2008 Mazda5: SUBSTANTIAL CHANGES!!!!

Same for me, hope they'll make it at least as an option (+ traction control) for 2009... I don't understand why it's not there - the 3 has it(dunno)

ok add this I passed it on also

cruise for GS
Improved console leg or knee cap room
3 row window latch open for venting
power sliding
handles for second row enter or exit (special needs request)
winter mat for 3rd row lol ;)~~

Hope that is it

Contrary to the new 2008 specs posted, I can see that in the Mazda USA web site inventory there are several Sports, 5MT with the Popular Package, (cool)...

Example:

MODEL & TRIM
2008 MAZDA5 Sport
$18,630
153-hp 2.3L DOHC 16-valve inline 4-cylinder
Standard
5-Spd Manual
Standard

PACKAGES & OPTIONS
POPULAR EQUIPMENT PACKAGE $490
ALL-WEATHER FLOOR MATS $78
REAR BUMPER STEP PLATE $50
WHEEL LOCKS $50

Cool. 2008 specs are on mazdausa.com website.

I wonder how 5MT gets higher highway MPG on revised method with same gear ratio.

ok add this I passed it on also

cruise for GS
Improved console leg or knee cap room
3 row window latch open for venting
power sliding
handles for second row enter or exit (special needs request)
winter mat for 3rd row lol ;)~~

Hope that is it

Pardon my ignorance- But is this supposed to be a wish list, or what is coming on the 2009 model.

I'm holding out for the power sliding doors. Has anyone coverted theirs using JDM parts?

Power Doors Holdout Too

Although the JDM delivers 70% of Mazda 5's with power doors, Mazda North America adamantly refuses to make them available here based on an arbitrary marketing decision. The motors would fit the NA version but the wiring would be difficult without a wiring diagram and installation instructions translated into English.

Uncertain if the central control module is involved but, if it is, better have a programmer available to reprogram it. Power doors wern't available on the MPV for several years after introduction and I suspect they won't be available on the M5 until a boost in sales is needed. As for me, I'll just wait until it's available or until another automaker comes up with a similar model with power doors.

Pardon my ignorance- But is this supposed to be a wish list, or what is coming on the 2009 model.

I'm holding out for the power sliding doors. Has anyone coverted theirs using JDM parts?

The list above is a "what can we do to improve the Mazda 5" on next product change .

Just saw this and thought it might be interesting to add:
http://www.worldcarfans.com/9071203.007/2008-mazda5-facelift-set-for-bologna-debut

Some of the irritating differences from the NA model:
6-speed manual transmission
Power sliding doors

The wife and I have been in the market for a vehicle like this for a while, and if they sold the Euro version here, Mazda would certainly have our money.

(Well, they'd also have to add a power memory driver seat and dual climate control -- what can I say? We're lazy, and I like it cold in the car... :) )

Hooray for the Italians who are introducing power doors to their country at the Bologna show Dec. 5. If only the Big Boys in So. Cal. would cut the baloney and let us have 'em too.

for the "power sliding doors" feature that people are wanting,is that the "Easy close sliding door system" that Mazda advertises for the Mazda5? It is available in the NA market, but only on the 07 GT Canadian model. I am unsure of the 08. Maybe SparkyBhoy on the forum can clarify, since he just picked up a fresh GT 08. I assume that those parts and instructions should be available in Canada and in english.

I thought this would be an easy question to answer... (shrug)
Yes, the remote locks/unlocks the hatch, which by the way is made of plastic. The hatch has a handle above the license plate to open it, and there's no keyhole, nor does the glass lift separately from the hatch.

The power door option works just like it does in other minivans - power open and close using the remote or dash buttons.

Hooray for the Italians who are introducing power doors to their country at the Bologna show Dec. 5. If only the Big Boys in So. Cal. would cut the baloney and let us have 'em too.

Comparing all the global prices it may be that those doors don't make it into NA due to actual cost, as Mazda needs to be profitable in such a competitive market. In Europe they are paying the big bucks for those cars (they are better valued) so it may be easier to squeeze the costs somewhere in the price tag.

Looks cool though, but not sure if its really useful with such a light door:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU0eerV_xAw

One click of the unlock opens the drivers door. A further click opens all doors.

There are no specific trunk release buttons on the keyfob.

Thanks! Too bad they don't have a specific button just for the trunk (like my Mazda6). But that is better than nothing.

for the "power sliding doors" feature that people are wanting,is that the "Easy close sliding door system" that Mazda advertises for the Mazda5? It is available in the NA market, but only on the 07 GT Canadian model. I am unsure of the 08. Maybe SparkyBhoy on the forum can clarify, since he just picked up a fresh GT 08. I assume that those parts and instructions should be available in Canada and in english.

The 'ECSDS' on the 08GT is not a full power sliding door. To my mind a power sliding door is one that will auto open with the click of a button on the keyfob or inside the vehicle, and close by the same means.

What the 08GT (and 07 GT's) have is a slightly different set up. It does not have an auto slide open, nor an auto slide shut. What it does have is the ability to automatically close the door when it is about 1/2" (13mm for those of a metric nature ;)) from being fully closed/engaged.

All this means is that instead of slamming shut the extremely light sliding door, you can move it to an almost latch position, and let the auto close take it from there (if that makes any sense - it does in my head, but that counts for nothing).

Back