GI: Replacement exhaust manifold

either way pope keep us updated im sure as soon as u get it made we will have plenty of us that would do a Group Buy for the first ones u make!!!

Stock replacement please. My thunder manifold is on its last leg. I've had the damn thing rewelded for a third time.

Stock replacement please. My thunder manifold is on its last leg. I've had the damn thing rewelded for a third time.

Do you have any flex in your exhaust? I'm not going to go to bat for thunder, but manifolds don't generally crack like that unless they are put through some serious stress.

Tubular stock replacement will be alright, also the downpipe you're talking about to fit this turbo manifold is the current one you made right?

The Thunders ALL cracked at some point, it's just poor design or poor welds or poor materials.. or all of the above. They came from Taiwan and were like $300 some bucks new, that should tell us everything.

Do you have any flex in your exhaust? I'm not going to go to bat for thunder, but manifolds don't generally crack like that unless they are put through some serious stress.
yes there is a flex section in the exhaust. I just know that the piping that thunder racing used was thin walled.

A tubular stock replacement manifold is going to cater to those running gt25, discos, gt2871s and gt3071r's so they won't be too slow. You can make a lot of power with these turbos and a tubular stock high flowing replacement will only help yield the highest amount of flow and power while enabling those who have already own toms dp to reap all the benefits.

yes there is a flex section in the exhaust. I just know that the piping that thunder racing used was thin walled.

Gotcha. Maybe I'll use 14 gauge or weld els rather than the 16 gauge I use on the downpipes.

Here's a question.... 304SS or 409SS? 409 is stronger and less likely to crack, but it won't take a shine and can even get a little rusty looking in some environments. It will never rust out it just won't look as nice. 304SS can be polished and is a great material, but I'm leaning toward 409 for this application. Plus 409 is cheaper :)

Does a T2 turbine housing for an external wastegate even exist? Seems like if you want an external wastegate, then you also want a T3 flange, which means you are going to have a hard time fitting a turbo that big in the stock location, and you have a lot of custom work to be done anyway.

I think we need two camps here. Stock replacement people, and consequences be damned people. I vote for worrying about the stock guys first.

The reason why I was a EWG setup over the WGA bs is that I've already replaced 6 WGA and tired of messing with them. Plus you get a faster spool or well responce and better boost controll with ewg's over wga

I'd delete the egr though.

You can always just cap it off if that a issue.

Gotcha. Maybe I'll use 14 gauge or weld els rather than the 16 gauge I use on the downpipes.

Here's a question.... 304SS or 409SS? 409 is stronger and less likely to crack, but it won't take a shine and can even get a little rusty looking in some environments. It will never rust out it just won't look as nice. 304SS can be polished and is a great material, but I'm leaning toward 409 for this application. Plus 409 is cheaper :)

I can live with a rusty look as long as it doesnt rust out. Plus I can always get the mani coated

Last edited:
To get a EWG on a t2 series turbo your are going to have to do one of 2 things. A. get the flapper welded shut. Or B. Leave your internal wastegate hooked up and just don't run a vac line to it so it holds the flapper shut all the time.

I'm ok with that. I want external wg with stock t2 location mainly cause I have popes dp, and external wg is so much more reliable

Im going to chime in and say 321 or 316 SS.

304 SS will probably be the better choice though.

Edit: Honestly 304 with 321 welding rod would be perfect.

Last edited:
I would say leave it internal waste gate actuator because they make t25 turbine housings with 38mm v band outlets. I've seen them at atpturbo.com

+1 on the 409 for sure FUNCTION OF FORM any day!!!

EDIT: has anybody wrapped a tubular with the the header heat wrap stuff?? ive seen cars with it but it always looks like it doesnt last long...

Back