Introducing the cp-e CX-7 Dual Exhaust!!

Has a nice mellow wrx'ish boxer sound to it. (cool)

Excellent, glad to hear that you like the sound!! :)

It does sound like the wrx'x boxer engine a lot. I really like it.
Any special introductory price?
Hows the butt dyno?
Are the tips going to be similar to the ones used on the MSP3 http://www.cp-e.com/imgs/MSP3CATBACK_Pic_03.JPG ?

No details on price yet, but as I said earlier I think the owners would like to keep the price around that of our SPEED6 catback, which is currently MSRPing for $800. We should have pricing details for everyone here shortly.

Butt dyno doesn't indicate a whole lot, especially since we don't normally drive a CX7. So its hard for us to tell if there's a difference, and even if the catback exhaust does add power, I'd be surprised if it were a huge increase. So the gains should be hard to notice, I would imagine. But we do plan on dynoing it, but I wouldn't expect a huge increase from the catback. I think the downpipe is where the majority of the power is going to come from.

And we are going to be using the same tips as we do for the SPEED3. You can sort of see them in the idle video clip, but I'll see if I can get some shots from the rear of the car so you can see the tips a little clearer.

Nice. I'm interested. Will you do a group buy? Pls. post details for order info, pricing and such once you have them. Thanks for getting involved with the CX7

But we do plan on dynoing it, but I wouldn't expect a huge increase from the catback. I think the downpipe is where the majority of the power is going to come from.

I guess I'm a little fuzzy on turbo exhaust terminology...
So this solution that you guys are developing is the test pipe/middle of the exhaust back or "catback" which removes the 2nd cat and redoes everything after the 1st cat?

The downpipe you speak of is straight from the turbo, to the 1st cat? And you aren't developing a downpipe... or you are as well?

If so, would the downpipe delete the 1st cat, or does it offer some sort of high flow cat to eliminate CEL's?

I've read that some MS6's have trouble with a downpipe, it causes some sort of seal problems at the turbo. Since the CX-7 uses a different turbo I thought, I wonder if there are similar problems.

The CX7 exhaust consists of 3 components: downpipe which contains 1st cat and the downstream O2 sensor, the midpipe which contains the 2nd cat and a resonator (unusual setup as most cars have this 2nd cat as a separate part), and the rear muffler. The "catback" from CP-E is technically a downpipe back exhaust since the "cat" would be removed when you use the test/mid-pipe from CP-E. As far as I know CP-E has not announced any plan to make a downpipe. Also, I am not sure what sealing problems you are referring to.

The problem with the MS6 (maybe an owner can confirm) is not that the downpipe causes the damage. Removing the cats, just makes the faulty seals evident. This is a known issue, but not due to the exhaust itself. Aftermarket exhaust just makes it so you can see the problem.

This thread basically sums it up without having to go through 20+ posts.

So from the downpipe back, leaves the first cat and o2 sensors, and shouldn't cause a CEL I would assume?

Last edited:
This thread basically sums it up without having to go through 20+ posts.

So from the downpipe back, leaves the first cat and o2 sensors, and shouldn't cause a CEL I would assume?

That is correct. No CEL from removing the 2nd cat. However, if your state does tailpipe emissions, you may fail.

Yup, we're going into production here shortly! We wanted to sort of blitz the market, so the welding fixtures are already finished, and we're just waiting to finalize pricing and a few other details before production begins. In fact, we've already started taking pre-orders, so if anyone is interested you're more than welcome to give us a call (301-576-6142). Price will be very reasonable, and I believe the guys are trying to keep it in the neighborhood of our new SPEED6 dual exhaust MSRP, which is $800. As soon as we have a finalized price I'll post it up!

The test pipe does delete the second cat, and you can even split the exhaust system into two parts. we wanted to keep things modular so you can mix and match the test pipe and the rear section with the stock exhaust, depending on what you're looking for: Sound, performance, or both. I think our system currently is the only one that has this feature.

Are you saying $800 for the whole system (test pipe and dual exhaust)?

Are you saying $800 for the whole system (test pipe and dual exhaust)?

Yep, that is a ballpark estimate. We're working on pricing this weekend, and we'll break it up so that you can order a test pipe separately from the muffler section. But $800 is an estimate for the entire catback system consisting of both the test pipe and the muffler section.

I know labor rates, etc change depending on market/who you know/where you go. But, does anyone who has experience/know someone know roughly how much would it cost to get this whole package put on?

I know labor rates, etc change depending on market/who you know/where you go. But, does anyone who has experience/know someone know roughly how much would it cost to get this whole package put on?

Like you said, it'll totally depend on the labor rate at the shop you choose. Although I'm sure someone will say, "Yeah, well, my friend is a mechanic and he did it for $10," you're probably looking at about an hour of labor. So figure anywhere between $50 and $100 depending on the shop. Your best bet would be to open the phone book and just calling around. Tell them what you're looking to do and I'm sure they can give you a pretty accurate estimate over the phone.

Truth be told, you could probably swing the install in your driveway (if you have one) with a buddy or two, even if you've never worked on a car. We'll be including detailed installation instructions, so if you can loosen and tighten bolts, you shouldn't have much trouble with installing the exhaust system. Of course, I know not everyone likes working on cars, but I thought I'd throw that out there anyhow :D

This is true guys...a catback install is really one of the easiest mod installs you'll do. Its just a few bolts and hangers.

The best tool I ever bought is an exhaust hanger pliers. It just pops the rubber hangers right off. $30 well spent especially given the number of exhaust systems that I have removed/installed. Wrestling with the rubber hangers is aggravating otherwise.

Based on the pics, the CPE exhaust appears to follow the OEM routing, so ground clearance should be fine.

Back