RPMs Dropping at Idle, But I Have MAF Relocate!

protegerider

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
so i went into boost pretty hard last night through 3rd and 4th gears (drive), and i shifted to neutral at i think 5000 rpms and the rpms dropped to 0 and it bogged and almost stalled. this same occurance has been happening everytime i go into neutral from i would say 4000 or higher rmps, and I stalled out once because of this. other things i notice are that the turbo seems to be spooling way to quick, there is less power, and there seems to be a different exhaust note, i may be going crazy though. i have had a relocated MAF for around 3-4 months, and this is the first time this has happened. i would get rough idle though, but thats just an msp thing. i also have a small oil leak coming off the return line of the turbo, and i have 96,xxx miles with all original parts. wastegate may be the problem? idk. im not sure, please help.

check the wastegate by pulling of the vac line from the intake exhaust manifold (leaving the other end connected to the wastegate) and blow in to it. if you can blow any air through the line then the wastegate is bad.

ok i will check that out. so if i can blow into it is that the only way to determine if the wastegate is bad? or is it possible that i cant blow into it but it is still shot?

Simple vacuum leak? I'd check all the vacuum lines first. Mine used to do the same thing. Re-ran all the vacuum lines to make sure they were nice and tight with no holes or cracks. Haven't had a problem since. So I think I had a loose line. Make sure the line going to the wga is nice and tight before you blow into it to avoid a false reading.....that happened to me the first time I tested it.

I just had the same exact problem, i relocated my MAF to the vac side of the turbo and, put some NGK stock heat range plugs in and solved problem

so do people have better luck with their maf on the cold side where it orginally is or right after the for the air filter for the inlet side of the turbo?

so do people have better luck with their maf on the cold side where it orginally is or right after the for the air filter for the inlet side of the turbo?

you've got it backwards.. normally its right after the air filter. Many relocate it to the cold pipe so the can run VTA.

Right i had mine on the pressure side of the Turbo and i had the same problem a few months after. I moved it back to the Vac side and changed the plugs and my car feels like a new one.

im confused, you had it relocated, then switched back to the intake side? because you are saying you wen from the pressur side to the vaccum, nd that the same thing.

whoa....yeah, that's way to big of a gap. Bring that baby down. Mine are at .35 and still have minor sputtering, so I think I need to bring them down more.

they are gapped so wide because they came like that and to gap from .4 to .3 is hard. its hard to get them down that far accuratley on all 4

Back