hypertech?

......Chris will be back. Hypertech is just shut down because of the weather they have had in TN.

FWIW, I did take the time to study the before/after dyno sheet you posted up and it looks just fine. They did tune (correctly IMO) the ECU to move the load (torque) peak higher in the rpms and netted good gains for a street tune on a car with OEM exhaust w/cats. If this is what you're after then it looks fine to me. If you're looking for something to get you started towards a fully bolted street and/or some track use car, then it is more cost-effective to go with a more "open" tuning source.

After all the grief I gave Chris in trying to find out just what the heck they are doing, I wanted to respond back that IMO the tune result, based on the posted dyno of the final result on the beta test car, reflects good tuning technique and the expected gains.

FWIW, I did take the time to study the before/after dyno sheet you posted up and it looks just fine. They did tune (correctly IMO) the ECU to move the load (torque) peak higher in the rpms and netted good gains for a street tune on a car with OEM exhaust w/cats. If this is what you're after then it looks fine to me. If you're looking for something to get you started towards a fully bolted street and/or some track use car, then it is more cost-effective to go with a more "open" tuning source.

After all the grief I gave Chris in trying to find out just what the heck they are doing, I wanted to respond back that IMO the tune result, based on the posted dyno of the final result on the beta test car, reflects good tuning technique and the expected gains.

Good form.

i enjoyed this thread so far more than any other i've read. compliments to everyone on their candor and behavior.

FWIW, I posted a DH Log I took before I totalled my car.

DH1.jpg

So you simluated the car making power at full weight 4400 lbs? Is that realistic? Im just wondering would that mean you make less power on the dyno right

i enjoyed this thread so far more than any other i've read. compliments to everyone on their candor and behavior.

Seriously? Because I don't think Forzda1's behavior was good. With quotes like "marketing coolaid" and "ignorant souls" he basically called Hypertech liars and any potential customers stupid. But, now the product is probably OK and we have his blessing. Gee, thanks!

Seriously? Because I don't think Forzda1's behavior was good. With quotes like "marketing coolaid" and "ignorant souls" he basically called Hypertech liars and any potential customers stupid. But, now the product is probably OK and we have his blessing. Gee, thanks!

His responses were blunt, but justified. He's one of the most knowledgeable people in the community when it comes to tuning the MS6 and he was asking questions to get answers for the sake of everyone, not just himself. He never attacked Hypertech, just questioned their verbage on topics, and challenged them to back up their claims.

Would you rather it sit here and no one challenge it, have people buy it, and sit on here and complain it wasn't what they expected?

I don't mind the questions, just the manner in which it was done. Plus, it was clear he didn't understand the market segment Hypertech targeted. Finally, he answered his own questions with data that was already out there.

Last edited:

he was curt and very blunt, and direct, certainly. but i have to applaud more than a few things here;

1) hypertech responded and did so without getting heated or defensive. they could have walked away or gotten ticked in response which would have only fueled the flames.

2) FORDZA did in fact in more than one post not only admit he had done some research and gotten the answers he was looking for, but gave the company thumbs up and recognized the unit for what it is, positively.

3) aside from other speed bumps, there were several good pages worth of not only information on the hypertech, but what good engine management does and should do to these cars.

frankly, there are a ton of sour threads and fanboy tirades on these forums which go unchecked and serve zero practical advisory role to a consumer. threads like this where real tangible BS free data is conveyed need to be the norm, not the exception, so while its not Emily Post in here, it is something that we need to see more of on this forum in terms of results given.

he was curt and very blunt, and direct, certainly. but i have to applaud more than a few things here;

1) hypertech responded and did so without getting heated or defensive. they could have walked away or gotten ticked in response which would have only fueled the flames.

2) FORDZA did in fact in more than one post not only admit he had done some research and gotten the answers he was looking for, but gave the company thumbs up and recognized the unit for what it is, positively.

3) aside from other speed bumps, there were several good pages worth of not only information on the hypertech, but what good engine management does and should do to these cars.

frankly, there are a ton of sour threads and fanboy tirades on these forums which go unchecked and serve zero practical advisory role to a consumer. threads like this where real tangible BS free data is conveyed need to be the norm, not the exception, so while its not Emily Post in here, it is something that we need to see more of on this forum in terms of results given.

I would like to thank you for the compliment. The mods in this section do their absolute best to run a tight ship and not let misinformation run rampant. With the robust knowledge of our fellow members we're able to keep this a place where everyone can enjoy learning something about their cars.

Again, we really do appreciate the compliment!

I would like to thank you for the compliment. The mods in this section do their absolute best to run a tight ship and not let misinformation run rampant. With the robust knowledge of our fellow members we're able to keep this a place where everyone can enjoy learning something about their cars.

Again, we really do appreciate the compliment!

trust me, i know its easier for people to complain than it is to get a compliment out of them :)

yeah kens right!! all the effort and opinions are useful.. and, honestly the tude really disrupts the learning.. but, it does help with the entertaining!!

Last edited:
Chris, I have a question for you. I see that this says it is for all first gen ms3's, but did you guys account for the fact that the 09 ms3 has significantly different ecu programming? I think the tables are all the same but they are all jumbled up and in different places or something like that. I just want to make sure because I am considering getting one of these things and while it seems you guys did a bunch of homework, I didn't see this mentioned anywhere.

Thanks

I replied to your PM today about this. I just noticed this post, so I'll reply here for the forum.

Yes, we did account for this. Some of the other software out there works with one calibration set for a number of years. There are actually quite a few different Mazda calibrations for the 2.3L turbo engine in the Speed3 and Speed6 cars. The Sport programmer will be able to tell what PCM and what files are in your computer based on the calibration ID. It reads out the calibration ID, and then matches up the proper Hypertech tune to load in your PCM, with the data in the right place.

Back