What have you done to your P5 today?

I've cleared drain lines on the jeep and a cavalier by hitting it with a little high pressure air. CLears clogs no problem. I havn't noticed if it's not draining when the A/C is on. I'll look into that today

I used duplicolor universal metallic. Looks like gloss from afar but when you get up close to it, it's got that metallic look. Definitely works with the scheme of the car.

Got a few more parts in the mail :) just a few more. Tomorrow I'm thinking I'll install the RacingBeat rear swaybar and see if I can't get it adjusted properly with the AWR endlinks. If all goes well I'd also like to do a compression test and I think I need to re-arrange my injectors (did you know there was a proper order?!). Assuming all goes well with the compression test I might go ahead and install the Perrin fuel rail as well seeing as half the steps needed would already be accomplished.

Hmmmm A Milestone Day

Last week I bought a non-running P5. Rod through the block @ 77K miles.

Picked up the car today with a new used motor with a bit under 50K miles.

Original 77K Motor.jpg

Dropped the broken motor at the salvage yard to get my core deposit back.

Hmmm, needs sway bar bushings. Pulled the extraneous wiring from the previous owner's stereo installation out. Pulled the rear door panels. Love the wires wrapped around the cone wires in the rear door speakers to extend back to the rear hatch area. Hmmm, there is low gauge power lead off the battery live and laying in the hatch area. Glad it hasn't touched the ground wire which is also laying back there. Stock speakers. Gonna have to go.

Hmmm the spare tire well is damp, as well as the jack storage area. I wonder if there is a leak? Space saver spare is showing cord....

The power mirrors won't tilt down or in. Pull the drivers door panel and the mirror switch. Pull the switch apart and clean it. Doesn't look too bad. Bend the contacts a bit, to ensure that they're making good contact, put a dab of dielectric grease and reassemble the switch and test it, Mirrors still won't tilt down or in?!?! Oh well, stock speakers in the front doors, so the door is going to have to come apart again anyway.

Program the stereo. Ahh, there is a CD in it. Popular teen music. Matches the Eminem CD I got out of the glove compartment.

That's it for today.

Last week I bought a non-running P5. Rod through the block @ 77K miles.

Picked up the car today with a new used motor with a bit under 50K miles.

http://mn-hsta.org/Original 77K Motor.jpg
Dropped the broken motor at the salvage yard to get my core deposit back.

Hmmm, needs sway bar bushings. Pulled the extraneous wiring from the previous owner's stereo installation out. Pulled the rear door panels. Love the wires wrapped around the cone wires in the rear door speakers to extend back to the rear hatch area. Hmmm, there is low gauge power lead off the battery live and laying in the hatch area. Glad it hasn't touched the ground wire which is also laying back there. Stock speakers. Gonna have to go.

Hmmm the spare tire well is damp, as well as the jack storage area. I wonder if there is a leak? Space saver spare is showing cord....

The power mirrors won't tilt down or in. Pull the drivers door panel and the mirror switch. Pull the switch apart and clean it. Doesn't look too bad. Bend the contacts a bit, to ensure that they're making good contact, put a dab of dielectric grease and reassemble the switch and test it, Mirrors still won't tilt down or in?!?! Oh well, stock speakers in the front doors, so the door is going to have to come apart again anyway.

Program the stereo. Ahh, there is a CD in it. Popular teen music. Matches the Eminem CD I got out of the glove compartment.

That's it for today.
s***, bro! Did someone check the rev limiter on a regular basis in that b****? The oil pan looks like s*** at that mileage.

Did a compression test, installed Perrin fuel rail and fixed my rear swaybar.

Compression test numbers (each cylinder tested twice):
1: 205 psi, 203 psi
2: 195 psi, 201 psi
3: 205 psi, 205 psi
4: 210 psi, 210 psi

The pressures seem a little high to me considering the FSM says it should be around 170 psi, bad piston rings?

And oh yeah, apparently the P5 didn't take kindly to all the work because she decided to smack me with the rear swaybar and send me to the emergency room (5 stitches and a tetanus shot total).

if you had bad rings, your compression would be way down. How did you do the test? Warm engine, no spark plugs installed, throttle wide open?

if you had bad rings, your compression would be way down. How did you do the test? Warm engine, no spark plugs installed, throttle wide open?
Yep, yep and yep! I had actually been driving around most of the morning but I took the P5 around the block just to make sure it was up to temperature. As per the FSM, pulled the fuel relay, opened the gas cap, started the car and ran it until it died, cranked it a few extra times for good measure, pulled the plugs and then tested each cylinder twice in a row (crank each cylinder about 5 times with the throttle fully depressed). This is the second time a compression test has yielded ~200 psi across all four. Time to do a leakdown next, just need to source a tester and an air tank.

geeDang... swaybar to the ???? 5 stitches... hope your ok
LOL, to the head. I was reinstalling it when it fell off the studs and hit me just above my right eye (I posted a before-stitch cellphone pic in the 'Member Pics II' thread). Note to self, always hold that thing up with one hand.

Washed her last night after dinner. This morning I cleaned the windows, shined the tires and then took my son to soccer evals. After that we drove to TCBY where I swapped cars with my sis-in-law. I drove her Pilot home to change the oil for her while she worked.

LOL, to the head. I was reinstalling it when it fell off the studs and hit me just above my right eye (I posted a before-stitch cellphone pic in the 'Member Pics II' thread). Note to self, always hold that thing up with one hand.

Oh man, other than 5 stitches and a stick, glad to hear you are ok.

Oh man, other than 5 stitches and a stick, glad to hear you are ok.
Thanks! Man, who knew working on cars was dangerous?! This definitely goes down as one of my more funny injuries. Considering the other things I was doing today (compression test, fuel rail install) I'm glad I was hurt by the swaybar and not by something like the engine bay catching on fire!

Decided to talk to bazooka joe about turboing the P5. 6 psi at 50k miles with no problems? sounds really intriguing to me so maybe I will start gathering parts to turbo her next summer. That would be soooo much fun.

Decided to talk to bazooka joe about turboing the P5. 6 psi at 50k miles with no problems? sounds really intriguing to me so maybe I will start gathering parts to turbo her next summer. That would be soooo much fun.

Well you are off to a good start. Mark is a great guy and his wife bakes a very tasty cake!

Back