The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

Quick query, would a full-head motorcycle helmet work for Hyperdrive/HDPE? I mean I would assume it's designed for the helmet to contact the road with your head in it, whereas in a car, you're in trouble if your head hits the pavement. Just wondering, I've got a line on a 300$ helmet for 25$ and was hoping it would work for on the track, too.
It's my understanding that most motorcycle helmets have an "M" rating like M2005 or M2010. You'd need to check the NASA rulebook but I don't think they allow a helmet with anything less than an "SA" rating.

Ugh, Monday already?

I'm pretty sure being out at Mid-Ohio in a t-shirt finally got me. Been feeling like crap since last Thursday. If I can last that long, I may just take off sick at noon...

The helmet requirements for HPDE are extremely simple to meet. Here is the language from the rules:

Nasa said:
1. Use a proper fitting helmet that meets Snell 1990 (SA1990; M1990) or newer (or equivalent) standards for cars or motorcycles.

Okay, thanks guys. I'm going to take a picture of the helmet and send it to HJC and ask if they can identify it so I can look up the rating for it. It supposed to be newer than 10 years old, and seemed to be top of the line at the time, so it should have some kind of Snell rating.

noice, looks like the tri-point bar

Ya it's basically the same design as the Tri-Point bar, except the entire bar is Powder Coated. I read a few people reporting issues with the tri-point saying that since the caps aren't coated, they eventually start rusting or something along those lines. I have the JBarone SSP and it's really good quality, so I decided to get the JBarone sway bar.

Okay, thanks guys. I'm going to take a picture of the helmet and send it to HJC and ask if they can identify it so I can look up the rating for it. It supposed to be newer than 10 years old, and seemed to be top of the line at the time, so it should have some kind of Snell rating.

you can find it on the inside, under the padding

in order to get my car done I've decided to put some or leave some oem stuff back on for now, like the radiator fans, horn, exhaust mani. debating the down pipe, depends if the block off for the o2 bung will come out for the wideband and what the how-to has to say.
Won't be able to do the suspension or tt and may hold off on the brakes. They still have some life left but wanted to change them for hyperdrive that I wasn't able to attend.

anybody know where the clip for the VICS or VTCS (whichever one is closer to the head) goes to? I have the clip part the was attached to the intake mani but can't find the wires to reattach them.

Maybe I'm not understanding the question clearly enough, Nate. But... huh?

What clip and wires? The wiring for them should be coming from under the TB. Or are you talking about the vacuum hoses? VTCS are the ones closest to the head and the selenoid is the left one.

IT's a clip that sat above the VTCS soolenoid on the left side (facing the engine) of the intake mani I don't have my camera cord I see if I can find a pic

Wow today blows. Is it Friday yet. Someone get me a hard drink and fast.

I don't remember any clip above the VTCS solenoid, mate. Are you taking on the very top of the IM? Or the actuators on the passenger side? I'm so confused.

018-1.jpg

the very left top clip (electrical)

018-1-1.jpg

the end of the wire doesn't connect to the hoses, just how it's laying

Last edited:
found out what it went to, but have no clue what it is. It's from somehting on the back of the block, maybe an oil temp sensor? looks like some sort of sensor

Ahhh, yes. Josh and I just pulled his FS-DE yesterday so it's fresh in my mind. It goes to a sender by your oil filter. I think it's an oil dummy light for the gauge cluster.

Back