2008 Mazda5: SUBSTANTIAL CHANGES!!!!

Oh God they moved the steering wheel to the wrong side of the car! That will sooooo effect driveability! ROFL Swede, I'll be switching my tail-light bulbs to LED this weekend so I'll let you know how hard they are to get swapped. (thread-jacked, sorry)

2008 Mazda5 at the LA International Auto Show

I spend some time at the show press day that has a red color Mazda5 GT there, exactally the same red one with tan leather that we saw for the 08 press pictures. I will upload pictures tomorrow.

I ask the lady to turn on the power so that I can play with the Navigation but she said that the guy with keys was not there today.

2008 Mazda5 at the LA International Auto Show

I spend some time at the show press day that has a red color Mazda5 GT there, exactally the same red one with tan leather that we saw for the 08 press pictures.

I saw it there too. But didn't take any pictures. I did look (quickly) to see what had changed.

They redesigned the center stack from the navigation area to under the shifeter where it now flows into a redesigned center console, but the rest of the dash looks the same. The leather felt nice, the center row had redesigned armrests to match it's new outside armrests, and most important, the front license plate appears to be attached with a bracket and not by holes drilled into the bumper.

All in all, I'm still glad I bought an '07 Touring manual. The rear taillights still haven't grown on me and the front end looks way too happy!

47b7cf34b3127cceb0513e85a4dd00000035110AbsXLlqzbt2OA

47b7cf34b3127cceb0513e81a4d900000035110AbsXLlqzbt2OA

47b7cf34b3127cceb0513e8c25e400000035110AbsXLlqzbt2OA

47b7cf34b3127cceb0513e89a4d100000035110AbsXLlqzbt2OA

47b7cf34b3127cceb0513f74658400000026100AbsXLlqzbt2OA

Good pics.

Whaaaatt, no manual tranny? ;)

47b7cf34b3127cceb0513e81a4d900000035110AbsXLlqzbt2OA

No, but seriously, I like the happy face sucker (although the copper red color looks less bold than I initially imagined).

I'm still intrigued about the Sport trim taillights (I want to see them in person). As per the license plates, luckily where I live you only need the back bumper one, so I'm cool with that, it makes a good difference IMO.

I'm thinking about getting my wife a 08 Mazda5 GT. Looks like a great car. I wish they had back up sensors as an option, they help when you tint your windows really really dark. Does anyone know if they do?

Its nice to see that you guys don't have any trolls and flamers on this part of the forum. Go to the MS3 side and there are many smack talkers.

Have a nice day.

you can add reverse sensors to any car... ask your stealership or go to an alarm shop... they can help you out

So are there any '08s on local dealer lots? Mazda USA already has a lease deal posted for 2008 Mazda5's ($249/mo for 24 month, $1405 down) set to expire Jan 2, 2008. I would think models would be arriving at dealers before the expiration...

...anyway I've never leased before but this is tempting. Rather have a 36 month lease with a lower payment, though.

I wonder if they fixed the uncomfortable seats? Our '06 touring is like sitting in a movie theatre on long trips.

would the LCD monitor be on the dash board only if you option the navigation package?

Would appear to be. The non-nav version has a dark grey/blackish blank panel area in the vicinity of the stereo (see Blue Swedes thread for photos), wheras the nav version has a different interface.

This is how it looks without navigator display.

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 329
The Sport still has the fake aluminum dash and presumably the old instruments. The center console is changed to accommodate the air vents, I wonder if that's going to be retrofittable to us older owners.

Last edited:
First Impressions

Well, Mrs SparkyBhoy is certainly impressed with her new 08.

I spent an hour or so prodding bits and pieces in it, and installing the kids car seats.

The centre console, contrary to my thoughts, does hold CD's. The slot under the gearstick holds a cell phone, but it's not that great as the phone flew out when Mrs SparkyBoy 'picked away' from the traffic lights.

The rear air, as you will note on the photos, has 3 settings (Off, Low, High) and should be enough, combined with the floor vents, to get air moving to the 2nd row and a bit beyond. I'm sure it will be fine for the moderate summer temps we see here in B.C.

I love the wheels. I didn't when I looked at the spy-shots, but they look terrific in the flesh.

The new silver colour (Sunlight Silver?) is nice, and again, I prefer it to the 07 silver.

I am going to have a b**** of a time cleaning the bugs off of the 'honeycomb' grille on the front though!

The armrests in the 2nd row are either up...or down. They don't have the 'ratchet' system that I have seen in other vans, therefore the 'levelness' (that's not even a word is it) of the armrests will depend on the recline pitch of the seat back - if you follow me.

The black leather (part full/part perforated) with contrast stitching looks and feels great. The heated seats are nuclear warm though.

Very glad that I persevered and waited for the 08. I think we made the right choice - the 5 looks great.

Last edited:
Back