CX-5 In the Wind?????

Panther

Zoomer not a Boomer
Contributor
:
2016 MAZDA CX-5 GT AWD with TECH PKG / i-ActivSense
Howdy All,

Just curious how the CX-5 does in the Wind?

We live in Texas and sometimes it's brutal on
the roads. I currently have an F150, and it
even get's blown around pretty good.

So, I was wondering how the CX-5 handles
driving into the wind and side winds with
it being up off the ground moreso than other SUV's.

Appreciate the Info, Take Care,

CK

I don't think it is effected any more or less than other similar vehicles in this class. In fact I think mine is very stable. The interior wind and road noise is high though so if you plan on using this vehicle for long highway commutes and that sort of thing bothers you than I recommend you get something else.

I don't think it is effected any more or less than other similar vehicles in this class. In fact I think mine is very stable. The interior wind and road noise is high though so if you plan on using this vehicle for long highway commutes and that sort of thing bothers you than I recommend you get something else.

Howdy V8,

Thanks for the reply and your Thoughts, my Wonderful Wife has
a 2010 3 with the 2.5, so I know what you're talking about on
road noise. Also, around here they've repaved all the road with
large road base because of all the large trucks rolling over them
so sometimes it's deafening, even in my Truck.

This will be my Retirement Vehicle, used for our long awaited Road Trips,
and daily driver around here.

Thanks again, Take Care,

CK

CX-5 handles
driving into the wind and side winds with
it being up off the ground moreso than other SUV's.
Actually, most crossovers have about the same ground clearance as a CX-5 (about 8-8.5"). It's just that Mazda has this maddening habit of sculpting their wheel well lines up higher than many others (the did the same thing on the current generation Miata!) which exposes the suspension bits and causes people like me to put lowering springs on them.

Actually, most crossovers have about the same ground clearance as a CX-5 (about 8-8.5"). It's just that Mazda has this maddening habit of sculpting their wheel well lines up higher than many others (the did the same thing on the current generation Miata!) which exposes the suspension bits and causes people like me to put lowering springs on them.

Howdy Paris1,

Thanks for the reply and info, I'd thought that the CRV was in the 6.5 avg range.
In the old days, I'd probably have done the same thing, now in this stage of my
life, I'll leave things like that alone !!!

Take Care,

CK

Howdy Paris1,

Thanks for the reply and info, I'd thought that the CRV was in the 6.5 avg range.
In the old days, I'd probably have done the same thing, now in this stage of my
life, I'll leave things like that alone !!!

Take Care,

CK
Actually, I'm in "that stage of life" too, but to my eye the CX-5 looked so ridiculous in its natural "jacked-up" state that after putting up with it for a year I just had to do something about it. Never had to resort to this kind of thing in 50 years of driving, until now! For me, crossovers are a HUGE compromise, but I can only afford one vehicle at a time. I mostly rely on driving my wife's Miata (on weekends) to get my adrenaline rush. BTW: I agree with what most others here are saying about CX-5 in crosswinds. They are rather slab-sided and so are susceptable to getting blown around a bit, but certainly no worse (and probably better) than your pickup.

Last edited:
Actually, I'm in "that stage of life" too, but to my eye the CX-5 looked so ridiculous in its natural "jacked-up" state that after putting up with it for a year I just had to do something about it. Never had to resort to this kind of thing in 50 years of driving, until now! For me, crossovers are a HUGE compromise, but I can only afford one vehicle at a time. I mostly rely on driving my wife's Miata (on weekends) to get my adrenaline rush. BTW: I agree with what most others here are saying about CX-5 in crosswinds. They are rather slab-sided and so are susceptable to getting blown around a bit, but certainly no worse (and probably better) than your pickup.

Howdy Paris!,

Thanks for the follow up, had to smile, I had a 73MGB as a daily driver
for 15 yrs when I was young. I think that's why my back bothers me
so much now, but at the time I was young and supple and could slide
right in, I'm 6'2" so that was kind of a feat. I tried a couple of years
ago to "slide" into a Miata, thought that I might like a convertible again,
thought I was going to have to get a crane to get back out, not really,
but don't think I could do it anymore.

Thanks so much for the info and reply,

Take Care,

CK

I've got to say my CX-5 on 19" wheels does seem to move about a bit in wind, more so than my heavier Xtrail did, its a lot nosier too.
It doesn't like motorways either when it comes to fuel saving, its more fuel efficient on A and B roads.

Its not a problem for me though as my mileage is predominantly off the motorway, in the UK.

I live in a very windy area (N. NV), heck, it is blowing hard now! The highway is often closed to trucks, once saw a bedroom door from a construction site FLY over the hood on my VW!
Driving it in the wind is not bad. The car is aerodynamic and the suspension firmness helps too. My '98 CRV (had the aerodynamics of a parachute and mushy suspension) was a nightmare when wind speeds were above 70mph.
The problem is the damage to the car. We have had our cx5 for three weeks and it has 1100 miles on it. ALready, the windshield is pitted up and it is getting pocked up faster than the windsheilds on are other cars. Ever little grain of sand that hits will mark it, pit it.
I took it in for a full clear bra a few days after I got it and I already saw some marks on the bumper cover. Prior to bringing it in, I drove from OR with no traffic, no wind, drove along the coast (clean air, 55mph) drove in the mountains, what I am saying is that the conditions for paint/glass damage were not there, yet I got them.
So, be prepared to have a pitted out windshield and get a clear bra installed asap.

I've got to say my CX-5 on 19" wheels does seem to move about a bit in wind, more so than my heavier Xtrail did, its a lot nosier too.
It doesn't like motorways either when it comes to fuel saving, its more fuel efficient on A and B roads. Its not a problem for me though as my mileage is predominantly off the motorway, in the UK.
That's certainly a characteristic of gas hybrids, but is that true with diesels too?

Our CX5 is only a couple weeks old, so not a lot of driving yet. But did have a couple hwy trips with strong winds, (of course never at our back), and it handled just fine. There is a little extra wind noise in the crosswind, but nothing to get alarmed about.
Today the winds are at 30mph, directly on the drivers side and it was fine. Of course you can feel it on the steering wheel, but never really thought about it.
We test drove other brands when we were shopping, and scratched a couple off the list cause they were too noisy on a nice day.
So far the new CX5 has been great. Still under 1000 kms but thrown all kinds of stuff at her. Driven in, higher winds, rain, sleet, snow, ice, and handled everthing just fine. Got to love Alberta.

That's certainly a characteristic of gas hybrids, but is that true with diesels too?

Not normally, but its defiantly true of the CX-5 diesel, other UK owners report the same, very strange.

It doesn't like motorways either when it comes to fuel saving, its more fuel efficient on A and B roads.

Its not a problem for me though as my mileage is predominantly off the motorway, in the UK.

Howdy Xtrailman,

Thanks for the reply and info, appreciate it !!!

Take Care,

CK

Our CX5 is only a couple weeks old, so not a lot of driving yet. But did have a couple hwy trips with strong winds, (of course never at our back), and it handled just fine. There is a little extra wind noise in the crosswind, but nothing to get alarmed about.
Today the winds are at 30mph, directly on the drivers side and it was fine. Of course you can feel it on the steering wheel, but never really thought about it.
We test drove other brands when we were shopping, and scratched a couple off the list cause they were too noisy on a nice day.
So far the new CX5 has been great. Still under 1000 kms but thrown all kinds of stuff at her. Driven in, higher winds, rain, sleet, snow, ice, and handled everthing just fine. Got to love Alberta.

Howdy Sekmor,

Thanks very much for all the information, really helps a lot. I'd say being in all the things you've
been through sounds like the CX-5 handled it, and did well.

Ahhhh, Alberta, our Oldest Grand-Daughter lives in Banff !!! One of our Favorite parts of the World.

Thanks again, Take Care,

CK

I live in a very windy area (N. NV), heck, it is blowing hard now! The highway is often closed to trucks, once saw a bedroom door from a construction site FLY over the hood on my VW!
Driving it in the wind is not bad. The car is aerodynamic and the suspension firmness helps too. My '98 CRV (had the aerodynamics of a parachute and mushy suspension) was a nightmare when wind speeds were above 70mph.
The problem is the damage to the car. We have had our cx5 for three weeks and it has 1100 miles on it. ALready, the windshield is pitted up and it is getting pocked up faster than the windsheilds on are other cars. Ever little grain of sand that hits will mark it, pit it.
I took it in for a full clear bra a few days after I got it and I already saw some marks on the bumper cover. Prior to bringing it in, I drove from OR with no traffic, no wind, drove along the coast (clean air, 55mph) drove in the mountains, what I am saying is that the conditions for paint/glass damage were not there, yet I got them.
So, be prepared to have a pitted out windshield and get a clear bra installed asap.

Howdy Katman,

Thanks very much, I wasn't familiar with the Clear Bra product, did some reading up
and sounds like a very, very wise move. Especially if the CX-5 is getting damaged on it
that fast.

Appreciate you telling me about the Clear Bra, sounds like a good way to protect
your investment.

Take Care,

CK

Panther, if you want to stick with the brand and gas mileage isn't a deal breaker than you may want to consider the Mazda CX9. My wife's parents have a 2012 and they absolutely love it. I took a trip with the CX9 to Florida from Massachusetts last year and I can confidently say its a considerably more comfortable vehicle than the CX5 for long distance driving. It also has that great planted feel that Mazda is so good at. I would have suggested the Mazda 6 but I suspect that may be too low to the ground for you based on your comments about the Miata and 73 MGB.

You may also. Want to check out the Nissan Rogue and the Toyota RAV 4 for small SUV's and the Hyundai Santa Fe for slightly more upscale SUV. All of these vehicles are rated highly by CR and are reliable.

Panther, if you want to stick with the brand and gas mileage isn't a deal breaker than you may want to consider the Mazda CX9. My wife's parents have a 2012 and they absolutely love it. I took a trip with the CX9 to Florida from Massachusetts last year and I can confidently say its a considerably more comfortable vehicle than the CX5 for long distance driving. It also has that great planted feel that Mazda is so good at. I would have suggested the Mazda 6 but I suspect that may be too low to the ground for you based on your comments about the Miata and 73 MGB.

You may also. Want to check out the Nissan Rogue and the Toyota RAV 4 for small SUV's and the Hyundai Santa Fe for slightly more upscale

SUV. All of these vehicles are rated highly by CR and are reliable.

Howdy V8,

Thanks for additional info, and suggestions, I'd thought long and hard about the CX-9 but it's a little too big, and
costly for me !!!

The CX-5 seems to be the best of all the others put together, and like everything else
there's no one that checks off all the boxes, except for ones with a much higher pricetag
than I have to spend.

Thanks again, appreciate the help and info, Take Care,

CK

I would say that without question, on the highway and in the wind, the CX-5 is a louder car than the Honda CR-V (newest generation). For some reason, the wind noise in this car can be extreme. At first, I did not notice it but it is noticeable.

On a side note, the Mazda (yes the CX-5) reminds me more of my old MG than any other car I have ever had. It has a fun feel to it and a natural steering that is very enjoyable. It has some oddities as well that are, well for no better word, very british...

My experience with CX-5 after 2 years+ is crosswind sensitivity is a bit more than other SUVs owned and driven including Explorer(s), Liberty, Cherokee, GC, H3, RR, Suburban, Highlander, Rav4, ML, and GLK.

I would not recommend the CX-5 (or any other lightweight crossover) if comfort of travel in strong winds (cross or headwinds) is a big concern.

It really takes concentration to keep the CX-5 between the lines in strong gusty winds.

As long as there is no wind the CX-5 is very quiet. Even at high speeds there is minimal wind noise, however when there is a moderate crosswind the interior quickly becomes noisy. I think this explains why some reviewers praise the CX-5 for it's quiet ride while others complain about the wind noise.

Latest posts

Back