Lewis7789 MS6 GT build thread

No problem. we had to do someones wheels on her ms3 where there was an imperfection and no matter what, when we painted over it, you could see the mistake underneath. they were perfect only when we restarted them.

the dip should just peel from the door, but i reccoment taking a playing card or credit card and sliding it between the skirt and door to make sure that it doesnt peel it off the door as well. maybe an exacto knife and some patience would be a better idea.

Yeah, I used an exacto knife on a couple edges just to be safe before peeling. I bought the paint locally from Smokey's Dyno in South Akron. SUPER nice guys there and Peter who used to do their dipping before OSHA said they need a paint booth gave me some tips. One of which was after each spray to open all the doors so it doesn't seal the rubber trim to the door. I forgot until the 2nd coat. Haha, the drivers rear door sealed a little but I'll trim it with the exacto, no worries. All the others were fine. Kinda tough to open a door handle with tacky paint though. I have a thumb print on my pass side door from when I closed it. Haha, I'm so stupid...

But if anyone locally dips their car, let me know and I'll come over and help and give a few points and tips. First one being when you think you mixed the paint well enough, keep mixing.

But if anyone locally dips their car, let me know and I'll come over and help and give a few points and tips. First one being when you think you mixed the paint well enough, keep mixing.

I can't allow this, sorry. No tips will be given. No cars will be dipped... :D

I can't allow this, sorry. No tips will be given. No cars will be dipped... :D

images

It's sitting in my garage. For sale if you're interested? haha

I can also offer tips for the vinyl, I'm sure that would be okay with Will and JT. haha

Don't use too much heat. Just a quick couple passes with my friends heat gun on the first setting was plenty. I started with the mirror covers to get a feel for the vinyl and I set the gun on the second setting and it heated the vinyl up so quickly it ripped open. Heck, if you can get around not using heat at all, the better. The more heat you use the more the vinyl stretches and won't lay flat. And if it stretches too much the color stretches too and you'll see a shade of the under color peeking through. You really gotta plan ahead to where you start and where you'll finish and with the contours.

I'm sure a pro knows how to work with it. I personally wouldn't want to attempt it again. haha

Well, it's raining so no sunshine pics. I didn't think matte white could be so bright. Hopefully the sun will fade it out quickly. But it came out pretty well I think.

texture shot;

Looks great. I like how clean the trunk is without the badging. Will be even better with new taillights!

Looks better with the gold wheels than the silver did. ;)

would like it more if the grill emblem was white, mirrors & trunk trim piece above the plate were black i think.

Like I was telling Will and Phen, I wasn't going for a pretty paint job. I wanted something that I could repair the rust, paint over and was cheap. It was really ugly before. Now it's just not as ugly. haha

I was thinking the same thing, Nate. I think I'll do the trunk piece black.

Back