2008 Mazda5: SUBSTANTIAL CHANGES!!!!

Just saw this and thought it might be interesting to add:
http://www.worldcarfans.com/9071203.007/2008-mazda5-facelift-set-for-bologna-debut

Some of the irritating differences from the NA model:
6-speed manual transmission
Power sliding doors

The wife and I have been in the market for a vehicle like this for a while, and if they sold the Euro version here, Mazda would certainly have our money.

(Well, they'd also have to add a power memory driver seat and dual climate control -- what can I say? We're lazy, and I like it cold in the car... :) )

gah! 6 speed manual, roof rails... i would buy that in a second

I just serviced my MZ5 this morning and the dealership had one (1, as in uno :D) 2008 Mazda5 (Sport). Some quick comments:

• The new blue is really nice. It seems in between the 2 blues offered for the 2006-2007 models, not extremely dark.
  • The CD dash plate is black as the ones we have seen pictured for the Touring and Grand Touring models (or GT in Canada)
  • The gauges seem to be electro-luminiscent as well (I was in a rush so had no chance to check it out in detail, i.e. turn it on)
  • The new seats' fabric combo looks nice
  • Fully chromed bezels for the front lights (no longer gray or black bezels. Again this is just the Sport case I believe)
  • Yes, I'll get used to the Non-LED taillights that come for the Sport. They don't look that bland in person though

Whoa, gotta love those US models.
5, grand touring, with nav + DVD plus almost all options, for 27 grands. Dammit it's a deal!

Now I'm eager to see the canadian models - no nav, no DVD - like the top model will be the sport + an unaffordable leather option... Pffff....

Comparing all the global prices it may be that those doors don't make it into NA due to actual cost, as Mazda needs to be profitable in such a competitive market. In Europe they are paying the big bucks for those cars (they are better valued) so it may be easier to squeeze the costs somewhere in the price tag.

Sure, power doors needn't be a standard feature, but why prevent those who need power doors and who can afford them from special-ordering them?

The 2008 Mazda5 brochure is now available for download from the Mazda website: www.mazdausa.com

So... if you want manual transmission, you have to get the sport and cannot have any of the following options:

Moonroof
Pearlescent Paint
In-Dash 6-disk CD changer
Side sill extensions
Rear liftgate spoiler

I won't be buying a Mazda5 anytime soon - my next step will be to see what the auto shows have in January / February, to see if Toyota or Honda have something similar to the Mazda5.

The 2008 Mazda5 brochure is now available for download from the Mazda website: www.mazdausa.com

So... if you want manual transmission, you have to get the sport and cannot have any of the following options:

Moonroof
Pearlescent Paint
Side sill extensions
Rear liftgate spoiler

I won't be buying a Mazda5 anytime soon - my next step will be to see what the auto shows have in January / February, to see if Toyota or Honda have something similar to the Mazda5.

NO need to wait for the auto shows.....Honda has the Odessey and Toyota has the Matrix and Sienna on the NA market. The closest thing to the Mazda5 (in terms of size and flexibity) on the NA market is the Kia Rondo. I don't think Honda has any plans to bring over the Stream for 2008.
Anthony

So... if you want manual transmission, you have to get the sport and cannot have any of the following options: Moonroof, Pearlescent Paint, In-Dash 6-disk CD changer, Side sill extensions, Rear liftgate spoiler
CD Changer, side sill extensions, and rear spoiler are available as dealer accessories, but if you want the 08 and MT, you're stuck getting a stripper. Mine has no factory options save the 4AT, no biggie.

Toyota is supposed to be bringing over the JDM Mark X Zio to the US in mid-2008. No sliders, no manual transmission, seats 6 in 3 rows, V6 only in North America, AWD available. Sounds like it would cost a few thousand more than a Mz5.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123684094&highlight=zio

Honda's next generation Stream is rumored to be coming over when it gets its makeover in a year or two, but supposedly without the 3rd row. No sliders, either.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-stream.html

Last edited:
Odd... I bought a 2007 MT and it has all of that except a moonroof.(eyeballs)

Moonroof
Pearlescent Paint
Side sill extensions
Rear liftgate spoiler

http://www.mazda.ca/eng/Vehicles/Mazda5/1024x768/m5_09.jpg

Interestingly, Mazda Ca is demonstrating the "suggested" way for an adult to enter 3rd row seat by sliding/tilting 2nd row seats.

In that sense, there's no need for walkway between 2nd row seats other than better ventilation (maybe individual inboard armrests).

I know this method might not work for average-sized (fat) Americans. The gap is not big enough. The door sills are too slippery and someone is going to step on the wire loom or lower door support

Last edited:
http://www.mazda.ca/eng/Vehicles/Mazda5/1024x768/m5_09.jpg

In that sense, there's no need for walkway between 2nd row seats other than better ventilation (maybe individual inboard armrests).

Oh but there is - if you have 2 kids seats anchored and clamped down on the 2nd row seats, and you need to get a backside(s) into the 3rd row.

This is the exact reason that we picked the Mazda 5 over a (used) 7 seater XC90. If the kids seats are in place, then you can't access the 3rd row in the XC90 without moving one of the car seats out, then putting it back in when access has been gained (unless you clamber over the seats, or in through the trunk - how dignified!). You would then need to go through the whole process again when you reach your destination.

You don't have to do this in the Mazda5 (cool)

The other option, of course, is to buy a minivan (*shudders at the thought*) or a Ford Taurus X/Freestyle (6 seat option) - neither of which are particularly appealing IMO.

The unfortunate thing is that the suggested method cannot be followed if both 2nd row seats have kidseats installed; which, I suspect, will be the case for many M5 owners or pre-owners.

Access to 3rd row is probably the number one concern I have (now that other things have been "fixed").

Last edited:
I understand the situation of child seats occupying both second row seats.

The degree of difficulty between hovering over one child seat then squeeze between two second row seats is probably comparable to squeeze behind a slided forward (but not tilted) second row seat.

The advantage of enter from behind second row is shorter distance and probably easier with longer seat travel.

According to the EPA web site, the 08 is now classified as a minivan, whereas the 06 and 07 were classified as station wagons.

Can someone who bought a US 2008 Mz5 confirm this on their sticker? What's next, factory tinted windows? ;)

Edit 5:47PM -> it's listed under both minivan and station wagon categories, which doesn't make much sense. The former is classified as a truck (hence tinted windows), the latter as a car.

Last edited:
Here you go. I found the window stickers for my cars:

2006 Mazda5
City 22MPG
Highway 27MPG
For comparison shopping, all vehicles classified as SPV 2WD

2008 Mazda5
City 22MPG
Highway 28MPG
Compared to: All minivans

What the hell is an SPV? (silly)

I found the same thing in the Wayne Mazda Web Site (I read that this is the largest Mazda dealer in the US so they have good stuff to compare with :D).

If you choose a 2007 Mazda5 is a Station Wagon, if you choose a 2008 then it is a Minivan... weird

http://www.waynemazda.com/ou/wayne-mazda/console.do?page=r_specials_new

2008 Mazda5
City 22MPG
Highway 28MPG
Compared to: All minivans

What the hell is an SPV? (silly)

I found the same thing in the Wayne Mazda Web Site (I read that this is the largest Mazda dealer in the US so they have good stuff to compare with :D).

If you choose a 2007 Mazda5 is a Station Wagon, if you choose a 2008 then it is a Minivan... weird
Thanks - SPV means "Special Performance Vehicle" per the EPA. Minivans are classified as trucks with a lower EPA target, so that helps Mazda not get burned with CAFE penalties - at least until the new energy bill goes into effect.

Time to call MazdaUSA to ask them where your factory tinted windows are!

SPV means "Special Performance Vehicle" per the EPA. Minivans are classified as trucks with a lower EPA target, so that helps Mazda not get burned with CAFE penalties - at least until the new energy bill goes into effect.
SPV, MAV, MPV... crap... (I like the Performance part though (evil))

Time to call MazdaUSA to ask them where your factory tinted windows are!
True. Back on 05 I was very happy seeing it with no tint so to keep the wagon looks, but the OEM tint grew on my quickly. Possibly Mazda will argue that it is not mandatory, I've seen some minivans w/o tint :(. Suckers.

DodgeMinivan.jpg

SPV - Special Purpose Vehicle (as much as one would like the word performance)

The manner in which the seats fold leads me to consider it a station wagon. Think of station wagons of yesteryear or the Volvo V70 (tailgunner style). Only thing that may sway it to the minivan camp are the sliding rear doors.

Back