31.06mph] or 60km/h [37.28mph] and in some places like city/suburb/town centres 40km/h [24.85mph) (also around schools during morning and afternoon pick up times). Maximum highway speed 110km/h [68.35mph]

Some other roads & highway speed limts range from 70km/h [43.5mph] to 100km/h [62.0mph]

Last edited:
Speed cameras, red-light speed cameras & mobile speed cameras everywhere. Most urban speed limits either 50km/h [31.06mph] or 60km/h [37.28mph] and in some places like city/suburb/town centres 40km/h [24.85mph) (also around schools during morning and afternoon pick up times). Maximum highway speed 110km/h [68.35mph]

Some other roads & highway speed limts range from 70km/h [43.5mph] to 100km/h [62.0mph]
Your speed limits are about the same as in other Asian countries. You should be able to get a speed camera radar detector like I've seen in every Asian countries to fight those, although it can only warn you, and you still can't drive faster than speed limit too often if speed cameras are everywhere.

Your speed limits are about the same as in other Asian countries. You should be able to get a speed camera radar detector like I've seen in every Asian countries to fight those, although it can only warn you, and you still can't drive faster than speed limit too often if speed cameras are everywhere.

Radar detectors are illegal here.

So I can only go by what MZD Connect Navigation warnings tells me and those are only for fixed speed cameras, red-light speed cameras. Nothing for mobile speed camera's except what I see on the road.

Last edited:
Radar detectors are illegal here.

So I can only go by what MZD Connect Navigation warnings tells me and those are only for fixed speed cameras, red-light speed cameras. Nothing for mobile speed camera's except what I see on the road.

I wasn’t aware Australia was a Asian country? New geography?

I guess it kinda makes sense geographically......
Yeah technically Australia belongs to Oceania, but its so close to Asian countries, like Indonesia is just at northwest of it. Australia definitely has very close ties to many Asian countries.

But that’s not quite how it works with turbo engines designed for minimal lag. To make it peak higher it will need a larger turbo. That will equal more lag. It’s competing priorities.

VW has used a combination of a super charger for low speed and a turbo for higher speeds to try to get both. Can be done but would be a lot more complicated and expensive.

But anyway I doubt they will invest much more on powertrains outside of the X.
They've done twin turbos before; even their SkyActiv-D engine is twin turbo if I'm not mistaken. Even if they stay with a single turbo, they still have the dynamic pressure feature built into their exhaust manifold. They can get a bigger turbo in there, tune the flap in the exhaust manifold to feed the turbo as quickly as possible. Really depends on how much they want to spend on it or how much resources they want to devote to it. With SkyActiv-X coming soon, chances are they won't bother. Those VW engines on the GTI/Golf R/Audis are truly impressive.

Sounds like if I was living there, I would be fine driving a Mazda with the NA 2.5 engine.

They've done twin turbos before; even their SkyActiv-D engine is twin turbo if I'm not mistaken. Even if they stay with a single turbo, they still have the dynamic pressure feature built into their exhaust manifold. They can get a bigger turbo in there, tune the flap in the exhaust manifold to feed the turbo as quickly as possible. Really depends on how much they want to spend on it or how much resources they want to devote to it. With SkyActiv-X coming soon, chances are they won't bother. Those VW engines on the GTI/Golf R/Audis are truly impressive.

Sounds like if I was living there, I would be fine driving a Mazda with the NA 2.5 engine.

I sometimes thing their senior management head space as far as how much power they should have is based on their home market speed limits. If you guys remember when the CX-5 launched in the US the only engine was the 2.0 Skyactiv G with about 150 HP.

Regarding VW EA888 agreed. With the 3rd gen in my GTI I think it’s a regular turbo but I know they have variable intake runners and exhaust valve lift. Also has water cooled exhaust lowering temps going into the turbo. A side benefit is it provides heat in winter VERY quickly. It’s definitely more refined power delivery vs the Ecoboost in my ST. Also stage one software tunes pump it up to like 270 ish hp.

Also VW probably has a massive R&D budget compared to Mazda and this is easily their most important engine.

They don't base engine size on Japanese speed limits. The 2.0 may not be "fast" but it's still quite capable of hitting American speed limits. Just like my wife's Plymouth Breeze when I met her. 110hp. It could get up to 80... eventually.

They don't base engine size on Japanese speed limits. The 2.0 may not be "fast" but it's still quite capable of hitting American speed limits. Just like my wife's Plymouth Breeze when I met her. 110hp. It could get up to 80... eventually.
Asian auto makers may not design the engine based on speed limit, but most of them based on tax, the bigger the displacement, the higher the tax. Car owners would pay higher initial sales tax and annual registration fee (which are much higher than in the US) on 2.5L than a 2.0L.

My old faithful 1998 Honda CR-V 2.0L has only 126 hp but has no problem to get to the 80 mph. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah I think even the Miata in Japan is a 1.5L vs the 2.0L here and everywhere else.

Correct. SkyActiv D is a two-stage twin turbocharger with variable turbine geometry

2.5 NA is fine but still would be good to get 2.5T for extra bottom end power for take offs etc

Back