Lewis7789 MS6 GT build thread

#2 is pretty awesome. But #1 is a good second choice. (#1 looks like Taurus SHO tail lights.)

20130611_211403.jpg

20130611_211244.jpg

20130619_210855.jpg

20130619_222036.jpg

iamjamen, where did you get yours? Those are certainly the best looking, but also most expensive. I saw a couple group buys a few years back and have been looking for a set for sale on the forums but no such luck.

iamjamen, where did you get yours? Those are certainly the best looking, but also most expensive. I saw a couple group buys a few years back and have been looking for a set for sale on the forums but no such luck.

I was able to find a used set on 6crew for $280 shipped, which was a great deal. I detest the ricey stockers enough that replacing them was a priority. Freak4Dell over on 6crew is the guy who sells the tailights, hence the "F4D", and might be able to help you locate a used set. But, if you can be patient, I would just wait for a set of car_LEDs to come up on 6crew, 6club, MSF, or here. There are usually a lot of people ooooing and aaahhhing in a for sale thread but because they are expensive and do not add any performance what-so-ever a lot of people pass them up so you can get pretty lucky.

Edit: Also, I think what really makes the car_LEDs for me are the housings being flush against the quarters and decklid. The stockers have a bulge that looks atrocious and when you add in all the chrome they just ruin that beautiful ass.

Stock:

20121122_134712.jpg

01+Stock+04.jpg

01+Stock+02.jpg

vs

car_LEDs

20130529_194049.jpg

.facebook_927634641.jpg

Last edited:
Your MS6 looks great, man. I went ahead and ordered option #1 but will certainly keep an eye out for the ones you have on the forums. And I totally agree about the stockers being soooo ugly and I hate the side bulges. haha

Current pic;

I repaired the rust spots and waiting for the primer to dry. Everything has been claybar'ed and wiped down with alcohol, but will be wiped down again tomorrow. I've got the front bumper off and disassembled. I think I might leave the fog lights out and just leave the shrouds in. Get a little more airflow to the intake. And I hate foglights. Will and JT, don't look at the left side of the pic. That's the little mid section of the front grill being Plastidipped black. I liked the way it looked on Ryan's red MS6 so I'll give it a try. "It peels right off!". Haha, sorry guys.

Looking forward to wrapping tomorrow!

Where's the picture of Ryan's MS6 with the black grill thiny?

I'm with JT, I can't wait to see the finished product.

I repaired the rust spots and waiting for the primer to dry. Everything has been claybar'ed and wiped down with alcohol, but will be wiped down again tomorrow. I've got the front bumper off and disassembled. I think I might leave the fog lights out and just leave the shrouds in. Get a little more airflow to the intake. And I hate foglights. Will and JT, don't look at the left side of the pic. That's the little mid section of the front grill being Plastidipped black. I liked the way it looked on Ryan's red MS6 so I'll give it a try. "It peels right off!". Haha, sorry guys.

Looking forward to wrapping tomorrow!

I'm excited to see how the wrap turns out. I searched for a white MS6 before I purchased mine but nothing came up that met my criteria.

Did you or are planning to use any rust converter and/or encapsulator? I did a quick sand, prime, and rustoleum bomb on the quarter lips before last winter but I plan on dropping the rear subframe when I install the cp-e rear diff mount and whiteline rear bar so I am thinking that would be an opportune time to go to town with some rust products. I bought a few of Eastwood's products that I am hoping will do the trick or at least slow it down.

PD'd stock grill should be interesting. Especially black on white. Can't wait to see photos of everything when it's done.

I'm using some Rustoleum "Rust Stopper" primer on everything. So far the product works great but it keeps clogging the nozzle while spraying and even after clearing it when done. I'm on my third nozzle now. Haha. But hopefully that will prevent the rust from coming back too quickly. It will always come back but this should slow it down some. I'm not keeping this particular chassis for too long. When it's paid off I'll look for a cleaner southern chassis with a blown motor and swap everything over.

Will, here's a pic of a white MS6 with the black center grill. Though mine is just all black.
246629-plasti-dip-coated-emblem-8.html

edit- add "Mazda 6 club.com" where the * are.

Honestly, I have no idea how I would wrap that section anyway. I would probably screw it all up. If it looks too bad/contrasting then I'll remove it and paint it. And another thing I have no idea how well I'll be able to make it look are the handles. I popped the doors off this morning to see if I can remove the handles all together but it's a much more tedious process than I would like to dive into right now. So I'll do the best I can.

I also Bondo'ed the front license plate holes and the rear Mazda M badge. Should look nice and clean.

Last edited:
Well, that vinyl wrap kicked my ass. It was MUCH harder to do than what I expected and from what the How-To videos on Youtube made it sound. I only finished both rear doors and they didn't look very good. If you use too much heat you'll stretch the vinyl and the color underneath will show through. If you stretch it too much you'll have too much material to work with and will get creases. After the two doors were "done" I moved onto the rear quarter panel with my GF's help. I botched it all up and got so frustrated I actually punch the quarter panel so I called it quits. Add vinyl wrap to another job I just can't understand how someone would want to do as a profession. Vinyl wrapper and piano movers. haha.

So I'll loose some friends over my decision to Plastidip it. I took the day off work since everything was already semi prepped and on jackstands.

Masked and after the 5th coat.

Final product. 5 gallons and 5 coats. I'll still need another coat or two to really get the best coverage. The black, rust free, hood I bought from a friend took a lot of paint to cover.

Damnit! haha. I accidentally bumped the door when I was on my stepstool painting the roof. It will get sanded and resprayed this weekend.

I have to remove the front bumper to put everything back together and have a little more cleanup to do. The paint fumes and heat gave me a wicked migraine so I had to call it quits.

While I care not for plastidip on a whole car... your car, your decisions. If you dig it, so be it. I can't see any of the pics, so I'll look later.

Since we're all friends in this build thread honest opinions are always appreciated. I won't be offended. :)

Looks good so far, Evan. Sorry to hear the vinyl was a pain in the ass and didnt turn out like you expected. Either way, white ms6's are teh sex

I am with Phen, your car, your money, your call. You know I would have stopped by and lent you a pair of hand to help you get it wrapped. We are all friends here and will always lend a hand, we are just a phone call or text away. Looks good to me, dip, no dip, wrap, no wrap.....I still have love for, ya my funky brotha

evan dont sand that spot. i reccomend that you peel it off of that skirt on that door panel entirely and just respray that skirt. trust me.

Okay, AJ. Thanks for the heads up. That does make much more sense.

Back