HELP, will remove roof rails reduce the wind noise when driving on highway?

hek8560

:
Mazda,CX-5,2015,TOURING
I have this OEM roof rails come with the 2015 touring CX 5. The reason I want to remove it because I can't stand how bad the wind noise it is when I driving on highway speed around 65 mph. It is crazy, even my 2000 Lexus RX 300 is little quieter than this car. I think maybe the wind noise because the roof rails or something else? The car is quieter when driving in local road like 40 mph, but it is so noise when it hits the highway. Usually I turn my audio level between 20-23, for the highway I have to turn it up to 25. It is a very great car, smooth acceleration, handling, but the sound insulation is little unacceptable for me. I don't know what to do now. I have added Dynamat to all my doors, wheel upper area, and some around the engine bay, it seems work a little for the usual road noise but it does not do anything for the wind noise. Maybe change all the glasses in the CX-5 will fix it?

Do you have crossbars installed? If so either remove them or move them toward the back.

Don't ruin the handling of your car with dynamat's added weight! Yes, the CX5 does have wind noise, regardless (mine has no roof rack), but this is because Mazda builds them for the bleeding edge of responsive handling. This means no stone un-turned with an eye to weight reduction...and that includes excess sound-deadening fluff. That's why we bought CX5's. Speed. Handling. Feel. ZoomZoom!

Don't ruin the handling of your car with dynamat's added weight! Yes, the CX5 does have wind noise, regardless (mine has no roof rack), but this is because Mazda builds them for the bleeding edge of responsive handling. This means no stone un-turned with an eye to weight reduction...and that includes excess sound-deadening fluff. That's why we bought CX5's. Speed. Handling. Feel. ZoomZoom!

Well said. He finally gets it. Congratulations. Welcome to the club. Zoom Zoom

My 2016 is very quiet doing 65-70 or above. Very little wind noise. I have roof rails and crossbars, but only install the crossbars when in use. As for buying mine for speed, not so much. Comfort and handling yes, but speed. Sorry, it's just not that fast. I think Mazda could have used a bit more sound material myself.

jjp

My 2016 is very quiet doing 65-70 or above. Very little wind noise. I have roof rails and crossbars, but only install the crossbars when in use. As for buying mine for speed, not so much. Comfort and handling yes, but speed. Sorry, it's just not that fast. I think Mazda could have used a bit more sound material myself.

jjp

You're wrong. It's practically a race-car with a license plate! ZOOM ZOOM!

I have this OEM roof rails come with the 2015 touring CX 5. The reason I want to remove it because I can't stand how bad the wind noise it is when I driving on highway speed around 65 mph. It is crazy, even my 2000 Lexus RX 300 is little quieter than this car. I think maybe the wind noise because the roof rails or something else? The car is quieter when driving in local road like 40 mph, but it is so noise when it hits the highway. Usually I turn my audio level between 20-23, for the highway I have to turn it up to 25. It is a very great car, smooth acceleration, handling, but the sound insulation is little unacceptable for me. I don't know what to do now. I have added Dynamat to all my doors, wheel upper area, and some around the engine bay, it seems work a little for the usual road noise but it does not do anything for the wind noise. Maybe change all the glasses in the CX-5 will fix it?

I think the real question here is: did the Dynomat improve the stock sound system's bass response?

Comparing to a Lexus RX is not realistic because those vehicles are meant to isolate you from the road feel and noise. Whereas the Mazda is tuned for handling performance and road feel.

1. The Audio level goes up to 64, so you have a ways to go... (naughty)

2. The 2013-2015 models were produced with less sound deadening than the upgraded 2016+ models have.

3. The tires CAN make a lot of noise. I would check your tire pressures, and perhaps do a CROSS-ROTATE at next tire rotation. Feathered tires can make a lot of noise at highway speeds.

To remove the roof rails properly you just have to buy the new Mazda OEM replacement rubber gutter trims that are UNCUT. I believe the price for each of the new parts were $25 for a total of $50 if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
So is the consensus that the roof rails make more noise? I ask because mine doesn't have them but I would like to put them on

I think the real question here is: did the Dynomat improve the stock sound system's bass response?

Debatable, I'm sure. What's not, is that it raised the center of gravity and totally ruined the epee-like reflexes that the ferret on crack which is the race-bred, track-tuned time-attack machine that the CX-5 is.

So is the consensus that the roof rails make more noise? I ask because mine doesn't have them but I would like to put them on

I don't think there is much of a consensus.
Very few drivers have added or removed the OEM roof rails and any noise they make likely gets drowned out anyway. You should meet up with OP and do some studies.

The OEM crossbars make a slight low pitch whistling sound if they are not moved all the way to the back of the rails. I can hear it at ~35MPH. It is a very minor sound and it can be completely eliminated by moving them to the back of the car as shown in the instructions.

It does help your audio system a little bit, my window vabration gone after installed them. And the bass is amazing!

Last edited:
I avoid anything that makes turbulence outside the passenger compartment. Better mpg on trips and less wind noise. The worst place to have turbulence is near the top edge of the windshield/roof area because that's where the air is moving the fastest relative to the body.

This is not specific to the CX-5.

I added roof rails myself. I can't say I can hear any difference in noise nor fuel economy. I do leave the cross-bars in the garage.

Comparing wind noise to Lexus, of all vehicles, which is perhaps the brand with the best NVH performance, does not make much sense. Compare it to CRV / RAV4 etc.

I have driven in 2015 RAV4, RX330, Tesla Model S, Honda Accord (6th gen), Toyota Tacoma (2nd gen) and a 2011 Versa with aftermarket roof rack. I can conclude that the CX-5 definitely does have a bit more road noise transmitted into the cabin than most cars I have owned or driven for a certain amount of time. I personally don't mind it. But yea, it's going to a little bit noisy regardless.

I have driven in 2015 RAV4, RX330, Tesla Model S, Honda Accord (6th gen), Toyota Tacoma (2nd gen) and a 2011 Versa with aftermarket roof rack. I can conclude that the CX-5 definitely does have a bit more road noise transmitted into the cabin than most cars I have owned or driven for a certain amount of time. I personally don't mind it. But yea, it's going to a little bit noisy regardless.

Agreed. The only vehicle I've owned that was worse was my Z06. It was just a tiny bit more track oriented than my CX-5

I have them on mine and have them slid as far rearward as possible and don't notice any additional wind noise.

Z06 and CX-5. 2 cars with low drag. Coincidence?

My 370Z had pretty low wind noise, and was "slipperier" than either of them. The Z06, too. It was all tire noise. Very little insulation of the body, and tires over a foot wide out back can be loud...

My brick of a Jeep Grand Cherokee was also pretty quiet. I think the worst for wind-noise I ever owned was my 2001 Trans Am WS6. Probably due to the T-tops and all that entailed.

My 370Z had pretty low wind noise, and was "slipperier" than either of them. The Z06, too. It was all tire noise. Very little insulation of the body, and tires over a foot wide out back can be loud...

My brick of a Jeep Grand Cherokee was also pretty quiet. I think the worst for wind-noise I ever owned was my 2001 Trans Am WS6. Probably due to the T-tops and all that entailed.
My 1981 VW Vanagon Westfalia Camper was the worst I ever had. Rated at .51 cd for drag, plus mine had a roof rack and mud guards. (bang)

My fondest memory of the wind resistance was having to crank the steering wheel 90 degrees to the left while fighting a crosswind going across the Golden Gate Bridge.

Back