Pre-Purchase questions?

:
2020 CX5 GT Res
Hi! I'm taking my spouse back to see/test drive a 2017 CX-5 AWD Premium that I tested yesterday & really liked. I'm not sure where to post questions & wonder if there is a thread for those so I don't hijack the purpose of the forum which seems to be for after purchase? (I read for 4 hours last nite to try to get an idea of what I need to look out for/check out but had to quit as my eyes got blurry)
Right now, here's what I need to find more on:

1. Do the front airbags cover the body? I'd like proof if so via diagram. The dealership doesn't have a brochure & this info isn't covered on Mazda's online site. (all other brands mention it when knees are covered so I assumed no knee coverage) When I asked salesman, he acted very surprised that I would ask such a questions & when I pushed he said airbags drop down & cover entire front of body. Is this true? He also said same for passenger? The crash ratings aren't out yet on the 2017 & I saw that the 2016 passenger only got a 3 & when I mentioned that, he asked "which testing place, as depends on who does the test and they all differ"? That confused me even more. I almost feel like I'm getting the run-around. With all the safety out there now, why can't the passenger also get 5 star coverage & what is lacking that caused the 3 IF my salesman is correct about both driver & passenger having same airbag coverage?

2. Is the MMS remote start (smart phone generated) truly to be avoided as per salesman who said "the technology isn't there yet"? He said to do aftermarket remote install with dealership but when asked about having a different key or fob, he said "it's the same", whatever that means. (if there will be 2 FOBs, he neglected to mention this.) I don't like surprises so trying to get info up front.

3. We dont' have a garage & I really like the white color so wondering if anyone else without a garage bought white & how often must you wash it to keep it looking good? We've only had silver for past several cars as it's very forgiving but I'm a bit tired of silver. The CX5 in white is stunning. (I won't go dark as dark blue in the past looked dirty all the time. Just wondering about white as a salesman decades ago suggested white doesn't really show dirt as much as people think it does)

4. Does anyone have a lower back that begins to ache after 20 mins of driving in just about any car? The car I'm replacing has always been excellent on my back but lately, I'm having issues even in that car ( I've never been able to drive/ride as passenger in hubby's '09 Infiniti G37x as kills my back) Just wondering if anyone with minor back issues get achy in the CX5 on longer drives?

Sorry if this is not the place to be asking questions before purchase! (after looking at too many cars, this is 2nd one I'm truly excited about. The first was GM & I just can't go back there, and their AWD lacks enough HP to move onto hiway...(can't get rid of "never GM again" that keeps popping up in my head so finally crossed off list which had nothing else on it until finding the Mazda yesterday! Tks for your input!

Maybe take a lumbar pillow with you during the test drive to see if helps (uhm)

Hi! I'm taking my spouse back to see/test drive a 2017 CX-5 AWD Premium that I tested yesterday & really liked. I'm not sure where to post questions & wonder if there is a thread for those so I don't hijack the purpose of the forum which seems to be for after purchase? (I read for 4 hours last nite to try to get an idea of what I need to look out for/check out but had to quit as my eyes got blurry)

1. Do the front airbags cover the body? I'd like proof if so via diagram. The dealership doesn't have a brochure & this info isn't covered on Mazda's online site. (all other brands mention it when knees are covered so I assumed no knee coverage) When I asked salesman, he acted very surprised that I would ask such a questions & when I pushed he said airbags drop down & cover entire front of body. Is this true? He also said same for passenger? The crash ratings aren't out yet on the 2017 & I saw that the 2016 passenger only got a 3 & when I mentioned that, he asked "which testing place, as depends on who does the test and they all differ"? That confused me even more. I almost feel like I'm getting the run-around. With all the safety out there now, why can't the passenger also get 5 star coverage & what is lacking that caused the 3 IF my salesman is correct about both driver & passenger having same airbag coverage?

2. Is the MMS remote start (smart phone generated) truly to be avoided as per salesman who said "the technology isn't there yet"? He said to do aftermarket remote install with dealership but when asked about having a different key or fob, he said "it's the same", whatever that means. (if there will be 2 FOBs, he neglected to mention this.) I don't like surprises so trying to get info up front.

3. We dont' have a garage & I really like the white color so wondering if anyone else without a garage bought white & how often must you wash it to keep it looking good? We've only had silver for past several cars as it's very forgiving but I'm a bit tired of silver. The CX5 in white is stunning. (I won't go dark as dark blue in the past looked dirty all the time. Just wondering about white as a salesman decades ago suggested white doesn't really show dirt as much as people think it does)

4. Does anyone have a lower back that begins to ache after 20 mins of driving in just about any car? The car I'm replacing has always been excellent on my back but lately, I'm having issues even in that car ( I've never been able to drive/ride as passenger in hubby's '09 Infiniti G37x as kills my back) Just wondering if anyone with minor back issues get achy in the CX5 on longer drives?

Sorry if this is not the place to be asking questions before purchase! (after looking at too many cars, this is 2nd one I'm truly excited about. The first was GM & I just can't go back there, and their AWD lacks enough HP to move onto hiway...(can't get rid of "never GM again" that keeps popping up in my head so finally crossed off list which had nothing else on it until finding the Mazda yesterday! Tks for your input!

1. I don't think the CX-5 has leg coverage. If you go to this site (http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings) you can see the pictures of various cars with the airbags deployed. The CX-5 clearly does not have leg coverage.

2. Not sure about the remote start. I have the old fashion remote start that was a second key that attached to the key fob. You use this to start the car. I don't know about the phone app but the old system was easy to work with. I have seen second hand systems that are much simpler than the Mazda version.

3. Can't tell you as I have silver! I will say avoid the blues, as our Mazda 3 in blue shows dirt very easily.

4. No back issues in my 2014 Cx-5. The adjustable lumber support helps. I have long legs and feel the seat is not long enough but feel that way about all car seats really.

I have the 2017 Eternal blue (darker blue) CX-5 and it shows dirt like crazy. I wash it weekly (outdoor, in oregon, tons of sap). The brand new white CRV in the same lot loses it shine quickly, but doesn't show dirt as much as my car.

I used to get back pain in my old car. CX-5 with the lumbar support option hasn't given me any pain yet. I have not taken it on a serious drive though, ~45 minutes has been the longest one so far.

1: don't know for sure ..

2: as I stated in the other thread, the technology is there for MMS... It just takes about a minute or less to log in, push start, enter pin.

3: white and silver are probably the colors that show dirt the least... I'd say Machine Gray would be next...my previous 6 was Meteor Gray and it stayed dirty rarely often cause I park outside the garage as well, and it didn't look as dirty as say, black vehicles.

4: I do have lower back issues, and so far I havent had any issues in the cx5. I have the adjustable lumbar all the way up. I think what also helps is the height of the vehicle in general...my previous 6 was kinda low and my back would bother me getting in and out.

Mazda has two factory remote start systems. MMS (Mazda Mobile Start) uses your smart phone and requires installation of a module hidden inside the dash and two antennas ("stickers with wires" kind of like a defroster) in the top right corner of the windshield. There's a thread on here somewhere that has pictures of that. I don't have any experience with MMS. RES (Remote engine start) uses a second fob and requires the installation of a module and antenna hidden inside the dash. I have that one and the range seems to be about 200 yards with clear line of sight. With both systems, the engine will shut off when you open the door, and you have to restart it. Also, I think both only work if all the doors and windows are closed and doors are locked. One advantage the Mazda systems have over third-party systems is that they will automatically turn on the rear window defroster if the outside temperature is cold enough, or you can force the defroster to turn on.

FWIW, I have a garage and I have a white CX-5. It does get rather dirty in the winter. And even when you go through a touchless car wash, there is a film of grayishness that really only comes off with a hand wash. But when it's clean, it's really sharp looking!

tks to all who answered! I'm good now! No white & will get dealer-installed remote start and carry 2 fobs! Just need to decide on color but looking like silver which I'm so tired of but works when you don't have a garage so might as well stick with that..

tks to all who answered! I'm good now! No white & will get dealer-installed remote start and carry 2 fobs! Just need to decide on color but looking like silver which I'm so tired of but works when you don't have a garage so might as well stick with that..

Verify with the dealer what kind of system they are installing? There use to be two systems available, but I believe the 17s only option is MMS. So looks like you will be skipping on that. Smart choice! But I have been researching aftermarket remote start systems extensively and there are many different kinds of aftermarket. Levels ranging from 1-5, one way vs two way, etc. Check to see what they will be installing. If its defintitely going to be aftermarket, I recommend 2 way systems. That's what I will be going with. This sends a signal back to the key fob, alerting you that the vehicle did in fact get the command to start up. Makes carrying an extra fob worth it.

Hey Lynn. Fellow granny here. :) I bought the eternal blue and love it, but my car is always garaged. I wouldn't worry too much about the car getting dirty just sitting in your driveway, unless you are under trees. In that case, sap and bird poop are gonna get anything dirty. It's usually WHERE you drive it and WHEN that gets the car dirty. Just pick something you will be happy with for the long haul, because you will love this car and keep it for a long time!

⋯ Right now, here's what I need to find more on:
1. Actually the "official" NHTSA safety ratings found on the window sticker has been out since June this year. Mazda may haven't had time to update its window sticker so you couldn't see it. For 2017 CX-5 the front crash rating on passenger side has been improved from 3 to 5 stars. But the side crash ratings for front passenger and rear seats passengers are downgraded hence the overall safety rating is still the same as 2016 CX-5 at 4 stars.

NHTSA Safety Ratings on 2017 Mazda CX-5

However, CX-5 has been doing well in IIHS crash test and the 2017 CX-5 has been rated as Top Safety Pick+.

And no, both front airbags cover face and chest only, not the full body. Toyota RAV4 offers additional knee airbag for driver to protect the knee.

2. Read comments made by jhu8 above about remote start. It's unfortunate that Mazda doesn't offer a factory remote start function build-in to the key fob like Honda CR-V. MMS is slow to get in with an annual fee. Although I'm not a fan of aftermarket accessary but with limited options I totally agree with jhu8 of getting a 2-way system without shutting down the engine when you open the driver door and needing to restart the engine again!

3. Unlike silver, white exterior doesn't hide the dirt much better than dark colors. Don't get misguided by the salesman.

4. I have low back issue and the lumbar support on CX-5 is mediocre at best comparing to all other vehicles we currently have. The adjustment range is simply not high enough and that's why there're members here doing the mod on lumbar support to raise the height. I wish the lumbar support adjustment can also be 4-way like my BMW 528i and now also been offered in Honda CR-V. Last time we took a long drive to Houston and I felt the seat is not comfortable after an hour. So be sure to take a longer test drive and make sure you have no issues as each person is built differently and the feeling to seat comfort is also different.

Hey Lynn. Fellow granny here. :) I bought the eternal blue and love it, but my car is always garaged. I wouldn't worry too much about the car getting dirty just sitting in your driveway, unless you are under trees. In that case, sap and bird poop are gonna get anything dirty. It's usually WHERE you drive it and WHEN that gets the car dirty. Just pick something you will be happy with for the long haul, because you will love this car and keep it for a long time!
Tks Iwannacx5! We bought a silver 2017 CX5 GT Premium & I really like it. Coming from a small sedan, it's a bit large but I'll get used to it! We actually leased this time as so unsure about it at first, but at least I can trade it in for another color in 3 years! Does sound like a keeper! -Lynn

1. Actually the "official" NHTSA safety ratings found on the window sticker has been out since June this year. Mazda may haven't had time to update its window sticker so you couldn't see it. For 2017 CX-5 the front crash rating on passenger side has been improved from 3 to 5 stars. But the side crash ratings for front passenger and rear seats passengers are downgraded hence the overall safety rating is still the same as 2016 CX-5 at 4 stars.

NHTSA Safety Ratings on 2017 Mazda CX-5

However, CX-5 has been doing well in IIHS crash test and the 2017 CX-5 has been rated as Top Safety Pick+.

And no, both front airbags cover face and chest only, not the full body. Toyota RAV4 offers additional knee airbag for driver to protect the knee.

2. Read comments made by jhu8 above about remote start. It's unfortunate that Mazda doesn't offer a factory remote start function build-in to the key fob like Honda CR-V. MMS is slow to get in with an annual fee. Although I'm not a fan of aftermarket accessary but with limited options I totally agree with jhu8 of getting a 2-way system without shutting down the engine when you open the driver door and needing to restart the engine again!

3. Unlike silver, white exterior doesn't hide the dirt much better than dark colors. Don't get misguided by the salesman.

4. I have low back issue and the lumbar support on CX-5 is mediocre at best comparing to all other vehicles we currently have. The adjustment range is simply not high enough and that's why there're members here doing the mod on lumbar support to raise the height. I wish the lumbar support adjustment can also be 4-way like my BMW 528i and now also been offered in Honda CR-V. Last time we took a long drive to Houston and I felt the seat is not comfortable after an hour. So be sure to take a longer test drive and make sure you have no issues as each person is built differently and the feeling to seat comfort is also different.

Tks so much! We leased a 2017 Silver CX5 Premium on Sat! Never leased before; always pd cash but it seems the thing to do if unsure about anything, especially my lousy back! (I did find a stretchy band brace & used it today for short drive to dealership 20 mins away & seemed to help a bit!).

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the new crash ratings - good news too!

REMOTE STARTER FYI: You won't believe this! When I took the car in today to get the "factory Mazda-badged" remote starter, I asked exactly what we were getting & they described it & then showed me the 2 remote options. One IS what they call a "factory" aftermarket install remote that fits into the original key fob!!! I was so excited as the other option was a very old-school-looking flat, square remote with a metal telescoping antennae. Everyone laughed when they saw it & all agreed they would never go for it even though it's the new remote starter they offer. All of us scratched our heads!. I'll try to post a photo.. Thankfully those who laughed at it with me were all Mazda people because when they told me my car was ready 3 1/2 hours later, I was handed the "old-fashioned" remote! They installed the wrong one!!! Royal screw up so car is going back Thurs to uninstall/reinstall proper one. There is a major disconnect between the advance people in their service dept & the actual techs who are located in a Honda dealership across the street & down a block. Not good. They were amazed how I kept my cool. We'll see how amazed they are when this is finally settled as I'm hoping they toss in an OEM cargo cover or cargo mat for losing 2 days to their error..Not holding breath tho.

Last edited:
One IS what they call a "factory" aftermarket install remote that fits into the original key fob!!! I was so excited as the other option was a very old-school-looking flat, square remote with a metal telescoping antennae. Everyone laughed when they saw it & all agreed they would never go for it even though it's the new remote starter they offer. All of us scratched our heads!. I'll try to post a photo..
Congrats for a new silver CX-5 and we have a Sonic Silver too. Do you mind to post some pictures of your current "old-fashioned" remote start? I believe the one to fit into your original key fob is not from Mazda but from a third-party remote start manufacture. Make sure to ask who is the manufacture for us.

Back