hypertech?

Mazdaspeed Tuning Info Part 1

The following is some specific information about our tuning, with attached graphs. This should help answer some of the questions presented on this thread. The graphs have some additional explanation about the data presented.

We don't usually have requests for detailed information about our tunes. Typically, this is not something we publicize, but due to the level of questions I was getting about our tuning, I felt like it was appropriate to share this info with everyone.

Here goes!

How much boost are we running? - 1_HowMuchBoost.jpg
On a stock car, we measured a peak of about 17.5psi with the Hypertech tune, while the stock tune peaks at about 14.5psi. This was measured in 4th gear on our AWD Superflow dyno.

What are the intake air temps at this boost? - 2_IAT_Temps.jpg
During the same dyno pulls, we measured a peak-to-peak increase of about +24F pre-intercooler, and about +19F peak-to-peak after the intercooler. These temperatures were measured with a fine gauge thermocouple that reacts much faster than a typical intake air temp sensor, so dont be surprised if these numbers are slightly different than what you measure with a datalogger. Our readings should be worse, if anything, during a similar test. This JPG does have an inset picture of the sensor we use, but it is still hard to tell that the sensor consists of two hair sized wires.

How hot are the EGTs with the tune? - 3_EGTs.jpg
During the same dyno pulls, we measured an increase of about +34F, peak-to-peak over stock. This doesnt sound like much, but the EGTs are right at 1500F which is pretty hot when wide open. The factory tune didnt leave much room for us to make a tune that wouldnt cause problems in the long run. The power gains we got with only a +34F increase is really nice.

One thing to note is that we probably use a slightly different temperature sensor than most people are used to. We use a small wire, exposed junction thermocouple for our dyno tuning. These are much more responsive than a typical thermocouple sold with aftermarket gauges because the mass is much less (heats up quicker). This allows us to see quick changes in EGTs and have better insight as to what our tunes are doing during development. The downside to a fast probe like this is that they are fragile. If you have an aftermarket gauge your numbers may not match ours exactly due to the differences in probes and equipment.

How about more boost? - 4_More_Boost.jpg
The boost curve the Hypertech tune was developed through extensive testing, and during some of that testing we tested a tune that maintained the boost pressure all the way to redline rather than dropping off in the higher RPMs. The overboost tune pushes boost up another 2psi and the result is about +50F and only +9HP. The final Hypertech tune increases boost 4psi over stock at the same point and only bumps EGTs +35F and makes +59HP. That additional 2psi just isnt worth it. Theres a lot of info on this JPG explaining what we measured.

Attachments

• 1_HowMuchBoost.jpg
    1_HowMuchBoost.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 238
  • 2_IAT_Temps.jpg
    2_IAT_Temps.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 3_EGTs.jpg
    3_EGTs.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 177
  • 4_More_Boost.jpg
    4_More_Boost.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 216
Mazdaspeed Tuning Info Part 2

More info...

New Feature Coming Soon (Air Intakes) Why? - 5_CAI_Tuning.jpg
We have developed tunes for several aftermarket air intakes, and are currently adding those to the Sport. These will show up as a new feature. The new feature will ask if you have an aftermarket air intake installed, and then show you a list to choose from. This feature will be a free update for anyone who already has a Sport. It should be available by Wednesday or so next week. Ill keep you guys posted on that.

If you install an aftermarket air intake on the car, the changes to the intake tract can cause errors in the ECU calculations for the quantity of air entering the engine. The ECU uses this calculation to control many aspects of the engine, so a small error here can compound itself quickly. With no changes to the tune to account for these errors the EGTs will get hotter, boost will go too high, and AFR will lean out. By correcting these errors, the ECU will properly control the engine. The JPG goes into much more detail.

How do cold air intakes help? - 6_CAI_help.jpg
Obviously cold air intakes are popular mods because they make good power, but have you ever wondered why? We did. So, while we were testing we measured the pressure in the intake tract before the turbo with the stock intake and an aftermarket intake to see what happens. It turns out that an aftermarket air intake can reduce the inlet restriction by 5%, and because thats a direct restriction to the turbo, the output boost jumps up by that same 5%. And with more air comes more power. The Hypertech tune provides that same 5% increase in power youd expect when an air intake is added on. The tune is absolutely set to respond to additional mods.

What about exhaust? - 7_Exhaust_help.jpg
Exhaust systems are also very popular mods for these cars, and after testing our tuning with aftermarket exhaust systems on the dyno we can see why they make such an improvement in power. We measured the back pressure in the exhaust system after the catalyst during our dyno pulls and saw that an aftermarket exhaust system dramatically reduces the back pressure. Testing with an aftermarket air intake with our Hypertech tuning, we saw exhaust back pressure drop from just over 6 psi with the stock exhaust to 5psi with the aftermarket exhaust. This is roughly a 15% drop in back pressure, which resulted in additional +12HP to the ground. The additional fresh air getting into the engine was accounted for by the mass air calculations and the tuning was automatically adjusted to maintain the proper controls with the additional power. We did spend the time to adjust the tuning to see if more could be gained, but in the end, the tune is still optimized the best it can be. The additional modifications are already accounted for, so there is no need for an additional feature to adjust the tuning to account for an aftermarket exhaust system. You can see this is the case by the power gains measured at all points in the curve when the aftermarket exhaust is installed when compared to the same tune with the factory exhaust system.

Attachments

• 5_CAI_Tuning.jpg
    5_CAI_Tuning.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 194
  • 6_CAI_help.jpg
    6_CAI_help.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 262
  • 7_Exahust_help.jpg
    7_Exahust_help.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 204
Chris, You may have been asked already, but did you guys monitor the DI fuel pressure during your dyno testing? Reason is, the HPFPs seem to be a hit or miss as far as holding required pressure at elevated boost/loads. It is a standard upgrade to replace the HPFP internals with a kit from one of several vendors, or the entire pump from a couple. The tell-tale sign is the DI fuel pressure dropping to less anything less than 1200-1300 psi while at WOT. I saw mine as low as 750 psi before upgrading the pump. You guys may not have approached that level of flow yet, but you likely will if you add much more to your current power tunes. Just an FYI, if you haven't seen it yet....

Very good info there on those jpg's!

Questions:

1 - Could the stock intake tune be used if the stock MAF was cut out of a spare intake box and a cone filter attached to it?
2 - Your comments on the exhaust are just cat-back and not turbo-back, right?
3 - Could we alter the idle rpm with your system?

Chris, You may have been asked already, but did you guys monitor the DI fuel pressure during your dyno testing? Reason is, the HPFPs seem to be a hit or miss as far as holding required pressure at elevated boost/loads. It is a standard upgrade to replace the HPFP internals with a kit from one of several vendors, or the entire pump from a couple. The tell-tale sign is the DI fuel pressure dropping to less anything less than 1200-1300 psi while at WOT. I saw mine as low as 750 psi before upgrading the pump. You guys may not have approached that level of flow yet, but you likely will if you add much more to your current power tunes. Just an FYI, if you haven't seen it yet....

I posted a dash hawk datalog with the DI FP for you guys. It was with in specs. never went below 1500 psi at WOT.

I posted a dash hawk datalog with the DI FP for you guys. It was with in specs. never went below 1500 psi at WOT.

Thanks, I wasn't sure. I would recommend that anyone modding their DISI for more power would at minimum invest in a DH or some other data logging device to help keep up with key engine parameters such as Fuel Pressure, Knock Retard, Boost, and AFR. Even with a good tune, you can have issues, especially with the HPFP.

Just would like to say that I, maybe my own opinion, love threads like these! Still being new in the modding world and still learning all the endless information there is about cars, threads like these are so informative and helpful to those like me that are looking to acquire more knowledge for their growing passion for cars!

Keep up the good work! :D

Forzda, you still recommend the KMD over all others? What kind of consistent pressures do you see with those internals?

Forzda, you still recommend the KMD over all others? What kind of consistent pressures do you see with those internals?

Yes I do. I see no reason to expect a set of internals to require break-in. That very fact says the coatings are too thick or the clearances otherwise cut too close and the metal must WEAR away to allow enough clearance to operate without sticking. I just don't like that fact.

See log for pressures.....

Attachments

• datalog2x.xls
    18.5 KB · Views: 179

Good question. We didn't increase it over stock, so I wasn't too worried about it. We did datalog it on the dyno and on the road testing, but I don't remember ever seeing it drop during datalogs. This problem will typically cause inconsistent dyno readings, but the car is dead on repeatable with our tuning, even with intake and exhaust.

What did you increase the boost cut to? I am sorry if it has been stated, I did a thread search but it pretty much just outlined every post in the thread.

On the stock tune (I know, it's designed to be very safe) I hit boost cut with a turbo-back exhaust and intake. I understand you are saying your tune is not meant to be used with a modified down pipe. I am just curious.

What did you increase the boost cut to? I am sorry if it has been stated, I did a thread search but it pretty much just outlined every post in the thread.

On the stock tune (I know, it's designed to be very safe) I hit boost cut with a turbo-back exhaust and intake. I understand you are saying your tune is not meant to be used with a modified down pipe. I am just curious.

We tune the boost cut and load cut limiters to allow for mods, but we don't max them out. They are still there.

How well does this adapt to a full array of bolt on's? I know the answer is to get a custom tune at that point but when you live in the mountains and there's no one close, a safer programmer like this seems to have some potential. Basically I want to bolt on upgraded TMIC, colder plugs, Exhaust, SRI, ....

Very good info there on those jpg's!

Questions:

1 - Could the stock intake tune be used if the stock MAF was cut out of a spare intake box and a cone filter attached to it?
2 - Your comments on the exhaust are just cat-back and not turbo-back, right?
3 - Could we alter the idle rpm with your system?

Thanks!

1. We obviously havent tested this, but it should work.

2. Correct. Cat-back only. All of our tunes must meet 50-state emissions standards, so we wont offer a tune for this modification.

3. The Sport programmer doesnt have any options to adjust idle RPM. We leave that set at the stock setting.

How well does this adapt to a full array of bolt on's? I know the answer is to get a custom tune at that point but when you live in the mountains and there's no one close, a safer programmer like this seems to have some potential. Basically I want to bolt on upgraded TMIC, colder plugs, Exhaust, SRI, ....

The tuning should respond very well to the increased airflow gained by having a better intercooler. Cooler intake air temps from the more efficient intercooler will also be measured by the boosted air temp sensor which will also correct the spark and fueling correctly. That part is no different than the correction made when the outside air temp changes. The time we spent to develop this tune and ensure that all air mass and torque calculations are correct at the higher power levels create a perfect platform for basic bolt-on mods. Because these cars use a Mass Airflow Sensor to measure the incoming air, any additional air will be accurately measured and the spark and fueling will be adjusted appropriately for the best, safe power we have already tuned for.

Where can I buy one? What is the part # and price for forum members? Also, does this tune increase MPG?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back