AWD system is kinda crappy...

A diff lock would be helpful here. I agree with others that the CX-5 is no rock crawler.

Thanks OP and everyone for chiming in. Every car has its design goal and limitation, it's good to see and hear evidence from both angles to gauge the CX-5 capability and limits. This will save me from getting into troubles from under/overestimating future situations.

This may not amount to anything in similar situation but try turning on the wipers.... it's already been fairly proven that this forces AWD in from stop situation more readily. Not saying you should have to do this but in in OP's situation I would have also tried this in addition to slight braking.

I wasn't aware of that its worth trying thanks.

I have driven the cx-5 in 4" of snow on tarmac, and was very pleased with it.

Actually I had my car up on jacks, and pushing gas made the engine do some wacky things with the AWD. At one point the car was actually adding power when I pushed the brake to stop the wheels (it wouldn't let me), then it was acting like it was gonna stall out (shuttered super bad) so I had to shut the engine off. This is when I was doing testing when people were arguing about the rear wheels being driven all the time.

I'd pretty much expect wonky behavior with all 4 wheels off the ground. :) I had a challenge with an old set of Rhino ramps on the rear axle while putting vehicle up on 4 ramps changing diff fluids. One of the rear ramps had lost its rubber footing and I kept getting AWD kicking in as one of the rear ramps got pushed out. I remembered that parking brake deactivates AWD so just clicked on one notch and that was all I needed to get up on all 4 ramps. I bought a new set of ramps after that though.

If a vehicle does not have a "low range" selectable, chances are, it was never meant to leave the road, is the conclusion I've come to.

That Outlander certainly didn't have a low range selector. And it did awesome. I was impressed immediately. And the Outlander is certainly no rock crawler either, as it is lower to the ground with larger overhangs. I'm in no way saying the CX-5 should be a rock crawler, I'm saying an AWD system this "advanced" should be able to have the basic sense that two wheels with more traction than others, should have the power. Thats AWD 101. I can't believe Subaru, Mitsu and Audi/VW are pretty much the only ones with stellar AWD.

Even if it's not a rock crawler, AWD means that you are able to take it on less than stellar roads. Mazda claims so. After reading the i-Activ Brochure, the AWD system only transmits power front to back and not side to side. I know VW/Audi, Suabru and Mitsu do front to back AND side to side, so that instantly a dead giveaway on why it wasn't able to move past the twist ditch. It's good to know how capable these cars are, just in case you need to try it. Jut because it's not meant to be a rock crawler, doesn't mean it's more than capable to be one. The Outlander proved that to be true, and the CX-5 couldn't. Oh well, it's much better suited on the road.

In one of the Dave Coleman videos I am pretty sure he mentioned it will transfer power but is done at a slower rate. I'll try to replicate your condition on "flat ground" with two wheels in air sometime this summer. Like I said I was in similar situation going up hill and had no problem with traction.

Even if it's not a rock crawler, AWD means that you are able to take it on less than stellar roads. Mazda claims so. After reading the i-Activ Brochure, the AWD system only transmits power front to back and not side to side. I know VW/Audi, Suabru and Mitsu do front to back AND side to side, so that instantly a dead giveaway on why it wasn't able to move past the twist ditch. It's good to know how capable these cars are, just in case you need to try it. Jut because it's not meant to be a rock crawler, doesn't mean it's more than capable to be one. The Outlander proved that to be true, and the CX-5 couldn't. Oh well, it's much better suited on the road.
In regards to the side to side statement, what do you mean?

Agreed, turning on the wipers makes the AWD engage better, and if I read correctly, the OP said he had it at about 50 % throttle and nothing.... I've seen reports that agree with that statement,,,, the cure was to use light throttle and the AWD will function better.
IE: when in a 2 wheel in the air situation, ease off the throttle and apply lightly,,, like no more than 10-20%. Proven by the video posted!

I had problems getting off some car ramps. Damn terrible FWD system I thought to myself....until I noticed I forgot to remove the wheel chokes behind the rear wheels.

In regards to the side to side statement, what do you mean?

Alright, so pretty much it means that the car can lock the center differential(equal torque split to back and front wheels when the situation calls for it), but it cannot transfer power from left to right side upon demand. So it will simply be an open differential concept of the torque going to the wheels with the least resistance(the ones in the air). If that makes sense. From what I can tell by other posters the open diff concept is true, but the cars ABS system may interfere to stop the wheels in the air from hogging the power, to getting the wheels with traction to get the torque. But they're still open diffs. I'll see if I can try with our 2014 CX-5 since the AWD system is the same, just badged from Smart AWD to iActiv AWD. One of the technicians at the dealer even showed me the Mazda released AWD info for 2013-2016 CX-5's and all AWD systems perform the same.

I know that Outlander has an LSD in the rear and open diff in the front. On the SAWC it has LSD's on the front and back

Curious about the Mitsu's SAWC, I checked it out. It does pretty well.

Here's another, it struggled but it made it over.

And I just wanted to add this to share

Last edited:
Curious about the Mitsu's SAWC, I checked it out. It does pretty well.

Here's another, it struggled but it made it over.

Doesn't look any better than the CX-5 Kedis posted earlier..

Here's an outlander without the smart AWD (likely the same system that OP thinks is better than the CX-5's)
It cannot make it up the incline without a running start.

He tried it with the TC on and off, we tried everything, even leaving the pedal at around 50% down for about 1 straight minute to see if it took time for the AWD system to figure things out....it didn't. I remember he had a 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander,(even without their new SAWC system) AWC on the same trail and it did awesome on the twist ditch, the AWD system immediately figured out exactly which wheels had grip and within 3 seconds, we were moving forward. The CX-5 could not handle it. So why is it depicted as being so smart, when it can't even do one basic thing, that is pretty common sense?

The thing is.. a little tiny bit of momentum and line choice can make a huge difference in how a diagonal situation turns out.
Check out this Subaru forester dealing with a similar situation. He couldn't get through until he tried a slightly different approach angle.
Your friend in the Outlander simply choose a better line through the rut and made it seem effortless.. but really it sounds like he just got unlucky in the CX-5.

In other news, I was able to drift after leaving a car wash. At least 120* left and then as I straightened out the dsc kicked in but it was pretty cool while it lasted.

The thing is.. a little tiny bit of momentum and line choice can make a huge difference in how a diagonal situation turns out.
Check out this Subaru forester dealing with a similar situation. He couldn't get through until he tried a slightly different approach angle.
Your friend in the Outlander simply choose a better line through the rut and made it seem effortless.. but really it sounds like he just got unlucky in the CX-5.
Makes sense.

Back