US Diesel's big splash introduction

Not a problem for me as previously stated Mazda Australia communicate pretty well. They spoke about evaluating the CX-4 & CX-8 publicly and the CX-8 is now coming

My point is the issue lies with the specific country's HQ - case in point Mazda NO.

There should be a mantra from Japan that all local Mazda HQ's communicate as best as they can

You're sure spending a lot of time complaining about something isn't a problem for you.

What makes you assume that Mazda is not communicating as best they can?

There can be many valid reasons that they are not telling you what you want to know, some of which Puyapim and I have pointed out previously. There may also be not so good reasons, but reasons nevertheless. Complaining about Mazda's failure to satisfy your curiosity here will not change that.

I suspect Mazda is doing the best they can in this respect. Why on earth would they do otherwise?

People whine when Mazda says something that doesn't happen, or doesn't happen in the predicted time frame. People also whine when Mazda doesn't say anything.

You can't have it both ways.

Of course, you can't stop people from complaining, either, justified or not.

You're sure spending a lot of time complaining about something isn't a problem for you.

Doesn't mean I still can't have my say.

What makes you assume that Mazda is not communicating as best they can?

By all the people here not to mention reviewers on-line saying they are not getting any meaningful information about the diesel coming to the USA/Canada. If they communicated better, you wouldn't see this matter raised as much.

There can be many valid reasons that they are not telling you what you want to know, some of which Puyapim and I have pointed out previously. There may also be not so good reasons, but reasons nevertheless. Complaining about Mazda's failure to satisfy your curiosity here will not change that.

It is a forum you know where people can complain, have opinions etc. I too have stated pretty much the same reasons before that is could be regulatory issues, could be technical issues. But dangling the carrot of something coming and then saying nothing is not right.

I suspect Mazda is doing the best they can in this respect. Why on earth would they do otherwise?

People whine when Mazda says something that doesn't happen, or doesn't happen in the predicted time frame. People also whine when Mazda doesn't say anything.

You can't have it both ways.

Of course, you can't stop people from complaining, either, justified or not.

Maybe I expect too much for an organisation to have the decency to talk to the consumer. Maybe I am old fashioned and putting too much into customer centrick/first/service ethos. Maybe now a days it is best to live in the dark.

They "maybe" doing their best but even reviewers have issue with them not stating much only "it is coming" It's been coming for quite a while now.

Have a look at Mazda NO previous attempt in getting the diesel there for the Mazda 6. Failed. From what I have read, their communication was pretty lacking then as well.

When an organisation is not doing it's best, we should be allowed to say as much.

I like Mazda's as much as the next person but they need to do the right thing by consumers otherwise they won't have that may consumers to buy their products. Just like other organisations who all need to do the right thing by consumers. Includes communication too.

Last edited:
The only reason I think they should make a statement is because they promised at launch they would introduce a diesel before the end of last year. In some cases, owners have held back from buying one on the strength of that and they deserve to know. The other risk is that it gives the impression they are struggling and opens up the opportunity to speculate which is how damaging rumours emerge. I think a word to say it will be in or its looking unlikely or whatever would do no harm whatsoever.

Bingo Anchorman. Just communicate, something a bit more definitive. That's all.

Last edited:
Well said that man.

Doesn't mean I still can't have my say.

By all the people here not to mention reviewers on-line saying they are not getting any meaningful information about the diesel coming to the USA/Canada. If they communicated better, you wouldn't see this matter raised as much.

It is a forum you know where people can complain, have opinions etc. I too have stated pretty much the same reasons before that is could be regulatory issues, could be technical issues. But dangling the carrot of something coming and then saying nothing is not right.

Maybe I expect too much for an organisation to have the decency to talk to the consumer. Maybe I am old fashioned and putting too much into customer centrick/first/service ethos. Maybe now a days it is best to live in the dark.

They "maybe" doing their best but even reviewers have issue with them not stating much only "it is coming" It's been coming for quite a while now.

Have a look at Mazda NO previous attempt in getting the diesel there for the Mazda 6. Failed. From what I have read, their communication was pretty lacking then as well.

When an organisation is not doing it's best, we should be allowed to say as much.

I like Mazda's as much as the next person but they need to do the right thing by consumers otherwise they won't have that may consumers to buy their products. Just like other organisations who all need to do the right thing by consumers. Includes communication too.

I guess I just don't expect that much from any large multinational corporation. I figure Mazda really are doing "the best they can", even if not meeting many peoples expectations. You don't. OK. Of course you can express your opinions. Just don't expect everyone to agree with you. I'm afraid we both suffer from needing the last word; not a good trait.

Odd, I'm defending a company that I've had no contact with before 6 months ago. Not something I would ever expect to do. Must be the warm glow I'm still getting from the car. I don't have historical disappointments with them.

It seems like you're pretty happy with Mazda, too, but were basing your objections on others' complaints. The contradiction was puzzling, but now you've explained it.

I guess this boils down to a personality thing. I'm just not into complaining. Seems counter productive. Speculation, either. That makes me the odd man out. (stooges) So be it.

I spend a fair amount of time shooting. I have a lot of friends in the firearms industry. Time and time again, i see two kinds of companies. One kind will announce something awesome...that they think they can do by such and such date...and ive even done T&E with some companies like this. Inevitably timelines stretch due to suppliers, que, materials , process refinements, and often the ultimate product will either significantly vary from the long overdue promised items or it won't emerge at all.

The second kind of company is silent. They don't do teasers on their Facebook page. They perfect an end product behind closed doors. Then, 2 weeks before drop, they post YouTube, Facebook, and display it at a show like the NRA, or SHOT, and when asked "but when can we buy it!?" They calmly say "orders will ship to dealers next week, thanks for your interest." All of the beta testing is done. Manufacturing complications are worked out. Product has been produced after careful market analysis and is available very soon, and not sold out in the first 12 hour online spree.

Mazda is like the first company, and many people walk away from them in disgust, no matter how innovative they think they might can maybe in 18 months be....Because screw that.

One person sees it as complaining, another sees it as opinion/commentary/suggestions/expectations etc.

I don't expect everyone to agree all the time. That is the nature of forums. Each person says what they think in a good, decent way which we are doing by the way.

Each to their own.

Last edited:
I’m very fond of the Mazda product and I think they have done remarkably well since the breakaway from Ford. I’m actually more interested in the Hybrid with the Toyota powertrain as diesels are here but increasingly unpopular. However, for the avoidance of any doubt, I’ll simplify how I would have like to have seen diesel in the US done;

1. Don’t say anything until the launch can be announced formally with a definite introduction date.

2. Say it with enough confidence that it will definitely be available at a given introduction date.

3. Give the information with the intended date but if it can’t be met, just let your customer base know how it has been delayed or the reason why the policy has changed (can’t justify it due to overseas pressure against diesel, can’t meet it due to changes in US legislation, technical issues etc) and then you can do two things. 1 or 2 above.

I agree with Xeler8ing and Anchorman. Don't announce a model if you're not ready to bring it to market.

Mazda publicly announced the 2017 diesel model and said it would be coming in the second half of 2017, and then late 2017. They still have it on their website, but it is now a "future vehicle" rather than "coming soon" and there is no longer any time frame or model year associated with it.

I'm a little bitter about the whole thing because I wasted money last year to keep an old car on the road until "late 2017". And then I drove a totaled car around for a month trying to get an answer from Mazda that I could plan around. You can call me a fool for waiting on a non-existent product, but the fact is they announced a 2017 model with a time frame and then reneged on it.

At this point, people should be doubting whether it's coming at all. It's starting to smell like the whole Android Auto/CarPlay thing where they said it was coming and would be retrofitable. They changed their mind, but remain intentionally ambiguous about it. So the rumors keep circulating, and it gives some dealers and buyers a (probably false) hope of a retrofit.

I agree with Xeler8ing and Anchorman. Don't announce a model if you're not ready to bring it to market.

Mazda publicly announced the 2017 diesel model and said it would be coming in the second half of 2017, and then late 2017. They still have it on their website, but it is now a "future vehicle" rather than "coming soon" and there is no longer any time frame or model year associated with it.

I'm a little bitter about the whole thing because I wasted money last year to keep an old car on the road until "late 2017". And then I drove a totaled car around for a month trying to get an answer from Mazda that I could plan around. You can call me a fool for waiting on a non-existent product, but the fact is they announced a 2017 model with a time frame and then reneged on it.

At this point, people should be doubting whether it's coming at all. It's starting to smell like the whole Android Auto/CarPlay thing where they said it was coming and would be retrofitable. They changed their mind, but remain intentionally ambiguous about it. So the rumors keep circulating, and it gives some dealers and buyers a (probably false) hope of a retrofit.

When my dealers starts pushing me on the Mazda 6 Signature, I joke back with him that it will available about the same time as the CX-5 diesel with CarPlay.

I feel really, really bad about you. To be frank - I would have also done the same if (for example) really wanted a particular model/version and if manufacturer already committed to do the release.This reminds me of so many of my friends who had even put down a down payment for Tesla S and had to wait so long to get one!
Some may say - you're stupid to rely but frankly there's absolutely nothing wrong to stick around with a car which you are believing you'll be replacing very, very soon. It's simply put an extremely bad marketing thing by Mazda and if it was me - I would have actually walked away from the brand : permanently.

In reality - I believe their regional offices are a mess. From what I see - they are heavily dis-connected with what consumers want/what's available globally against a trim and I believe there's either too much autonomy to regional heads or most probably a complete lack-off with JP calling all the shots.

This integration with Android / Apple Play is no more a joke. Its something I strongly want because of my need to travel in heavily congested areas and already I opted for a different 2nd. car because Mazda is unable to provide it / give a timeline / give ANYTHING. I have a feeling - this whole Diesel thing is the same - just a bunch of BS from Mazda US / N.A.

Hold on a bit, I don’t think Mazda are in complete disarray and they’ve already said when they will update 5he media system. It’s only this particular US diesel issue that bothers me.

This is where I'm at. A week ago, the inside driver door handle came off in my hand in my 19 year old Acura. Fortunately, unlike GM, it was $20 and 10 minutes to put in a new one. But I've been ready to pull the trigger on the diesel for a year now. If they'd said it was flat canceled, I'd probably be driving a 2017 CX-5. I've contemplated buying another brand, but getting older and mellower, I'm learning not to bite off my nose to spite my face. If the gas is still the 2nd best fit for me, I'll probably still get it, and resent the hell out of Mazda.

are we there yet?

MyRL-n4ZNxoB6hAG7s9Jxr4HS_o=.gif

(wink)

Hold on a bit, I don’t think Mazda are in complete disarray and they’ve already said when they will update 5he media system. It’s only this particular US diesel issue that bothers me.

They aren't in complete disarray, just certain aspects/local command posts aka ACA/AA and Mazda NO operations.

Latest posts

Back