Blown headgasket (azian6er)

i am using oem gasket arp studs (11mm the right ones) and i believe the tq was around 90 lb/ft or so (give or take)

i believe it is due to detonation however, or my head last time was not rewelded 100% (coolant had melted away part of my head)

I was running stock injectors for a while as well with higher boost so i figured this would happen sometime.

I knew it was gonna happen.

CWILL knows all too well about my problems as i think he also had constant HG problems.

Post pics of the combustion chamber of the bottom and gasket. I want to see what happened. Get a new cylinder head thats not repaired especially since you are running big boost. Why did you dump your E6X?

Theres no need to worry bout the Cometic and ARP if they are installed correctly and the tune is good.

There's only one part# for the FS head. I think this is back when they first came out 3 yrs ago.

dumped the e6x because i wanted more stock driveability (aka cold weather driveability etc).

Also, i felt that the ftc would do what I wanted (i didnt want to go over 16 psi on this Gt3037 anyways for right now)

But, Now that i think about it, haltech is way better and wish i would have kept it because i hate our MAF. Map is way better, and I wish i could have gone haltech again.

I will take pics and stuff when everything is sorted out.

Honestly im about to make this my weekend car and then try to hop into a new BMW 135i coupe.

-B

Upside is if you go Haltech again I got the E8 setup in the MSP. You'll like it a lot better than the E6X. Post the pics of the damage when you get a chance.

I found that most of my starting issues with the E6X had to do with a weak battery. I would get the E8 as well.

the e8 is something i havent looked into as of yet. I might take a look and see though. THe head gasket will be pulled late to early next week. I will post pics of the carnage after.

-Bryan

update:

head was pulled off, gasket around #4 was toast. Also, my engine mechanic said the compression was like 155 all across except like 145 for #4. Moreoverm he said there was too much play for comfort on all the pistons, and so i am going to put new pistons in AGAIN with new rings. Im sure they are ok, however i dont want to take any chances.

Also, there was oil on top of them, so im assuming maybe the rings went bad, but s*** i thought i might as well do it all.

Pics to come........

-Bryan

Oil in the pistons can be caused by blow-by gases produced after a blown head gasket, loose clearance from piston rings or cracked ring lands.

Constant boiling issues can be a problem in the thermostat, leaks or bubbles in the cooling syst.

Whats the damage on the pistons?

i think this next set hes puttin in are going to be his 3rd set of forged pistons. I know one set of pistons were JE pistons i dont know what the other set was

update again:

went to look at everything and it seems as if the pistons looked fine (no detonation or anything), but im gonna have my guy do them anyways. I think the rings might be bad, but who knows. (well i will tomorrow).

Ok, so the headgasket blew on number 4. Not like it blew on me before though. This time, it looks like an excessively hot condition seriously caused the headgasket to heat up and like warp and burn up on the outside of cylinder #4. it looked like "crispy" black around the edge of the ring.

In any event, i will try to snap pics tomorrow, i have forgot to bring a camera everytime i have gone to see the car.

So, pistons will be done, new headgasket, and hopefully this should clear up the problems i have been having.

Now i have two sets of used forged pistons lying around that are still in decent shape. This last set honestly looks like nothing is wrong with them, but my guy said to swap them anyways.

Ill keep everyone updated.

- Bry

take some freaking pics?

If the pistons are not scorched, reuse them. Check the block and head for warping, if its ok, then some honing on the cylinders.

running again --- the pistons really looked fine, so i didnt swap them - i only swapped the rings which looked fine as well, but i just wanted to to safety's sake.

The headgasket didnt look as bad as it did before, but it certainly was blown. I will have pics up later - but as for now i have s apre set of Arias 8.5:1 pistons.

Pics to follow!!

Back